Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much is enough – Northeast

How much is enough – Northeast

Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much is enough – Northeast

Originally Posted by dan_j
most of items from our typical basket are 30 to 50% cheaper
assuming tesco - wallmart comparison.
Just don't buy meat in Walmart, it's inedible. Fruit and veg is poor quality. Some of the prepackaged stuff is OK though.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

dan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by N1cky
Agreed, that was a like for like conversion. He's estimating they'll pay $500 in the US
Correction I topped it up to 600.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I was given a quote of 600 quid (monthly).
Despite all the grocery bill "doom mongers", including me, I think we'd all agree that the best (lowest cost) possible outcome would be that you'd spend the same number of dollars as you currently spend pounds. And the would be a stretch. ..... $500? Not a hope in hell!
Originally Posted by robin1234
Just don't buy meat in Walmart, it's inedible. Fruit and veg is poor quality. Some of the prepackaged stuff is OK though.
Agreed, the meat at Walmart is generally poor quality, we find the fruit and vegetable "variable", perhaps because it doesn't have to be transported all the way to New England or northern Upstate NY. In-season salad vegetables are generally OK at Walmart, as is sweet corn, down here at least.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2014 at 6:07 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:05 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Still not enough.

With a family of 5, how many loaves of bread do you go through in 1 week?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, that was a like for like conversion. He's estimating they'll pay $500 in the US
Ah - apologies I misunderstood

Maybe budget for $900-ish a month if you go for the low-end equivalent of what you are spending now. Sounds like a lot but you need to see it as a proportion of your likely household income in the US. Oh and make sure you get a bread-maker.

Yeah it's a bit big. About 3,000 sq ft. I'm sort of looking forward to moving back to England, and buying a really tiny new build ... you know, the kind where the second bedroom is actually too small for a bed. And the garden is 30ft by 15ft instead of 5 acres ...
Not the worst idea. I've got a couple of acres of woods now and it's all a little overwhelming.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Oct 9th 2014 at 6:10 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

dan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of light

point taken my wife is quite savvy in those matters, she makes her own bread
and this kind of stuff ... she has her own golden rule: "you can judge the store by its floor ..."
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Still not enough.

How many do you go through? The three of us get through most of a loaf most weeks, but never more than one. If I stopped eating bread a loaf would last us a month.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Still not enough.

3 home made ones:
Mama D's Italian Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com

, depending on the week maybe + one from telcos as well:
Warburtons Toastie Sliced White Bread 800G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Like I said my wives reviewed the US market prices, we are comfortable with
$600.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:19 pm

... Like I said my wives reviewed ....
How many do you have?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

$600.
Despite that fact that every single person that's actually living in the US (many in the area you're looking at) have said that it's unrealistic, and that you'll be eating rubbish if you try to stick to that budget?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

$600.
That's the equivalent of slashing your existing food budget to 400 quid.

To have the best chance of hitting that target aim to do your shopping at Market Basket. Avoid Price Chopper.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Oct 9th 2014 at 6:22 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Ali M is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in NH, and as a child there was not at all aware of costs.... But, we lived very comfortably, and we never had air conditioning in our house, nor did I ever know anyone who did. It's unusual there, although the summers are nicely hot. Also, you certainly will not need a 4x4, as someone mentioned. Roads are plowed very clear, and salted like crazy. You will just need a good shovel and a strong back for your own driveway. Summers are gorgeous there, but winters are fierce and long. I wouldn't move back because of the winters - I like to be outdoors too much and the winters can really make you feel cooped up. But there's a lot to love, too: mountains, coastline (a little), lakes, gorgeous summers...
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Quick summary:

- $ 600 groceries (possibly up to $900)
- $ 300 car insurance - 2 cars
- $ 20 Umbrella Insurance
- $ 120 internet, phone, TV
- $ 200 propane based heating / air conditioning(avg) 3 bedroom (~2000 sq./ft.)
{oil based NE - might be as much as about $600-800 per month from November-March, overall yearly 6K - 3,000 sq ft.}
- $ ___ electricity (avg / month) 5 people - 3 bedroom house (up to $200 - 250 month)
- $ ___ extra school spendings (after school activities including sport related)
- $ 150 3 cell plans
- $ 250 (70c / litre / on avg 3050 km shared by 2 cars per month with avg 10l / 100km)
- $ ___ water (avg / month)
- $2000 rent - 3 bedroom (~200 sq./ft.)
- $____ medical insurance - ($300 to $1500) family of 5 depending on work based benefits (if any) and an income
- $____ water (n/a if renting)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT: $3640

Pointers:
- get a job with medical insurance included,
- rent a house, with efficient / modern heating system preferably propane based,
- rent a house in the within a (even small) city area, it would lower gas costs

Any other thoughts, especially on electricity (just have had one report so far), water, school and after school spendings
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Despite that fact that every single person that's actually living in the US (many in the area you're looking at) have said that it's unrealistic, and that you'll be eating rubbish if you try to stick to that budget?
I think our work here is done.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How many do you go through? The three of us get through most of a loaf most weeks, but never more than one. If I stopped eating bread a loaf would last us a month.
but how much cake do you eat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.