Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for I-130 approval for parents?

How long does it take for I-130 approval for parents?

Old Jul 29th 2002, 5:50 pm
jsh
Just Joined

jsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does it take for I-130 approval for parents?

I am a US citizen and I have filed I-130 petition to get may parents over here from China. I just got letters from INS to inform me that they have received my petitions (and of course the checks!) and I was totally shocked to see that they have stated in the letters: usully it takes 815 to 825 days to process such cases. ??!! Is this true? And this is only for petition, so that my parents can get approval to start visa application which who knows how long (additional time) it will take! My parents are now 67, I am just completely frustrated. Has anyone been through this or currently being grilled by this? Any experience, suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated! js
Old Jul 30th 2002, 6:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: How long does it take for I-130 approval for parents?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:20:21 -0700, jsh wrote:

> I am a US citizen and I have filed I-130 petition to get may parents over here from
    > China. I just got letters from INS to inform me that they have received my
    > petitions (and of course the checks!) and I was totally shocked to see that they
    > have stated in the letters: usully it takes 815 to 825 days to process such cases.
    > ??!! Is this true? And this is only for petition, so that my parents can get
    > approval to start visa application which who knows how long (additional time) it
    > will take! My parents are now 67, I am just completely frustrated. Has anyone been
    > through this or currently being grilled by this? Any experience, suggestions and
    > advice will be greatly appreciated! js

The numbers on that form are essentially random, and you can ignore them. *Certain*
I-130s will indeed take that long because for many people, the processing time won't
matter if the priority date is even further away.

But immediate relatives of US citizens are treated differently. The INS computer
system just doesn't know about the various flavors of I-130.

Ingo

Old Jul 30th 2002, 6:20 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

jsh wrote:

> I am a US citizen and I have filed I-130 petition to get may parents over here from
    > China. I just got letters from INS to inform me that they have received my
    > petitions (and of course the checks!) and I was totally shocked to see that they
    > have stated in the letters: usully it takes 815 to 825 days to process such cases.
    > ??!! Is this true? And this is only for petition, so that my parents can get
    > approval to start visa application which who knows how long (additional time) it
    > will take! My parents are now 67, I am just completely frustrated. Has anyone been
    > through this or currently being grilled by this?

You can check the usual processing time for I-130s for your INS Service Center
through http://www.shusterman.com/toc-sc.html. Look for "IR" or "Immediate Relative."
It appears that CSC and TSC are taking well over a year, NSC is taking about 6
months, and VSC is very quick, less than 2 months.

The consular interview will be approximately six months after the approval of
the I-130.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 6:20 pm
Corina

Hi,

At what center did you file the I130s? Is it TSC? I have filled for my parents in
February this year, and the I130 still hasn't been approved. So do expect a long
wait!If you filled at TSC I know for a fact they are processing the applications from
May 2001 (I called them). I was told i would have to wait at least 9 more months for
the I130 approval only. I dont't know how much longer after that till they get the
visa. Corina

Old Aug 1st 2002, 11:20 am
Queen

My sibling , US citizen filed for my parents last year July/August, and it was
approved by December. Not sure what center though.

Sylvia Ottemoeller <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > jsh wrote:
    >
    > > I am a US citizen and I have filed I-130 petition to get may parents over here
    > > from China. I just got letters from INS to inform me that they have received my
    > > petitions (and of course the checks!) and I was totally shocked to see that they
    > > have stated in the letters: usully it takes 815 to 825 days to process such
    > > cases. ??!! Is this true? And this is only for petition, so that my parents can
    > > get approval to start visa application which who knows how long (additional time)
    > > it will take! My parents are now 67, I am just completely frustrated. Has anyone
    > > been through this or currently being grilled by this?
    >
    >
    > You can check the usual processing time for I-130s for your INS Service Center
    > through http://www.shusterman.com/toc-sc.html. Look for "IR" or "Immediate
    > Relative." It appears that CSC and TSC are taking well over a year, NSC is taking
    > about 6 months, and VSC is very quick, less than 2 months.
    >
    > The consular interview will be approximately six months after the approval of
    > the I-130.