Reload this Page >

How to move money from UK to USA

How to move money from UK to USA

Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to move money from UK to USA

hi guys

I am due to immigrate to the USA end of march and need to move my money from my UK account to a US one.

The hard thing is i cant actually open my US one until I get my SS number so I guess I can move the money into my husbands account for the time being (lucky him).

Does anybody know the best way to move my money over. Does anyone also know if I am able to keep my UK account open despite being the USA. ( I sometimes get ad hoc payments into my account for past work?

Best wishes

mia
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to move money from UK to USA

Originally Posted by miami078
Does anybody know the best way to move my money over.
www.xe.com

Does anyone also know if I am able to keep my UK account open despite being the USA.
Of course you can.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Dont even consider closing you account .. you will never get it opened again ..if fact open a spare saving account ..while you are there ..
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miami078
a) Does anybody know the best way to move my money over.

b) Does anyone also know if I am able to keep my UK account open despite being the USA.
a) I use ukforex.com, XE and HifX are two others mentioned on here. You want to use one of them rather than your bank who will rip you off by comparison.

b) It depends on the bank. Some won't let you leave it open if you aren't resident in the UK. As was said try and keep one open there just in case.....it's nearly impossible to open one when you aren't resident.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
a) I use ukforex.com, XE and HifX are two others mentioned on here. You want to use one of them rather than your bank who will rip you off by comparison.

b) It depends on the bank. Some won't let you leave it open if you aren't resident in the UK. As was said try and keep one open there just in case.....it's nearly impossible to open one when you aren't resident.
Prior to emigrating here I explained what I was doing to my Nationwide BS branch and yes you have to be resident in the UK to open an account wih them. However they were quite happy with a friends UK address to put on their record as my address change. I just service the account online and my friend gets all the interest rate change/advertising letters.

Last edited by Zonie; Jan 27th 2010 at 7:24 pm. Reason: spooling
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

I have always found both Currencies Direct and HIFX to offer a good service and they always claim to beat the banks on exchange rates, oh and do not charge transfer fees.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

and i got US bank accounts without an ssn.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Taelr is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have any ideas how I get my UK pension payments to the US when I don't have a UK bank account? And it looks impossible to open a UK bank account now.

I've been here for 14 years and have no dealings with the UK and have had no need for a bank account there.

So what do I tell my annuity providers where to send my money?

I can't be the first to have hit this issue.

HIFX looks good as far as moving the money but they still require a UK bank as the source.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taelr
Anyone have any ideas how I get my UK pension payments to the US when I don't have a UK bank account? And it looks impossible to open a UK bank account now.

I've been here for 14 years and have no dealings with the UK and have had no need for a bank account there.

So what do I tell my annuity providers where to send my money?

I can't be the first to have hit this issue.

HIFX looks good as far as moving the money but they still require a UK bank as the source.
your annuity provider should have arrangement for that
Never know one that didnt
Old Jan 29th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Taelr is an unknown quantity at this point

Ray,

Thanks. I have added that to my IFAs list to check. :-)