British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How many states have you visited? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-many-states-have-you-visited-692184/)

MrEmjoy Nov 4th 2010 8:29 pm

Re: How many states have you visited?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 8961769)
Washington
South Dakota
Illinois
Kansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Virginia
Florida
California
Arizona
Colorado
Alabama
Iowa
Tennesee

You missed Misery. :huh:

Giantaxe Nov 4th 2010 8:51 pm

Nine to go, including North Dakota. That's going to be tricky as I've been to all the surrounding states and have no reason to go there (other than to say I've been). Interestingly, it was the last state visited by Bill Clinton during his presidency, just before the end of his second term.

bevinva Nov 4th 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by clemato (Post 8961970)
Virginia, yes. It's a great state and I love it here! Beautiful :)

Here is a list of the State abbreviations we use (every State is 2 letters): U.S. Postal Service Link

I'm very well aware the VA = Virginia, I live there. I was wondering why Poppy liked it. She must not have been to the armpit that is Tidewater.:rofl:

Sally Redux Nov 4th 2010 9:39 pm

Hardly any. California of course. Spent a week in Philadelphia with a day trip to New York, 2 weeks in Colorado and 2 vacations in Hawaii.

Ooh, and Nashville - is that Tennessee?

MrEmjoy Nov 4th 2010 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8962176)

Ooh, and Nashville - is that Tennessee?

Yup.

Xebedee Nov 4th 2010 10:03 pm

All 51 of them

elfman Nov 4th 2010 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 8961453)
However, where do you stand if travel was on a regional jet and a few steps of tarmac were crossed to access the airport gate?

People have gone to war over less.

what about when you drive 20 yards over the state line, have your picture taken by the "Welcome to South Carolina" sign and then leave, as my sister in law's now ex-fiancee did last summer just to tick another state off the list?

Manc Nov 5th 2010 12:00 am

all 48 lower states.

drop step Nov 5th 2010 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 8962463)
all 48 lower states.

49 if you include the wonderful state of insanity right? I think you forgot to count the state you reside in Manc.

Giantaxe Nov 5th 2010 12:08 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962461)
what about when you drive 20 yards over the state line, have your picture taken by the "Welcome to South Carolina" sign and then leave, as my sister in law's now ex-fiancee did last summer just to tick another state off the list?

I would count it,a lthough this doesn't apply to any state I've visited. I don't, however, count states where my only "visit" is to change planes at an airport in it, without actually leaving the airport.

Poppy girl Nov 5th 2010 12:48 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 8961514)
:eek:

Where in Illinois did you have the misfortune to visit?

I lived in Bloomington and then Napervile, worked had his family the ex's in Peoria and Champagne....have a buddy in Pontiac, oh and used to go to Decatur quite a bit...........makes Modesto look like Paradise :lol:

Poppy girl Nov 5th 2010 12:49 am

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 8961863)
Virginia?:blink:

Yes love the place I have friends in Upperville and Middleburg area! :)

drop step Nov 5th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 8961881)
It was like that here yesterday and back home (Aberdeen) it's like that everyday :eek:

It can't be as bad as Maine in the winter. All the vertigo-inducing grey there actually caused my wife to have a few sensory illusions due to the loss of visual cues to orientation..I mean it's bad there

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 12:59 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8961263)
next up was going to be Hawaii - my sister in law was all set to get married there next March but since she split up with her fiancee last month that's not going to happen and I don't know where my next new state trip is going to come from.

I'm sorry to hear that your sister's engagement fell through. Your next trip is to Ohio, right? You haven't been and I'm sure I could find at least a day's worth of neat stuff to show you. :)

drop step Nov 5th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 8962480)
I would count it

Why not-I think Manc is counting "Message Boards from different states" he's visited.

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 1:06 am

I'm curious ... those of you who have only been to an Ohio airport, which Ohio airport did you visit? ;)

Seneca21 Nov 5th 2010 1:12 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8961082)
For the travelers amongst us...

I'll begin by saying that I never intended to try to travel to all of them. My first half a dozen trips to the US (in the 80s and 90s) were all to Florida. Then I visited California and Nevada on my (first) honeymoon, then New York City shortly after we split up. It was after meeting the new Mrs tonrob-to-be that we decided to quit our jobs and go traveling for a year, 85 days of which was spend driving around the US.

Shortly after returning to the UK I joined a company with offices in New England, which led to trips across the pond that helped me scoop in all the surrounding states before finally moving here to live in 2005.

I have to say that I have never purposely gone out of my way to try to visit new states just to say I've been - in fact the last 'new' state I visited was Oregon in 2008. But yesterday, thanks to a couple of people dropping out at the last minute, a work colleague and fellow beer monster asked me to accompany him on a lightning trip to Winnipeg and Dubuque leaving Sunday.

Now Winnipeg I've been to before and it's a dump (although I have found a British pub near the hotel that also looks to be the only Beeradvocate listed pub in downtown Winnipeg - it serves beer from the local Half Pints Brewing Company and also has vindaloo on the menu). But Dubuque is where things get interesting. My ears picked up when I heard him mention it's in Iowa. That's a new state for me. But can you even begin to imagine my excitement when a glance at Mapquest shows that it's half a bloody mile from Wisconsin!!!:eek:

So by this time next week I'll be another 2 states down and just 8 to go:

North Dakota
South Dakota
Minnesota
Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Alaska

Yay me. :)

28 states over the years.

MandyNi Nov 5th 2010 1:29 am

So far 23. Not bad for someone who just arrived in July LOL!

elfman Nov 5th 2010 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8962553)
I'm sorry to hear that your sister's engagement fell through. Your next trip is to Ohio, right? You haven't been and I'm sure I could find at least a day's worth of neat stuff to show you. :)

My wife's sister, actually.
TBH we're all a bit relieved for various reasons. On top of the whole is-she-marrying-someone not-right-for-her issue I have to say Hawaii has never been near the top of my places I want to visit list.

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 2:01 am

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 8962580)
So far 23. Not bad for someone who just arrived in July LOL!

Not bad indeed! You go, girl!

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 2:04 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962624)
My wife's sister, actually.
TBH we're all a bit relieved for various reasons. On top of the whole is-she-marrying-someone not-right-for-her issue I have to say Hawaii has never been near the top of my places I want to visit list.

Maybe it's for the best then. Don't think I didn't notice that you ignored my Ohio offer. :sneaky:

elfman Nov 5th 2010 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8962632)
Don't think I didn't notice that you ignored my Ohio offer. :sneaky:

well sell it to me then - come on, what have you got?

Seneca21 Nov 5th 2010 2:12 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962641)

Toledo.

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Seneca21 (Post 8962647)
Toledo.

That's my hometown, seriously. :lol:

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962641)

Oh wow, the pressure! I need to think a bit about what would most appeal to Elfman ...

Wait - hey - I live here! That counts for a little something, right? ;)

Were you someone who had been to an Ohio airport? Not Cincinnati I assume?

elfman Nov 5th 2010 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8962658)
Oh wow, the pressure! I need to think a bit about what would most appeal to Elfman ...

Wait - hey - I live here! That counts for a little something, right? ;)

Were you someone who had been to an Ohio airport? Not Cincinnati I assume?

No, I've never been through an Ohio airport.
OK, so if I ever come to southern Ohio I've got a place to stay sorted (I assume you have a spare room or a habitable basement), but what about sights, stuff to do? Got any castles?

Seneca21 Nov 5th 2010 2:37 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962669)
OK, so if I ever come to southern Ohio I've got a place to stay sorted (I assume you have a spare room or a habitable basement), but what about sights, stuff to do? Got any castles?

Of course they have. Toledo has a great medieval castle on the banks of the Tagus, the Alcazar fortress, and some wonderful Moorish architecture.

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 2:40 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962669)

I said I'd show you around. Now I'm supposed to put you up? Sheesh, Elfman, pushy pushy! ;)

Regarding castles - funny you should ask! Here's our local castle:

http://www.lovelandcastle.com/

I bet you didn't think I'd have one to post, did you?. ;)

Aside from that we have professional sports (that you can afford to attend!), historic neighborhoods (by US standards), a symphony, opera, ballet, lots of theater, duck boat tours, an aquarium, one of the only Hoffbrauhaus in the US and local chili that has cocoa and cinnamon in it.

Oh ... and I hear they're rebuilding Butter Jesus. We could roadtrip north to include that in your itinerary!

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 5th 2010 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Seneca21 (Post 8962676)

Hmmm ... allow me to edit this for you. See above. :rolleyes:

What Toledo has - is The Mud Hens and Tony Packo's. Nuff said.

elfman Nov 5th 2010 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8962680)
IRegarding castles - funny you should ask! Here's our local castle:

I bet you didn't think I'd have one to post, did you?.

Sign me up for the "Scary Knight Tour" please. :)

penguinsix Nov 5th 2010 4:03 am

34 states, two territories

Massachusetts
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Rhode Island
Connecticut
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Michigan
Missouri
Texas
Iowa
Minnesota
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Colorado
Utah
Nevada
Arizona
California
Washington
Hawaii

District of Columbia
Johnston Atoll (US Possession)

another bloody yank Nov 5th 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 8962063)
You missed Misery. :huh:

I'll be damn'd. :huh:

tonrob Nov 5th 2010 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 8961298)
Depends on what characterises a 'visit'. The missus and I have a quasi competition on this where she argues she can claim a state if she has made a flight connection through the state. I say no way - shouldn't count.

It's a great question, and one I've debated with friends on and off for a while. On one of my early trips to Florida the plane stopped at Bangor on the way, so for years I was saying I'd "visited Maine". Later on when I'd been to a few more states it felt silly to claim that one as I hadn't even got off the plane. (Now living in New England I have of course made several 'legitimate' Maine trips).

Mrs tonrob reckons you have to at least stay overnight to count a state. That rules a few out that I've driven though. My visit to Arkansas was simply a 30 minute jaunt in the car from Memphis, but I did stop to have a pee while there so I think you may need to pee in a state to count it. (In which case would a poo count double?)

I will be sleeping in Iowa next week, but my Wisconsin visit will be as shameless as my Arkansas one (note to self - drink three cups of tea before setting out just to make sure).

GeoffM Nov 5th 2010 11:39 am

Of the lower 48 I have not been to:
WY
SD
MI
ME
Hmm, so that's 44. Each state I have either set foot in (not an airport) or been through on Amtrak or driven through. If you only count states where I've overnighted in a land hotel then it's 17 plus DC.

Macca67 Nov 5th 2010 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8962461)

That's a tricky one, however I wouldn't allow it for two reasons:

1. It's just not in the spirit of the game,

2. Borderline twattish behaviour.

Not hard to see why the SiL dumped him.

Macca67 Nov 5th 2010 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8963155)
It's a great question, and one I've debated with friends on and off for a while. On one of my early trips to Florida the plane stopped at Bangor on the way, so for years I was saying I'd "visited Maine". Later on when I'd been to a few more states it felt silly to claim that one as I hadn't even got off the plane. (Now living in New England I have of course made several 'legitimate' Maine trips).

Mrs tonrob reckons you have to at least stay overnight to count a state. That rules a few out that I've driven though. My visit to Arkansas was simply a 30 minute jaunt in the car from Memphis, but I did stop to have a pee while there so I think you may need to pee in a state to count it. (In which case would a poo count double?)

I will be sleeping in Iowa next week, but my Wisconsin visit will be as shameless as my Arkansas one (note to self - drink three cups of tea before setting out just to make sure).

I think you've opened up a real can of worms with this thread. My view is Mrs. Tonrob is being a bit extreme with the 'stay a night' rule whereas on the other hand your own definition of taking a piss or shitting in a state to stake a claim is at the other end of the spectrum.

As a minimum to qualify I think you need the following:

a. At least 1 hour on the ground on state territory
b. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and/or beers at a local establishment, and most importantly,
c. A T-Shirt.

Macca67 Nov 5th 2010 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8962680)
Regarding castles - funny you should ask! Here's our local castle:

I bet you didn't think I'd have one to post, did you?. ;)

When you need to be spooked, location is everything! We have the only Haunted 10th Century Norman Castle built by hand by Sir Harry Andrews in the Tri-state area!

I"m guessing it's like something out of a Scooby Doo cartoon?

PMSL:lol:

Kaffy Mintcake Nov 6th 2010 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 8963585)
When you need to be spooked, location is everything! We have the only Haunted 10th Century Norman Castle built by hand by Sir Harry Andrews in the Tri-state area!

I"m guessing it's like something out of a Scooby Doo cartoon?

PMSL:lol:

Check out the pictures on the link - it actually looks better than I had expected! (To be fair, I've heard of it, but had VERY low expectations.) I haven't been but will have to check it out now. ;)

S Folinsky Nov 6th 2010 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8962539)
I lived in Bloomington and then Napervile, worked had his family the ex's in Peoria and Champagne....have a buddy in Pontiac, oh and used to go to Decatur quite a bit...........makes Modesto look like Paradise :lol:

Trivia question of the day: in what state is the Cincinnati airport located?

Giantaxe Nov 6th 2010 4:53 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 8964763)
Trivia question of the day: in what state is the Cincinnati airport located?

Kentucky... but as I didn't leave the airport, I don't count this as having visited that state :)

S Folinsky Nov 6th 2010 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 8964894)
Kentucky... but as I didn't leave the airport, I don't count this as having visited that state :)

I've been through Cleveland and Cincinnati airports -- and I don't count them. I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY, which is on the KY/TN border.