Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long to pass test and buy vehicle in PHX?

How long to pass test and buy vehicle in PHX?

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long to pass test and buy vehicle in PHX?

I'm about to book a hire car for our September arrival in Phoenix. Our plan is take the driving test there asap, and buy a 2nd hand vehicle also asap.

What I don't know is how long that may take from start to finish, and also how long I can drive on my UK license?

Maybe two weeks is wishful thinking? Could it be more like a month? I don't want to think about the hire car cost
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to pass test and buy vehicle in PHX?

Originally Posted by guitarmaan View Post
I'm about to book a hire car for our September arrival in Phoenix. Our plan is take the driving test there asap, and buy a 2nd hand vehicle also asap.

What I don't know is how long that may take from start to finish, and also how long I can drive on my UK license?

Maybe two weeks is wishful thinking? Could it be more like a month? I don't want to think about the hire car cost
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...ory=1&Keyword=

Scroll down to #39, it says you have to obtain a license "immediately"....not particularly helpful!!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs HTS waited 3 months before getting her license. No big deal.

I was shocked at how high the value of second hand cars is compared to back home. That said, the driving here in Phoenix is easy on the car - no bends & hills to put strain on a car, and a very dry heat so rust is less if an issue.

I stayed away from second hand cars until knowing the market & procedure better. You can buy second hand in a matter of an hour or two, most of that time is taken by transferring title and getting new plates done.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67 View Post
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...ory=1&Keyword=

Scroll down to #39, it says you have to obtain a license "immediately"....not particularly helpful!!
Thanks for the direct link. On reading it I don't think that rule applies to me though, as a new arrival. See below....
39) What is needed for a person from another country to drive in Arizona?

You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An International Driving License or Permit is not required, but is recommended since it can be printed in English, and can be used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an International Driving License or Permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.

However, Arizona law requires that you obtain an Arizona driver license (and vehicle registration) immediately if any one of the following applies. If you:

Work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work) -or-
Are registered to vote in Arizona -or-
Place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident -or-
Have a business that has an office in Arizona, and that bases and operates vehicles in this state -or-
Obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident -or-
Have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona -or-
Remain in Arizona for a total of 7 months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

I was shocked at how high the value of second hand cars is compared to back home. That said, the driving here in Phoenix is easy on the car - no bends & hills to put strain on a car, and a very dry heat so rust is less if an issue.

I stayed away from second hand cars until knowing the market & procedure better. You can buy second hand in a matter of an hour or two, most of that time is taken by transferring title and getting new plates done.
3 months is quite a while then. That would be ample for me.
I assume you bought a vehicle though, because she couldn't register one on a foreign license. Or am I wrong on that?
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762011

This thread might be an interesting read for the OP
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67 View Post
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762011

This thread might be an interesting read for the OP
Brilliant, thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by guitarmaan View Post
Thanks for the direct link. On reading it I don't think that rule applies to me though, as a new arrival. See below....

3 months is quite a while then. That would be ample for me.
I assume you bought a vehicle though, because she couldn't register one on a foreign license. Or am I wrong on that?
We actually leased a vehicle from VW through AIG and it was all organised before we left the UK. For us, it has worked well as the lease payments are reported as a loan and we have the comfort of knowing we have a brand new vehicle and all servicing is paid for by VW.

To be honest, I was too 'chicken' to drive much when I first arrived, freaked me out, which is why I waited three months to get my licence. As a new arrival, you really do only have a couple of weeks to do your written and driving test. You can do both on the same day. Just remember to read the ADOT driving manual throughly - even those sections pertaining to teenagers as you may be asked those questions.

Good luck

Mrs H the S
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post

Not sure about driving in Phoenix being easy on a car. I went through at least three sets of tires in 8 years because the hot roads eat the tread.

Also, when you go to the DMV, make sure you have your immigration documents with you. They will only give you a license that lasts as long as your immigration status is good for.