British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How long to leave UK when green card received (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-long-leave-uk-when-green-card-received-359334/)

jamarick Mar 5th 2006 5:40 pm

How long to leave UK when green card received

We are in the process of completing forms for green card as I-130 has been approved. Once we receive the green card and OK from Embassy in London to emigrate to USA does anyone know how long we have in England before our time runs out, as we need to sell our property and tie up any loose ends. If we go over the time they give us then we we would have to start our partitioning all over again which we don't want to do.

Bob Mar 5th 2006 5:51 pm

Re: How long to leave UK when green card received

Best bet would be to ask in the immigration forums...and say how you got the greencard, through marriage to USC, lottery etc...

Lynne Mar 5th 2006 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jamarick
We are in the process of completing forms for green card as I-130 has been approved. Once we receive the green card and OK from Embassy in London to emigrate to USA does anyone know how long we have in England before our time runs out, as we need to sell our property and tie up any loose ends. If we go over the time they give us then we we would have to start our partitioning all over again which we don't want to do.

It is possible that things have changed since we came to the US. We had our interview at the Embassy on 12th of January, 1995 and had five months from that date to enter the USA. It is not really a lot of time to get things organized and I am not sure what happens if you are still there beyond that time. As I say, things could have changed. They did in fact tell us the time frame when we went for the interview.

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 5th 2006 6:01 pm

We had 6 months to fly to the US and "activate" our GC's once we recieved approval from the embassy. If you have to wait an longer than that then let them know ASAP.

jamarick Mar 5th 2006 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Best bet would be to ask in the immigration forums...and say how you got the greencard, through marriage to USC, lottery etc...

Thanks Bob

jamarick Mar 5th 2006 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne
It is possible that things have changed since we came to the US. We had our interview at the Embassy on 12th of January, 1995 and had five months from that date to enter the USA. It is not really a lot of time to get things organized and I am not sure what happens if you are still there beyond that time. As I say, things could have changed. They did in fact tell us the time frame when we went for the interview.

Thanks Lynne

jamarick Mar 5th 2006 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We had 6 months to fly to the US and "activate" our GC's once we recieved approval from the embassy. If you have to wait an longer than that then let them know ASAP.

Thanks

fatbrit Mar 5th 2006 6:30 pm

Assuming you've actually got an immigrant visa (you don't say)...

You won't actually get your permanent residence status ("green card") until you land and go through secondary inspection. They'll plonk a stamp in your passport and from that moment on, you're there. Takes a week or two for the actual card to arrive, though, but you don't need the card if you wish to travel immediately since the stamp in your passport is sufficient.

The time you will have to enter from issue of the visa is 6 months.

There is nothing to stop you landing, getting your status, and catching the next flight out if this is necessary to sort out your affairs back home.

Practically, it might be wise to spend a couple of weeks here sorting out the initial stuff, though. You can have a free trip back home for up to 6 months; after that complications start.

Also, there may be tax complications if you fail to sell your house back home before taking permanent residence status.

Patrick Hasler Mar 5th 2006 7:57 pm

I agree .. It could be a good idea to come over and activate the GC thingy then return and sort thngs out.

jamarick Mar 5th 2006 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Assuming you've actually got an immigrant visa (you don't say)...

You won't actually get your permanent residence status ("green card") until you land and go through secondary inspection. They'll plonk a stamp in your passport and from that moment on, you're there. Takes a week or two for the actual card to arrive, though, but you don't need the card if you wish to travel immediately since the stamp in your passport is sufficient.

The time you will have to enter from issue of the visa is 6 months.

There is nothing to stop you landing, getting your status, and catching the next flight out if this is necessary to sort out your affairs back home.

Practically, it might be wise to spend a couple of weeks here sorting out the initial stuff, though. You can have a free trip back home for up to 6 months; after that complications start.

Also, there may be tax complications if you fail to sell your house back home before taking permanent residence status.

thanks Fatbrit

englishnurse Mar 5th 2006 9:52 pm

thanks Fatbrit

whats the secondary inspection thing all about? does that mean that they can send you home when you land? even if you have your stamp in your passport? why would that happen?

Bob Mar 5th 2006 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by englishnurse
whats the secondary inspection thing all about? does that mean that they can send you home when you land? even if you have your stamp in your passport? why would that happen?

pretty much everyone gets it the first time around, to take your details, make sure the addresses to send things are correct and all that fun stuff...