Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long did it take your pets to settle in?

How long did it take your pets to settle in?

Old May 30th 2016, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take your pets to settle in?

Originally Posted by Rete

My suggestion would be that if you are fortunate enough to have a home, either a rental or a purchase, with a yard, that you build an outdoor cat house for them. They are screened in but have the ability to climb and view the wild life without fear of predators. Please be sure that they have their rabies shots and that they are given their tick and flea meds.
I've seen these, catios, and there are some pretty cool ones We are renting at first and will buy next year - at which point we could definitely build one of these. This site has some cool ideas Catio Showcase
Old May 30th 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Please be sure that they have their rabies shots and that they are given their tick and flea meds.
Rabies shots a few weeks ago and flea meds will be given before we leave at their 'okay to fly' exam on Saturday
Old May 30th 2016, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and hope they settle well. My SIL moved her kitty loads of times (within the US) and she always adapted quickly. I'm sure they will soon be meowing in an American accent lol!
Old Jun 1st 2016, 3:43 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's what we do with our indoor cats.

We also acquired a couple of outdoor cats, that come into the garage at night (with food as the carrot) for safety, as "applied ecology", to reduce the fauna around the house (rodents, frogs, toads, etc.) and thereby reduce the appeal of our yard to snakes.
Our indoor cats have the run of the screened porch too (with a catflap to it from the main house). It's actually illegal to have an 'outdoor' cat here unless they are completely contained within your rear yard (so in theory we'd need a completely screened yard!) or are on a leash!!
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
It's actually illegal to have an 'outdoor' cat here unless they are completely contained within your rear yard (so in theory we'd need a completely screened yard!) or are on a leash!!
Never heard of this, is it legal to have outside children there?
How do you keep the mole and rodent population down?
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Never heard of this, is it legal to have outside children there?
How do you keep the mole and rodent population down?
I am assuming that this is in Australia where cats have decimated native species.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I am assuming that this is in Australia where cats have decimated native species.
Sheepdip is in the process of relocating from South Carolina to Texas. I am unclear which state he is referring to.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sheepdip is in the process of relocating from South Carolina to Texas. I am unclear which state he is referring to.
Oh I see, thanks. Yes that does sound strange for the US. I know indoor cats are more common there unlike the UK where outdoor is more common. I know here a lot of cat rescues won't home to indoors-only homes, and in America many shelters won't rehome to peeps who want to let them outside. But I always assumed that the preference for house cats there was because of predators, lime disease, rabies etc. In-laws have had both in and outdoor moggies. Never heard of a state where kitties are actually forbidden to roam outside.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Oh I see, thanks. Yes that does sound strange for the US. I know indoor cats are more common there unlike the UK where outdoor is more common. I know here a lot of cat rescues won't home to indoors-only homes, and in America many shelters won't rehome to peeps who want to let them outside. But I always assumed that the preference for house cats there was because of predators, lime disease, rabies etc. In-laws have had both in and outdoor moggies. Never heard of a state where kitties are actually forbidden to roam outside.
Whether Sheepdip is talking about SC or TX, I sincerely doubt that significant law enforcement resources are expended rounding up outdoor cats. Of course leaving Tiddles to roam presumably creates the risk of being seized by Animal Control, ..... as well as eaten by a hawk or coyote, or bitten by a snake or turtle.