Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to become a US citizen after application?

Wikiposts

How long does it take to become a US citizen after application?

Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:42 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Question How long does it take to become a US citizen after application?

As the question says, for all you expats turned USC, can you remember how long it took from application until you got in the office and did the deed?

I'll be eligible this Sept and intend to apply immediately.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:51 am
Franklin

Default Re: How long does it take to become a US citizen after application?

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
As the question says, for all you expats turned USC, can you remember how long it took from application until you got in the office and did the deed?

Thanks.
I seem to recall applying for it in August and having the USC oath ceremony in May of the following year. But it will probably vary from state to state given that in some states the local Federal court may not exercise their right to officiate the oath/citizenship ceremony; on information and belief it is possible in some states to swear the oath of allegiance in front of an INS (I suppose UCIS) official immediately following a successful completion of the oral/written citizenship test and interview.

Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

If you were to apply today, the unreliable reports from UCSIS suggests they are just managing to open the applications from 11 months ago at Philadelphia, see here. You could certainly budget another 3 to 12 months on top of that.

Supposedly, they are gonna be super efficient and now process everything within 6 months. Don't hold your breath, though!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
My best suggestion would be to head over the US Immigration and/or US Visas forums and have a look at turnaround times for the Service Center you'll be using.

I shall be applying for citizenship as soon as I receive my 10 yr GC which should be any day now...

I am closing this thread because it is a visa related question.