Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much experience did you have before getting a L Visa?

How much experience did you have before getting a L Visa?

Old Jan 20th 2019, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much experience did you have before getting a L Visa?

Originally Posted by James2142

1) Some being H1-B's after grad school - I do know of one person personally who has been in that position although that was for Aeronautical engineering and he was in the right place at the right time. I'm under the impression 'speciality' degree's/majors that are more sought after tend to be in a more favourable position than say the Business degree/major that I hold, is this correct?
There is a specific amount of H-1B's allocated every year that are reserved for those with a masters or above from a US college. It's also not uncommon for recent grads in speciality engineering, design or computer science/engineering. Definitely seems to be less so in other areas.

2) Some users have said their employee's offered the chance to transfer to them without being approached though a handful have said they did query with their employer. Based on this, is it wrong to assume that the former is more likely provided I have built up enough experience and skill in job role?
This is going to vary employer by employer, their internal processes and their open roles. I wouldn't say one is more likely than the other.

3) For those that did approach their employer, what was the process like?
I approached mine as part of the leadership program, I expressed interest in a US based role to my manager (who was also US based) and he agreed; subsequently kicking off the HR process to enable the "temporary" move for a trial, which later became permanent. We utilized large corporate lawyers (Fragomen) for the immigration part and Cartus for the physical relocation services.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 8:46 am
Just Joined

LostSoulInThePark is an unknown quantity at this point

3) For those that did approach their employer, what was the process like?
I am currently following this path: we have an internal site where we list all kind of jobs available, if there is something that I like I apply and the process starts. If you are picked up you receive an offer and you decide to accept it or not. The terms of the offer vary depending on a number of variables, but unless you are targeting for a very high end role, expat level benefits may not be available to you.

Last edited by LostSoulInThePark; Jan 20th 2019 at 8:48 am. Reason: Sunday spelling :)
Old Jan 20th 2019, 3:14 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, new here.

With an L Visa, how much experience did you have in your field before your employer allowed you to transfer to the U.S branch? Were you offered to transfer by your employer or was it something you enquired about?

A bit about me - recently graduated and hold a Business and Management degree. My plan is to work in corporate banking and build experience over the next 5+ years and then see if I can apply for an L Visa. Earning the right to live and work in the U.S is something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember and reading the threads here from other users has me hopeful that with continued hard work and determination, I will be able to accomplish this.

I'm under the impression that a H1B Visa requires far more experience with all examples I've come across citing seniority with 5-7+ years in the role, even then, assuming there are no USC's who fit the job criteria so I believe the L1 Visa is my best bet?

Apologise for the questions and thank you for taking the time to read. Looking forward to discussing with you all!

James
i decided to move to NYC in 2001 after my first visit to NYC in September that year. At that point I had little post university work expensive. I moved on a L1a in 2010. In the mean time I had gained both work experience, New Zealand PR (indefinite returning residents visa) and and a graduate degree (done while working in New Zealand) and had lived and worked in the UK, New Zealnd, Sweden and Ireland. For an L1a it’s about being senior management (not just managing people, it can be a function as well, I had no direct reports, but was on the board of directors for the Irish subsidiary). I think if I had just focused on the US I could have achieved it in 7-8 years with some luck, but I made sure I had other options rather than just the US. I would visit the US at least 2 times a year, often a lot more to make sure I developed my networks and kept relationships I had built through work active. It was one of these that eventually led to an offer of job setting up the EU subsidiary for the US parent and it was that time where they eventually decided to transfer me to NYC.

If you are smart, hard working and understand that it is likely to take up to 10 years it should be doable (assuming no rule changes in that time), but a lot can happen in 10 years, so live your life everyday and don’t just focus on the dream.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding H-1s, things are getting harder now, but it’s all sort of degrees as long as your employer is willing to sponsor. It’s easier to find a sponsoring employer with certain degrees, engineering, accounting, computer science, information systems, economics. Basically professional type degrees where big employers are willing to sponsor. They don’t have to be big though, just that the bigger ones tend to sponsor more. I know a good number of people who got their H-1s after undergrad/grad. We all were international students in the US.
Also the L-1 is not necessarily senior management like was previously mentioned.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 11:38 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
Also the L-1 is not necessarily senior management like was previously mentioned.
That depends if you are talking L1a or L1b, the later being for specialized knowledge:

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoption...porary_workers

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

That depends if you are talking L1a or L1b, the later being for specialized knowledge:

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoption...porary_workers

Not really. Unless I don’t know what senior management is. An AVP at a global bank is nowhere near senior management and got an L-1A. It’s executive or managerial.

Last edited by fbf2006; Jan 22nd 2019 at 3:12 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:05 pm
tht

Originally Posted by fbf2006

Not really. Unless I don’t know what senior management is. An AVP at a global bank is nowhere near senior management and got an L-1A. It’s executive or managerial.
Yes that’s what the link says. As you note these things are relative to the organization:

”The L-1A visa is for intracompany transferees who work in managerial or executive positions in a company that is located outside the United States.“

“To qualify for the L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager, you must:
  • Generally have been working for a qualifying organization abroad for one continuous year within the three years immediately preceding his or her admission to the United States and
  • Be seeking to enter the United States to provide service in an executive or managerial capacity for a branch of the same employer or one of its qualifying organizations.
Executive capacity generally refers to the employee’s ability to make decisions of wide latitude without much oversight.

Managerial capacity generally refers to the ability of the employee to supervise and control the work of professional employees and to manage the organization, or a department, subdivision, function, or component of the organization. It may also refer to the employee’s ability to manage an essential function of the organization at a high level, without direct supervision of others. See section 101(a)(44) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended, and 8 CFR 214.2(l)(1)(ii) for complete definitions.

Note: To be eligible to qualify for L-1A classification, the employer must meet the General Qualifications of the Employer.”

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes there's a bit of hammering a square peg into a round hole process to make it happen.
With a major company they usually find a way with a wink and a nod.