How long is the I-130 valid ?

How long is the I-130 valid ?

Old Apr 16th 2002, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

powerpoint is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long is the I-130 valid ?

Hi all,

Here is my situation:
I am from Germanyand have german citizenship. My wife had not yet US citizenship when we married. September 2000 I enter the US as a tourist and we got married in America. After the marriage we moved to germany. Somes months later my wife was called by INS for her citizenship. So she got her US citizenship since. On December 2001 my wife files the petition I-130 for me because we want go back to US so that my wife can finish her study overthere.

I was interviewed two weeks ago and the consular officer said he will send me the visa soon.

After reading the post in this forum I have some questions:

1. How long is the Petition I-130 valid ?

2. Do I get troubles because of the marriage without "permission" ?

3. The visa they issue to me will be valid for 6 months. First: if I enter the US right after getting the visa I will get a conditional permanent resindent status and I lose my job here (It is not easy now to find a job overthere). Second if I wait for nearly six months and then enter the US I will get a permanent resident status (PRS) and during this time I can earn some money for a new beginning in US. So if the INS people find out that I intentionally go to the US so late to get the PRS, do the make any troube ?

4. Which airport (INS-office) should I go through to avoid unnecessary problems ?

Thanks a lot for your advices.

pp
Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:10 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: How long is the I-130 valid ?

powerpoint wrote:
    >
    > 1. How long is the Petition I-130 valid ?

6 months. (unless you are in Detroit and they are misinterpreting another paragraph)
    >
    > 2. Do I get troubles because of the marriage without "permission" ?

You don't need "permission" to marry. A tourist visa can be used for this purpose.
The problems might occur if you got married and stayed in the US right after. (but
usually not a big problem either)

>
    > 3. The visa they issue to me will be valid for 6 months. First: if I enter the US
    > right after getting the visa I will get a conditional permanent resindent status
    > and I lose my job here (It is not easy now to find a job overthere). Second if I
    > wait for nearly six months and then enter the US I will get a permanent resident
    > status (PRS)

My understanding is that entering the US after being married 2 years will permit INS
to give you permanent status without conditions at the POE

>
    > 4. Which airport (INS-office) should I go through to avoid unnecessary problems ?

Any airport, but Detroit (judging by the recent thread) I am hoping the District
Director issues a statement on that K-1 problem since the issuance of a visa before
the petition expires should be sufficient.