British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How long to wait for SSN? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-long-wait-ssn-841698/)

amylrea Aug 25th 2014 9:17 am

How long to wait for SSN?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the helpful information. I am moving with my husband to Boston next year and have found this forum very useful.

One thing that I am very concerned about is the length of time it takes to get the SSN once I enter the US. Is there an average timescale?

My husband is a US citizen and will be transferring with his work to Boston. However, as the main earner, I will not be walking into a job and therefore want to be able to start applying for jobs etc ASAP. I am concerned at how long I might have to wait for the SSN.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

civilservant Aug 25th 2014 12:01 pm

Re: How long to wait for SSN?

Presumably you will have an immigrant visa?

You can actually work without an SSN, most large employers know this and input 000-00-0000 into their system to get around it until you have one.

In terms of how long it will take, you need to wait at least 10 days before going to the SSA for you to even appear on the relevant system - after that, they can assign you one overnight.

To be honest, the speed of most US employers means you'll have your SSN well before any drug/background checks are completed!

Pulaski Aug 25th 2014 12:45 pm

My situation is the same, with switched genders, to the OP. I visited the US in the August for interviews, got my CR1 in September, and arrived in NY on November 6th, with my wife who had also been living in the UK. I started my job on November 12th IIRC, and it was later in the week that I got my SSN. My employer knew perfectly well that I did not need an SSN to start work, or even to get paid. :)

amylrea Aug 25th 2014 2:42 pm

Thank you for the responses. Yes I have an immigrant visa. Feeling less worried now about getting the SSN.

GeoffM Aug 25th 2014 3:07 pm

If you ticked the box on the appropriate form (but I forget which) AND all systems worked perfectly then you can go to the SSA office after a day or two and ask if you're in the system. Anecdotal evidence indicates that they no longer give it to you but tell you to wait for the card.

What you do NOT want to do is initiate a manual verification as that will cause delays of many weeks. The 10-day figure refers to the time by which they should have issued you a number - you do NOT need to wait 10 days before going to the office - if they haven't by then, you can start to kick things along.

Bob Aug 25th 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11380995)
You can actually work without an SSN, most large employers know this and input 000-00-0000 into their system to get around it until you have one.

It should be 000-00-0004.

Hotscot Aug 25th 2014 10:44 pm

"However, as the main earner, I will not be walking into a job"

??

Relobotomy Aug 26th 2014 12:01 pm

I arrived Sunday, printed I-94 Tuesday, went to SS office Friday (as was busy at work, could have gone Tuesday), went back Monday and was verbally issued the number, card arrived in post Friday so whole thing 7 days. This was all earlier this month.

I was told that from 1st August they can no longer print your record and issue your number 24 hours after your visit, but they can issue it verbally. Something about fraud prevention that I didn't understand.

civilservant Aug 26th 2014 12:08 pm

they can no longer print your record and issue your number 24 hours after your visit, but they can issue it verbally
So they can give it to your verbally (where others could overhear) but not on a piece of paper? Oh dear.

Pulaski Aug 26th 2014 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11382154)
So they can give it to your verbally (where others could overhear) but not on a piece of paper? Oh dear.

Another one for the WTF thread, I think. :blink:

Relobotomy Aug 26th 2014 12:32 pm

it was funny actually, she said she could write it on a scrap of paper (which she did), she just couldn't print the record from the system. My guess is that the printout now has other info on it.

For security purposes she only wrote my first name next to the number, so I had to remember my surname.