Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much does a certain university want to be home of the G.W. Bush Presidential Libr

How much does a certain university want to be home of the G.W. Bush Presidential Libr

Old Oct 19th 2005, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

whitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to all
Default How much does a certain university want to be home of the G.W. Bush Presidential Libr

My school ( SMU ) is one of two local finalists. The other is a much smaller but more academically challenging university, one that doesn't mind the "liberal arts" appellation, which will probably hurt its chances. The conservo-uni has been hustling like mad to make the campus ready for the presence of his Holiness (by which I mean James Dobson or some other Christian prez-polisher). It's a kiss-up fest over here like you have never seen.

To clear the acreage needed for the library complex, the school evicted a few hundred residents of an apartment community the school had acquired over on the easternmost side of the school. Some of the ousted residents were elderly, owned their apartments and had lived there for more than 20 years. They were given no choice. Out by July. The school's reason for the sudden evictions? Mold.

Details of the library offer haven't been made public, but the pumor has it that besides building Bush an enormous pile of bricks dedicated to his achievements as president, "staff" assigned to the place will have posh living quarters provided. (President Clinton's library/museum in Little Rock includes a penthouse for him.)

I’ve also heard that Karl Rove would be awarded a permanent, endowed chair in some department. More evidence of the Bush Library/Welcome Karl Rove to campus connection. Herr Karl was sighted last week being shown around the uni with his son, a prospective student. If there were a red carpet long enough to extend from the entrance all the way back to the quad, it would have been rolled out in their honor.
Dr. Phil's kid, by the way, is now in his first semester as a frosh. He lives in a dorm on-campus in a room that is fitted out pretty sweetly, complete with flat-screen TV. Dr. P's oldest boy is a gradjeate of the law school, soon to be known as the alma mater of the newest member of the Supremes, Harriet "My perm is worse than Condoleezza's" Miers.

And here's another piece of the puzzle. A Department of Education was quickly tossed together last spring. Adjunct faculty were hired and although there is no office space, classroom space or even a corner of a building dedicated to the new major, it now exists. Why the sudden need for education majors? Ah, back to the Bush library again. What I've heard--and from some folks inside the new department--is that a requirement of a school housing this presidential worship center, er, library, is that it must have an education major. Voila! The Ashleys now can major in PR with a minor in elem-ed. No rich child left behind.

Did I mention that Laura is an alumnee? Seems inevitable: The Busheviks will get their library on the campus. And the football team will continue to suck. Can I hear an amen? I love my school.