Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long between leaving work and travelling?

How long between leaving work and travelling?

Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long between leaving work and travelling?

OH and I now have a date for our move. I am intending handing in my notice at work next week and am unsure whether to just give the minimum notice or a work a couple of weeks more (contract states 1 month, I could potentially work for another six weeks). How much time did you need to actually make your preparations, say goodbyes etc?

We're only taking airfreight initially, which we don't need to pack but do need to work out what we're taking, and need to clear out stuff as well. I'm guessing there's probably other things I need to do as well. Any tips on how big a gap you had and whether it was enough time?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long between leaving work and travelling?

It varies person to person.

I finished work on the friday, received my visa in my hand on the following tuesday and flew out 2 days later.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 6:58 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I gave notice and then ended up not leaving till later due to DH's orders.

I had seven weeks, it was a brilliant time spent with family and friends, time to take lots of photos, walk every day and lose weight. I was so glad it worked out like that, the move was much less stressful with no rushing around.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I had 2 weeks after leaving work before leaving UK - our house sold the final Friday and we flew out the following Monday. We definitely needed those 2 weeks for packing up etc. We stayed with the inlaws for our last weekend which was really nice for them . Hubby on the other hand had 1 day off before leaving and 1 day off on arrival but he had been travelling back and forth for the previous 6 months so he had our apartment set up ready for us to move into when we arrived - it couldn't have been more perfect. He even had champagne waiting in the fridge
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We finished work June 30 and were on the plane to Boston July 1. That was with an eight year old and a six year old at that time... we had already got rid of almost all of our furniture, sold our car and rented one (returned it at LHR) and I think sent off our 80 boxes of "stuff" via Pickfords maybe two weeks before departure. When we unpacked in our new home in Massachusetts we found the two bags of trash that the movers had packed up in error... and, eighteen years later, we still have some boxes we never unpacked.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

brit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to allbrit-n-yank is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robin1234
We finished work June 30 and were on the plane to Boston July 1. That was with an eight year old and a six year old at that time... we had already got rid of almost all of our furniture, sold our car and rented one (returned it at LHR) and I think sent off our 80 boxes of "stuff" via Pickfords maybe two weeks before departure. When we unpacked in our new home in Massachusetts we found the two bags of trash that the movers had packed up in error... and, eighteen years later, we still have some boxes we never unpacked.
Eighteen years! And I thought I was bad with having several unopened boxes three years down the line! lol
Incidentally, did anyone leave boxes of stuff back home with relatives? I know I did - and can't now for the life of me think why! If I didn't want to bring them with me, why would I have wanted to keep them in UK??!!!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I finished my perm job about three weeks before departure, during which time I did late-shift locum work. ie 4/5pm until 11pm or midnight.

This gave me my days to sort stuff out. I didn't work for the final week though.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit-n-yank
Eighteen years! And I thought I was bad with having several unopened boxes three years down the line! lol
Incidentally, did anyone leave boxes of stuff back home with relatives? I know I did - and can't now for the life of me think why! If I didn't want to bring them with me, why would I have wanted to keep them in UK??!!!
I'm curious - what was in the boxes that laid unopened for 17 years?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm curious - what was in the boxes that laid unopened for 17 years?
In our case, mostly children's books, toys, clothing etc. that was soon superceded or replaced when we got to the USA .. and only a few miles from their cousins who are a few years older.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as I have done my Masters exams I might go which will be sometime in May. However.......I might keep working for a little bit after just for extra money.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:19 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave it a week between finishing work and moving. Should have allowed longer, it was all a bit tight.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in the US, just leave EoD before you plan to fly.

In the UK, whatever your contract states, though depends on the job, if your pretty senior it's worth doing the usual 6 weeks notice and being flexible, best not burning bridges and all that. Other wise, sod 'em and whenever your all packed and ready to leave.

One thing worth doing, don't leave the going away party and good byes till the last minute, it's the biggest ball ache that way, get it out of the way a couple weeks before you plan to leave. Gives you time to catch up with those you really care about and those who might not have been able to attend at the time...also gives you time to do all those last minute things you've forgotten about and get the touristy stuff done with close family/friends for photo album, especially nice if you've got kids, the local park, school, pub and shops, whatever that'll remind you of home that you take for granted and don't give a second thoughts about now
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
OH and I now have a date for our move. I am intending handing in my notice at work next week and am unsure whether to just give the minimum notice or a work a couple of weeks more (contract states 1 month, I could potentially work for another six weeks). How much time did you need to actually make your preparations, say goodbyes etc?

We're only taking airfreight initially, which we don't need to pack but do need to work out what we're taking, and need to clear out stuff as well. I'm guessing there's probably other things I need to do as well. Any tips on how big a gap you had and whether it was enough time?
I'd give yourself a week or so after you quit to get all your stuff packed, sold, whatever and to say goodbye to people and fill your case with teabags, digestives and curly wurlys.

I think I'd be a bit frazzled if I quit work on Friday and flew out on Monday.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

My plan is to give me a little more than two weeks between the end of my contract and hopping on a plane. But then, I'm keeping my house in the UK for the time being and will have to sort out few things before I can leave.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies people. I'm going to give the six weeks notice, but take all the holiday time I'm due in that last week, so in reality I'll only be working for five. That will give me three and a half weeks sort stuff out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.