Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much is enough – Northeast

How much is enough – Northeast

Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

dan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much is enough – Northeast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Surely your wife will want to know about jobs and where you will be living rather than minutiae of a budget. I would approach it from "We can get jobs paying x amount in y area. Does that translate into an improvement in our living standards?"

Shes eyeballing this thread and she couldn't agree more ... however
we want to understand what costs are involved.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

dan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of lightdan_j is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
200 sq ft is also going to be a bit of a squeeze.
Hmm we are on 100 sq ft at the minute, we should manage on 200 I guess.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Dan_J - What's your line of work? Maybe we could help recommend somewhere for you to go.

That budget is roughly in line with what you might spend in NJ, if you're happy to be 40-50 miles from the NYC area. You might also get by in MA if you're not in the Boston suburbs, maybe out towards Worcester.

And yep, never underestimate the amount of driving you'll do in the US. Most of the suburban US is not walkable, most of the time you'll have to drive just to get to the local shops. Also, expect no more than 20-25mpg (9.5-11l/100km) from a family-sized vehicle over there, and you'll probably want two cars if both you and your missus actually want to get around.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_j
Hmm we are on 100 sq ft at the minute, we should manage on 200 I guess.
You're missing a zero, I believe, or quoting m², which amounts to the same thing. My tiny two bed terraced house in London was 750sqft. My mother's four bed semi in the UK is about 1,200 sqft.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2014 at 3:17 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IMO almost everything you have on that list is low, sometimes very low. I can't fathom your liters and Kms gas calculation, but with two vehicles I will guarantee you'll be spending more than $100 a month. You end up driving a lot more in the US, you just do, especially with three children. I'd start with a budget of $250 for gas. We spend more than twice that and only have one child.

I am also fairly sure that you'll be spending a lot more on heating than $1,200/yr. We have natural gas, which is much cheaper, and live a lot further south, with shorter, milder winters than the NE and are paying probably about $1,000 for winter heating above and beyond the gas we use to heat our water. I'd budget about $2,000 for heating, and more if it's oil fired.

In the short term, first couple of years, I'd say the insurance will be more than $200/mth for two cars- and be aware that there are "state minimum" policies that provide pathetically low coverage and leave you exposed to be sued if you injure or kill someone.

Your groceries budget also looks low. I am fairly sure we're spending more than $450/mth for groceries and household supplies for a family of three. We aren't having steak dinners three nights a week, and Mrs P buys most of our tinned and packet groceries plus paper goods and cleaning supplies at Walmart. For a family of five I'd be surprised if your monthly bills don't come to at least $600, and could easily be more if you don't keep a very close eye on expenditures.
Fair points Mr. P., per your pointers umbrella insurance was added (i was thinking about it anyway), I topped up car ins., heating
and groceries as well.

- $ 600 groceries
- $ 300 car insurance - 2 cars
- $ 20 Umbrella Insurance
- $ 120 internet, phone, TV
- $ 200 propane based heating / air conditioning(avg) 3 bedroom (~2000 sq./ft.) + 100 (avg / month oil based)
- $ ___ electricity (avg / month) 5 people - 3 bedroom house
- $ ___ extra school spendings
- $ 150 3 cell plans
- $ 250 (70c / litre / on avg 6250 km on 2 cars per month with avg 8l / 100km)
- $ ___ water (avg / month)
- $2000 rent - 3 bedroom (~200 sq./ft.)
- $____ ($300 to $1500) family of 5 depending on work based benefits (if any) and an income
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT: $3640

Now we are close to $50K (net dollars) on basic monthly spendings w/o even including medical bills at all.
This is going to be interesting ....
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

You're missing a zero, I believe, or quoting m², which amounts to the same thing. My tiny two bed terraced house in London was 750sqft. My mother's four bed semi in the UK is about 1,200 sqft.
Right, I'm on almost 90 sq m. so it would be close to 1000 sq. ft.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

If you're looking at New England, and rent a house, you'll probably be on oil heat, which will run you about $6-800 per month from November-March.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Now we are close to $50K (net dollars) on basic monthly spendings w/o even including medical bills at all.
This is going to be interesting ....
See my earlier post, #9, above.

And you have elected to keep entertainment, and clothing costs out of your budget. Also, are you ever planning to return to visit "the folks back home"? Even the shorter flight from Boston is going to run you a minimum of $800/seat, and quite possibly $1,000 or more during the summer and Christmas peak seasons.

Is Mrs J going to be working? If so, might I bring up the costs of "after school care", and "summer camp" costs?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Dan_J - What's your line of work? Maybe we could help recommend somewhere for you to go.

That budget is roughly in line with what you might spend in NJ, if you're happy to be 40-50 miles from the NYC area. You might also get by in MA if you're not in the Boston suburbs, maybe out towards Worcester.

And yep, never underestimate the amount of driving you'll do in the US. Most of the suburban US is not walkable, most of the time you'll have to drive just to get to the local shops. Also, expect no more than 20-25mpg (9.5-11l/100km) from a family-sized vehicle over there, and you'll probably want two cars if both you and your missus actually want to get around.
Ok, i'm updating our virtual fuel allowance, 10l / 100km should get us through close to 3.5K km
shared by two cars, that should suffice, i hope

- $ 600 groceries
- $ 200 propane based heating / air conditioning(avg) 3 bedroom (~2000 sq./ft.) + 100 (avg / month oil based)
- $ 150 3 cell plans
- $ 250 (70c / litre / on avg 3050 km shared by 2 cars per month with avg 10l / 100km)
- $____ ($300 to $1500) family of 5 depending on work based benefits (if any) and an income
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by studentgwant
If you're looking at New England, and rent a house, you'll probably be on oil heat, which will run you about $6-800 per month from November-March.

just adding your comment at this point I have to come to terms with it

- $ 600 groceries
{Oil NE - about $600-800 per month from November-March}
- $ 150 3 cell plans
- $ 250 (70c / litre / on avg 3050 km shared by 2 cars per month with avg 10l / 100km)
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As you haven't addressed queries with regard to employment, perhaps you already have something lined up. If not, something to consider adding to your expenses is a period of time with nothing coming in while you look for work -- a position a number of new immigrants on this forum have found themselves in. Also, initially you will probably find yourself paying out a lot in deposits for services like electricity as you will have no credit record over here. In the northeast, also think in terms of snow ploughing costs in the winter, which can add up alarmingly some years.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

just adding your comment at this point I have to come to terms with it
Pretty much all of the Northeast gets absolutely horrible winters - days on end of sub-zero temperatures, ice storms, snow measured in feet, not inches, frequent power cuts and so on. It'll be a bit of a wakeup call. Before I moved there, I thought all the big 4WD pickups and SUVs were just conspicuous consumption, then I saw my first NJ winter and realised they actually need them to get anywhere!

The closer you are to a decent-sized town the more likely it'll be that there'll be people salting and ploughing the roads on a regular basis during winter, so bear that in mind. Otherwise it's entirely possible you could be housebound for much of the time during the winter.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

See my earlier post, #9, above.

And you have elected to keep entertainment, and clothing costs out of your budget. Also, are you ever planning to return to visit "the folks back home"? Even the shorter flight from Boston is going to run you a minimum of $800/seat, and quite possibly $1,000 or more during the summer and Christmas peak seasons.

Is Mrs J going to be working? If so, might I bring up the costs of "after school care", and "summer camp" costs?
I'm aware of those I'm not looking at them at this point, though, I want to asses
an absolute / "average" minimum I need to deliver for monthly.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom one is medical? That's very hard to budget for without knowing what benefits you can get with your job. On top of the premiums you have to ay a 'copay' for prescriptions and doctor visits, and may have a deductible (excess).

School, well we were in LA but there were quite a few extras. All writing materials, notebooks etc. PE kit. They are big on sport which can get quite expensive if any of your children get on a team. Your kids will want to do some after-school clubs. The schools also have a lot of fundraisers which it's hard to get out of. Don't forget all the birthday parties.I don't know what figure to put on it.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of those I'm not looking at them at this point, though, I want to asses
an absolute / "average" minimum I need to deliver for monthly.
Can you give any clue as to type of work? Would it include medical benefits, for instance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.