Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How many states have you visited?

How many states have you visited?

Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:24 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many states have you visited?

For the travelers amongst us...

I'll begin by saying that I never intended to try to travel to all of them. My first half a dozen trips to the US (in the 80s and 90s) were all to Florida. Then I visited California and Nevada on my (first) honeymoon, then New York City shortly after we split up. It was after meeting the new Mrs tonrob-to-be that we decided to quit our jobs and go traveling for a year, 85 days of which was spend driving around the US.

Shortly after returning to the UK I joined a company with offices in New England, which led to trips across the pond that helped me scoop in all the surrounding states before finally moving here to live in 2005.

I have to say that I have never purposely gone out of my way to try to visit new states just to say I've been - in fact the last 'new' state I visited was Oregon in 2008. But yesterday, thanks to a couple of people dropping out at the last minute, a work colleague and fellow beer monster asked me to accompany him on a lightning trip to Winnipeg and Dubuque leaving Sunday.

Now Winnipeg I've been to before and it's a dump (although I have found a British pub near the hotel that also looks to be the only Beeradvocate listed pub in downtown Winnipeg - it serves beer from the local Half Pints Brewing Company and also has vindaloo on the menu). But Dubuque is where things get interesting. My ears picked up when I heard him mention it's in Iowa. That's a new state for me. But can you even begin to imagine my excitement when a glance at Mapquest shows that it's half a bloody mile from Wisconsin!!!

So by this time next week I'll be another 2 states down and just 8 to go:

North Dakota
South Dakota
Minnesota
Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Alaska

Yay me.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many states have you visited?

Pretty much none compared to some, lots compared to a lot of Americans I know!

Actually spent time in OH, PA, NY, NC, SC, IL, WI and IN. Driven through WV and VA.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:47 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Vermont
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Louisiana
Texas
New Mexico
Arizona
Colorado
Utah
Nevada
California
(and DC)

next up was going to be Hawaii - my sister in law was all set to get married there next March but since she split up with her fiancee last month that's not going to happen and I don't know where my next new state trip is going to come from.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what characterises a 'visit'. The missus and I have a quasi competition on this where she argues she can claim a state if she has made a flight connection through the state. I say no way - shouldn't count.

Still not been to:

Alaska
Hawaii
Vermont
Maine
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Montana
Wyoming
Idaho
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I'll try and get them all.

Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
California
Nevada

Those are the ones I have visited.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

I'll begin by saying that I never intended to try to travel to all of them. My first half a dozen trips to the US (in the 80s and 90s) were all to Florida. Then I visited California and Nevada on my (first) honeymoon, then New York City shortly after we split up. It was after meeting the new Mrs tonrob-to-be that we decided to quit our jobs and go traveling for a year, 85 days of which was spend driving around the US.

Shortly after returning to the UK I joined a company with offices in New England, which led to trips across the pond that helped me scoop in all the surrounding states before finally moving here to live in 2005.

I have to say that I have never purposely gone out of my way to try to visit new states just to say I've been - in fact the last 'new' state I visited was Oregon in 2008. But yesterday, thanks to a couple of people dropping out at the last minute, a work colleague and fellow beer monster asked me to accompany him on a lightning trip to Winnipeg and Dubuque leaving Sunday.

Now Winnipeg I've been to before and it's a dump (although I have found a British pub near the hotel that also looks to be the only Beeradvocate listed pub in downtown Winnipeg - it serves beer from the local Half Pints Brewing Company and also has vindaloo on the menu). But Dubuque is where things get interesting. My ears picked up when I heard him mention it's in Iowa. That's a new state for me. But can you even begin to imagine my excitement when a glance at Mapquest shows that it's half a bloody mile from Wisconsin!!!

So by this time next week I'll be another 2 states down and just 8 to go:

North Dakota
South Dakota
Minnesota
Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Alaska

Yay me.
3 States - Drunk, Sober and wasted :-)
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

District of Columbia (not a state but what the heck)
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Vermont
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Virginia
Delaware
New Jersey
Nevada
Mississippi
Florida
California
Maine
Tennessee
Louisiana
Alaska

Hey, more than I thought at first.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Depends on what characterises a 'visit'. The missus and I have a quasi competition on this where she argues she can claim a state if she has made a flight connection through the state. I say no way - shouldn't count.
I agree - if you didn't set foot outside the airport it doesn't count.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

The list of ones I've been to is shorter, I think.

Alabama
Florida
Mississippi
Louisiana
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Kentucky
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Delaware
D. C.
Indiana
Michigan
New York
New Jersey
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Ready for a laugh???

Illinois (cause I live there)
Wisconsin (cause I live 10 miles from the border)

That's it

I have also been to Alberta, Canada and have had airport stops in New Jersey (Newark); Ontario (Toronto) and Manitoba (Winnipeg) but those don't count, though I did leave the airport terminal building in Newark to catch the shuttle to a different terminal, same in Toronto.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:39 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Does 1967 to 1970 count?

New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and that bit where Washington D.C. is.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

My list is also short:

Louisiana
Texas
Alabama
Mississippi
Florida
New Jersey
New York
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

One of my sisters has an ambition to drive through all the US states. I'm not quite sure what she's going to do about Hawaii

Anyway, relatively few for me so far:
Minnesota
Illinois
Wisconsin (does stopping at a rest area count?)
New York

After Christmas I'll be adding Nevada to the list.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 1:57 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Texas
Louisianna
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida
Massachusetts
New York
Nevada
California
Arizona

Hubby can also claim Wisconsin, Washington and Pennsylvania. And we have been to the White House but apparently it's not in a state so can I get a half point ?

P.S. This thread should have been how many states can you spell
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

I'll begin by saying that I never intended to try to travel to all of them. My first half a dozen trips to the US (in the 80s and 90s) were all to Florida.
I just visualized a map of the US and came up with the following:

Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Indiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Texas
Arizona
California
Nevada
Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Hawaii

I did not count the District of Columbia nor states where only contact was transit via an airport [Illinois, Ohio, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, Utah,& Georgia]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.