Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to bring your pet dog?

How much does it cost to bring your pet dog?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:35 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it cost to bring your pet dog?

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Thanks Sam

I really underestimated how much it would cost! Looks like I'm gonna have to do some serious sweet talking to my OH! Did you book it directly through the airline or as part of a package like Airpets?
Hi Keira

I brought my dog over with United Airlines and she traveled on the same flight as me and we booked her as excess baggage also, cost about 50GBP, although that was in 2003. Brought my cat a year later with BMI but she had to go through a cargo terminal even though she was on the same flight as me, cost 295 GBP. I did everything myself both times. With my dog we got her the pet passport in case we came back to the UK for any reason. There is a set sequence of events that DEFRA like in order to get the pet passport ie microchip, rabies shot, then blood test and a letter of fitness to travel from your vet. Your dog can't travel back into the UK for 6 months after entering the US I believe. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/index.htm for more info.

The Center for Disease Control have these regs too. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

Good luck

Maggie
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sam

I really underestimated how much it would cost! Looks like I'm gonna have to do some serious sweet talking to my OH! Did you book it directly through the airline or as part of a package like Airpets?
Be careful you check the requirements for the state you are living in. When I enquired some states required a rabies shot before entering the state...for some states it was the 'live' rabies vaccine. Obviously it may have changed now but it's best to check.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi Keira

I brought my dog over with United Airlines and she traveled on the same flight as me and we booked her as excess baggage also, cost about 50GBP, although that was in 2003. Brought my cat a year later with BMI but she had to go through a cargo terminal even though she was on the same flight as me, cost 295 GBP. I did everything myself both times. With my dog we got her the pet passport in case we came back to the UK for any reason. There is a set sequence of events that DEFRA like in order to get the pet passport ie microchip, rabies shot, then blood test and a letter of fitness to travel from your vet. Your dog can't travel back into the UK for 6 months after entering the US I believe. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/index.htm for more info.

The Center for Disease Control have these regs too. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

Good luck

Maggie
Thanks Maggie. The regulations are a bit confusing. It said most dogs have to have proof of rabies vaccination (fair enough) but then it said, however, dogs coming from a country free of rabies could be allowed to enter without proof of vaccination. I think I'll need to ring to find out categorically what i need.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Be careful you check the requirements for the state you are living in. When I enquired some states required a rabies shot before entering the state...for some states it was the 'live' rabies vaccine. Obviously it may have changed now but it's best to check.
And yes I will find out the states regulations too.

So much to do, so little time!!
I'm worrying again!

Right it's late now, I'm off to bed. Speak to you all tomorrow!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Maggie. The regulations are a bit confusing. It said most dogs have to have proof of rabies vaccination (fair enough) but then it said, however, dogs coming from a country free of rabies could be allowed to enter without proof of vaccination. I think I'll need to ring to find out categorically what i need.

And yes I will find out the states regulations too.

So much to do, so little time!!
I'm worrying again!

Right it's late now, I'm off to bed. Speak to you all tomorrow!!!
Sleep well...night.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

ukmuminusa has a spectacular aura aboutukmuminusa has a spectacular aura aboutukmuminusa has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Sam

We booked with a company called Par Air Services.

I think you can book directly with some airlines I think NWA is one who let you book directly BUT I think its prob best left to the experts as then at least you know you havent filled in a form wrong or something!!!!!

Our flights for our dog were arranged less than 3 weeks before he flew I think they like at least 2 weeks notice, so depending on when you are moving dont let it worry you too much regarding time frames.

On the rabies sie of thing regardless of whether the state you move to requires you to have the vaccine I would get it done at least a month before your dog is landing on US soil just to play it safe as the last thing you want is your dog not being immunised for rabies, best to get it in his system ASAP. It wasnt expensive £20 I think.

Last edited by ukmuminusa; Aug 1st 2007 at 11:55 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that most airlines don't take pets if you need a connecting flight between May to Sept due to heat on the ramps during those maps. Check the airline websites. We bought 3 cats and a dog 5 years ago, about 800GPB each as I remember, which included a week in kennels as we went ahead of them. You can probably add 100GPB to that for shots, forms, certificates etc.

- Tim
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

West highland from Uk to New Jersey cost us £900

And cost back is £950 not including vets checks etc.

Good luck, hope it goes well xx
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:01 pm
Kit

kitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nicekitmax is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukmuminusa
Hi
Hi
We recently move to the US (La Crosse in Wisconsin).
not far from where i was, Spring Green about 90 miles on US-14, have you been there in winter yet, wrap up
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Be careful, Keira, about flying your pets cargo. There was a 20/20 or Dateline type of show a couple yrs. ago about some pets dying on the way over because of extreme heat and lack of water.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
Be careful, Keira, about flying your pets cargo. There was a 20/20 or Dateline type of show a couple yrs. ago about some pets dying on the way over because of extreme heat and lack of water.
Thanks Denise. I actually just got a quote from Airpets (the link provided earlier on thread) and they've quoted me over £1500! Mind you that includes picking said woofer up from our house and keeping him in kennels for 2 nights while they sort out vet certificate and everything else! Luckily we have just been informed by hubbies work that they do cover the cost of transporting ONE pet to our relocation area! What a relief!

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by deniseincarmel
That's the reason most airlines won't fly pets during the summer months.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Good, JG.

Keira, I believe congratulations are in order!!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:43 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Denise. I actually just got a quote from Airpets (the link provided earlier on thread) and they've quoted me over £1500! Mind you that includes picking said woofer up from our house and keeping him in kennels for 2 nights while they sort out vet certificate and everything else! Luckily we have just been informed by hubbies work that they do cover the cost of transporting ONE pet to our relocation area! What a relief!

Thanks for all your help guys!
Well done Keira. Great news that your husbands company will pay for your dog to travel over.

Maggie