Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sure, I'll pay for your free, fraudulently-obtained health care, be my guest.

Is there an epidemic I missed when I was watching the news today? Or is BE the venue for this year's Freeloaders Convention and I didn't get the announcement email?
Is it catching?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Like I said, I'm failing to see how they track it, interesting really...does anyone know whether as part of the process of filing for entry to the US there is an element of 'exit from the UK' perhaps it is covered there?

Apologies then if my curiosity has rubbed some people up the wrong way but I am failing somewhat to see how the level of aggression in some of the responses is propertionate to the statement made?

The free loaders convention did make me chuckle though!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84
Like I said, I'm failing to see how they track it, interesting really...does anyone know whether as part of the process of filing for entry to the US there is an element of 'exit from the UK' perhaps it is covered there?

Apologies then if my curiosity has rubbed some people up the wrong way but I am failing somewhat to see how the level of aggression in some of the responses is propertionate to the statement made?

The free loaders convention did make me chuckle though!
You'll want to notify HM Inland Revenue for your tax refund. I once read that they notify the NHS...whether that's true or not I don't know.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You'll want to notify HM Inland Revenue for your tax refund. I once read that they notify the NHS...whether that's true or not I don't know.
That seems like a pretty reasonable suggestion, I suspect thats how it's supposed to tie together.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am failing somewhat to see how the level of aggression in some of the responses is propertionate to the statement made?
Did you read that link I posted?
Just a hot topic this week I guess... (PS you don't have to read to the end of that thread.. you'll know when you get to the quitting part. )
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Regards the banks?

I had a quick skim read but it was obvious it was going to get heated rather quickly...not in the mood for confrontation this evening...I get enough in my day job!

TBH my opinion is always don't borrow beyond your means and Id also say that to cut yourself off from your country of origin until your emigration is well established is utter stupidity...keep the UK mortgage and rent out the house and keep your UK bank accounts/credit/savings open, just in case! This would include outstanding loans that quite frankly you can pay from america...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Regards the banks?

I had a quick skim read but it was obvious it was going to get heated rather quickly...not in the mood for confrontation this evening...I get enough in my day job!

TBH my opinion is always don't borrow beyond your means and Id also say that to cut yourself off from your country of origin until your emigration is well established is utter stupidity...keep the UK mortgage and rent out the house and keep your UK bank accounts/credit/savings open, just in case! This would include outstanding loans that quite frankly you can pay from america...
I think you may have missed why I posted it.. it was about what you can get away with vs what you should do.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

I'll have another read as the topic itself sounded an interesting read, just a bit 'heavy' after the day at work I had yesterday, (you would not believe!).

But just to clear things up, my moral compass is pretty sound and my previous post RE the NHS was a simple observation made as part of my job in healthcare IT and frankly I feel I actually did quite well in not stooping to respond to some of the completely disproportionate attacks that came my way in some of the resultant posts!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have another read as the topic itself sounded an interesting read, just a bit 'heavy' after the day at work I had yesterday, (you would not believe!).

But just to clear things up, my moral compass is pretty sound and my previous post RE the NHS was a simple observation made as part of my job in healthcare IT and frankly I feel I actually did quite well in not stooping to respond to some of the completely disproportionate attacks that came my way in some of the resultant posts!
I think that some of the responses you got to your enquiry may have been from some of the members that had been reading the 'Banks' thread. That thread brought out the indignation from some of us that believe that walking away from your responsibilities, as far as debt goes, is not the right or moral way to go!

There are a lot of us on here that struggle with the health system here, the insurance payments, cover etc. To think that someone/anyone might be using the NHS (not saying you will) by talking about 'keeping options open' and maybe popping back home for medical/surgical needs just rubs some of us up the wrong way. If someone leaves the UK, they should be prepared to leave the NHS behind too, at least until they return to live there. Keeping a residential address active there (while residing in the US legally) just for the sole purpose of having access to free health care services in the UK, is not something that most of us would be happy to support.

I know you are just asking the questions to get clarity for your own situation, but it just came at a time when other posters may be looking for loopholes in the system.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I think that some of the responses you got to your enquiry may have been from some of the members that had been reading the 'Banks' thread. That thread brought out the indignation from some of us that believe that walking away from your responsibilities, as far as debt goes, is not the right or moral way to go!

There are a lot of us on here that struggle with the health system here, the insurance payments, cover etc. To think that someone/anyone might be using the NHS (not saying you will) by talking about 'keeping options open' and maybe popping back home for medical/surgical needs just rubs some of us up the wrong way. If someone leaves the UK, they should be prepared to leave the NHS behind too, at least until they return to live there. Keeping a residential address active there (while residing in the US legally) just for the sole purpose of having access to free health care services in the UK, is not something that most of us would be happy to support.

I know you are just asking the questions to get clarity for your own situation, but it just came at a time when other posters may be looking for loopholes in the system.
Again, my sincere apologies for rubbing people up the wrong way as it was not the intention...

I think emirgration, particularly in terms of it's complexity, along with everything else people all across the world are going through with regards to money, be it bank debt, or the rising cost of healthcare, in this time of economic struggle has peoples nerves on tenderhooks!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:10 pm
You'e got to have a dream

Siobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh wait, I thought we were talking about what you are allowed to do, not what you can get away with... I think the thread you're looking for is this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682433
Did you really have to do that!? I followed your link and got stuck there. it was like looking at something horrific, you know you shouldn't but you just can't help it! There's an hour or so of my life i'll never get back and it's still going on!! The worst thing is I can't help myself.... I must go back!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siobhan x
Did you really have to do that!? I followed your link and got stuck there. it was like looking at something horrific, you know you shouldn't but you just can't help it! There's an hour or so of my life i'll never get back and it's still going on!! The worst thing is I can't help myself.... I must go back!
Is it really that good?! LOL!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Siobhan x
Happy to be of service!

Now, use the search to find the 'Guinevere' thread; you can thank me later

oh I had to check the spelling anyway; here you go! http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214687
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to be of service!

Surely there's a rule about leading the newbies to that thread....

And you do it with such happiness....
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:26 pm
You'e got to have a dream

Siobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to allSiobhan x is a name known to all

Happy to be of service!

oh I had to check the spelling anyway; here you go! http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214687
Oh no! I'm not falling for that one again! the last link has left my lap top covered in tea and digestives and missing a number seven, not to mention needing a change of trousers due to thinking I was too young to need 'Tenner Lady'!

Is it as long as the other one, it's just that I go back to work next week and they frown on shoddy time keeping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.