Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Long Will America Lead the World?

How Long Will America Lead the World?

Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

whitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to allwhitesnake is a name known to all
Default How Long Will America Lead the World?

Interesting editorial by Fareed Zakaria of Newsweek:

June 12, 2006 issue - Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, held in London on June 22, 1897, was one of the grandest fetes the world has ever seen: 46,000 troops and 11 colonial prime ministers arrived from the four corners of the earth to pay homage to their sovereign. The event was as much a celebration of Victoria's 60 years on the throne as it was of Britain's superpower status. In 1897, Queen Victoria ruled over a quarter of the world's population and a fifth of its territory, all connected by the latest marvel of British technology, the telegraph, and patrolled by the Royal Navy, which was larger than the next two navies put together. "The world took note," says the historian Karl Meyer. The New York Times gushed: "We are a part ... of the Greater Britain which seems so plainly destined to dominate this planet'."………………

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13123358/site/newsweek/
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

mayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nice
Default Re: How Long Will America Lead the World?

America has a choice to make...I think some of the bigwhigs are already thinking ahead like the strategic alliance being formed with India. I work as a programmer and half our office are Indians and Pakastanis and for the most part they work hard and are very intelligent. They would rather work here than stay in theur home country. A lot of them are becomming "Americanized" and actually speak their mind now. As long as American businesses continue to take advantage (and not in a bad way) of skilled immigrants than America may not be THE world leader but A world leader. There shouldn't be ONE leader anyways...my bet is with India...China will implode once the population gets sick of the draconian controls the party officials impose. Concerning the link....I agree with this if America makes the right decision..

The genius of America's success is that the United States is a rich country with many of the attributes of a scrappy, developing society. It is open, flexible and adventurous, often unmindful of history and tradition. Its people work hard, putting in longer hours than those in other rich countries. Much of this has do to with the history and culture of the society. A huge amount of it has to do with immigration, which keeps America constantly renewed by streams of hardworking people, desperate to succeed. Science laboratories in America are more than half filled with foreign students and immigrants. Without them, America's leadership position in the sciences would collapse. That is why America, alone among industrial nations, has been able to do the nearly impossible: renew its power and stay at the top of the game for a century now. We can expand our science programs—and we should—but we will never be able to compete with India and China in the production of engineers. No matter what we do, they will have more, and cheaper, labor. What we can do is take the best features of the America system—openness, innovation, immigration and flexibility—and enhance them, so that they can respond to new challenges by creating new industries, new technologies and new jobs, as we have in the past.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayflower_compact
America has a choice to make...I think some of the bigwhigs are already thinking ahead like the strategic alliance being formed with India. I work as a programmer and half our office are Indians and Pakastanis and for the most part they work hard and are very intelligent. They would rather work here than stay in theur home country. A lot of them are becomming "Americanized" and actually speak their mind now. As long as American businesses continue to take advantage (and not in a bad way) of skilled immigrants than America may not be THE world leader but A world leader. There shouldn't be ONE leader anyways...my bet is with India...China will implode once the population gets sick of the draconian controls the party officials impose. Concerning the link....I agree with this if America makes the right decision..

The genius of America's success is that the United States is a rich country with many of the attributes of a scrappy, developing society. It is open, flexible and adventurous, often unmindful of history and tradition. Its people work hard, putting in longer hours than those in other rich countries. Much of this has do to with the history and culture of the society. A huge amount of it has to do with immigration, which keeps America constantly renewed by streams of hardworking people, desperate to succeed. Science laboratories in America are more than half filled with foreign students and immigrants. Without them, America's leadership position in the sciences would collapse. That is why America, alone among industrial nations, has been able to do the nearly impossible: renew its power and stay at the top of the game for a century now. We can expand our science programs—and we should—but we will never be able to compete with India and China in the production of engineers. No matter what we do, they will have more, and cheaper, labor. What we can do is take the best features of the America system—openness, innovation, immigration and flexibility—and enhance them, so that they can respond to new challenges by creating new industries, new technologies and new jobs, as we have in the past.

I'm sorry - I just have to take issue with the bit about people working harder and putting in longer hours - complete rubbish!! The work ethic in my experience is nowhere near that of the UK, yes they work longer hours but do less work in those hours.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

mayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nicemayflower_compact is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big D
I'm sorry - I just have to take issue with the bit about people working harder and putting in longer hours - complete rubbish!! The work ethic in my experience is nowhere near that of the UK, yes they work longer hours but do less work in those hours.

I think it depends on the industry. Plus there are more people here so the net result is greater I would guess.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the industry. Plus there are more people here so the net result is greater I would guess.
more people compared to where?
the EU? nope
China? nope
India? nope.

all these blocks are gonna pass the USA pretty swiftly
I think the EU has passed the USA already, it's not about money either. If you class riches as community, social programs, quality of life, time with family and vacations then I think the EU is pissing the USA.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:27 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
more people compared to where?
the EU? nope
China? nope
India? nope.

I think ... the EU is pissing the USA.
As is France's unemployment rate ...
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
As is France's unemployment rate ...
I was on about the EU.

mentioning France alone is like discussing the USA and just picking out statistics for Arkansas.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:13 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I was on about the EU.

mentioning France alone is like discussing the USA and just picking out statistics for Arkansas.
The unemployment rate for the EU is around 7.6% and around 8% in the eurozone sub-group, somewhat higher than the U.S. http://ec.europa.eu/employment_socia...ov/213_en.html

France is a founding member of the EU, hardly an Arkansas of the EU.

EU-Observer has recently published that “US universities tower over 'dilapidated' EU schools”

Borrowing and morphing a line from the Matrix movie, on this issue you’re living in a dream world Manc. The EU is sinking in its own morass of rules, over-regulation and restrictions on private employers. France typifies the EU ideal, and its economy and job creation capability is heading south.

It's all aboard, the EU Express to high youth unemployment, low productivity, stiffling rules and regulations on small employers ...

Last edited by User Name; Jun 6th 2006 at 8:32 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:22 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

The unemployment rate for the EU is around 7.6%, somewhat higher than the U.S. http://ec.europa.eu/employment_socia...ov/213_en.html France is a founding member of the EU.
Something I've always wondered about the unemployment rate is, do they count stay at home mums? Housewives? People that don't need to work? How are the figures generated?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
Something I've always wondered about the unemployment rate is, do they count stay at home mums? Housewives? People that don't need to work? How are the figures generated?
I think in the UK it is people eligible to receive Unemployment Benefit.

I am sure that each country has its own variations so a direct comparison is meaningless.

A comaprison of the changes in the percentage 'might' have some validity, but there are many many issues that you would need to factor to make a true comparison.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think in the UK it is people eligible to receive Unemployment Benefit.

I am sure that each country has its own variations so a direct comparison is meaningless.

A comaprison of the changes in the percentage 'might' have some validity, but there are many many issues that you would need to factor to make a true comparison.
Cheers, that's what I thought. The figures are a bit crap, I mean at a few points in my life I was eligible for unemployment benefit, but I never took it & never had a problem getting work, so sometimes the figures mean bugger all!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

The unemployment rate for the EU is around 7.6% and around 8% in the eurozone sub-group, somewhat higher than the U.S. http://ec.europa.eu/employment_socia...ov/213_en.html

France is a founding member of the EU, hardly an Arkansas of the EU.

EU-Observer has recently published that “US universities tower over 'dilapidated' EU schools”

Borrowing and morphing a line from the Matrix movie, on this issue you’re living in a dream world Manc. The EU is sinking in its own morass of rules, over-regulation and restrictions on private employers. France typifies the EU ideal, and its economy and job creation capability is heading south.

It's all aboard, the EU Express to high youth unemployment, low productivity, stiffling rules and regulations on small employers ...
Copyright the Daily Mail
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

........The genius of America's success is that the United States is a rich country with many of the attributes of a scrappy, developing society. It is open, flexible and adventurous, often unmindful of history and tradition. Its people work hard, putting in longer hours than those in other rich countries. .........]

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh - but are they happy??!!!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:44 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh - but are they happy??!!!!!!!
Didn't they do a survey on this a while back. Basically it concluded that Italians were the second unhappiest, just beaten to it by the Russians. Not sure what they've got to be so unhappy about. The Russians on the other hand.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

By 1897 with the benefit of hindsight the British Empire had already peaked and was on the decline.

Reasonable to suppose that the situation today in the US will be looked upon in similar fashion.

WW1 was the killer for the British Empire, Iraq despite all the fuss in a minor colonial campaign, the 'War on Terror' however could well be seen as comparable except its length may be more akin to the Hundred Year Wars. Death by a thousand cuts.

Iraq does have a few comparisions with the Boer War.

Funny how history repeats itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.