British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-long-before-your-nhs-priviledges-become-exempt-682488/)

ryanthelion84 Aug 23rd 2010 10:32 pm

How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

Heres one for the recently emirgrated!

I have an interesting scenario in that dependant on my success with my intra-company job application and the speed of L1 visa processing and general emigration logistics it's entirely reaslistic that I could be in the US in the next couple of months starting my new adventure with my 2 and half year old AND MY HEAVILY PREGNANT WIFE. :eek:

We are due to welcome our 2nd child into the world on 20th jan 2011 and as mentioned we could all being successful with a but of luck thrown in, living in FL, USA by then!

My question then is really on a parrallel with another post about the cost of being pregnant in the US...it has been mentioned that getting an L2 for a newborn where the family already has an active L1/L2's will not be a problem but to return home for the birth of the child although entirely possible may prove troublesome depending on how long you've been gone in the form of your NHS priviledges being revoked....anyone know how long after you leave the UK that this occurs?

Thanks!!!

R Harris

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2010 10:38 pm

Re: How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

I assume that if you are in the US on a L1 visa....your company will offer you fairly decent healthcare coverage. In which case why not have the baby here?

ryanthelion84 Aug 23rd 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Jersey,

Speedy response...thanks!

I'm not in on an L1...yet! I am remaining positive my company will transfer me and the folks at visa processing rubber stamp it all! :fingerscrossed:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on my other thread on the board about the cost of having the baby in the US...

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2010 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8797885)
Hi Jersey,

Speedy response...thanks!

I'm not in on an L1...yet! I am remaining positive my company will transfer me and the folks at visa processing rubber stamp it all! :fingerscrossed:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on my other thread on the board about the cost of having the baby in the US...

I realise you're not in the US yet. Why would your wife return to the UK several weeks before the child was due when she could stay and have the baby here?

Sorry I can't help you...my daughter was 11 when we moved to the US. There are plenty on here who have had children here...so you should get plenty of responses. Good luck.

Zonie Aug 23rd 2010 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8797855)
Heres one for the recently emirgrated!

I have an interesting scenario in that dependant on my success with my intra-company job application and the speed of L1 visa processing and general emigration logistics it's entirely reaslistic that I could be in the US in the next couple of months starting my new adventure with my 2 and half year old AND MY HEAVILY PREGNANT WIFE. :eek:

We are due to welcome our 2nd child into the world on 20th jan 2011 and as mentioned we could all being successful with a but of luck thrown in, living in FL, USA by then!

My question then is really on a parrallel with another post about the cost of being pregnant in the US...it has been mentioned that getting an L2 for a newborn where the family already has an active L1/L2's will not be a problem but to return home for the birth of the child although entirely possible may prove troublesome depending on how long you've been gone in the form of your NHS priviledges being revoked....anyone know how long after you leave the UK that this occurs?

Thanks!!!

R Harris

This may be you:

People Entitled to Full NHS Hospital Treatment free of charge

Anyone working abroad for not more than 5 years as long as they have lived legally in the UK for ten continuous years at some point (including self employed people);

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074379

ryanthelion84 Aug 23rd 2010 10:55 pm

Hi Zonie...jackpot! Exactly the type of UK legislation I was looking for...

Although JerseyGirl is exactly right...provided the health cover is right and of course provided my wife and I's requirements can be met (child birth is not a medical procedure and she will be looking for a home birth or a birthing centre with birthing pool and all that kind of stuff) then there is no reason why we can't give birth in our new country of residence...heck we would even end up with our own little US Citizen! :rofl:

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8797925)

Although JerseyGirl is exactly right...provided the health cover is right and of course provided my wife and I's requirements can be met (child birth is not a medical procedure and she will be looking for a home birth or a birthing centre with birthing pool and all that kind of stuff) then there is no reason why we can't give birth in our new country of residence...heck we would even end up with our own little US Citizen! :rofl:

There's been a few threads about home births. The Search Function is located in the pink bar at the top of the page...go to Advanced Search and make sure you highlight the search to the US Forums.

Give me a shout if you have problems finding them.

ryanthelion84 Aug 23rd 2010 11:01 pm

You know I wasn't expecting this site to be a one stop shop but thus far it's bearing lots of fruit, some a little sour, but hey...rough with the smooth.

Nice friendly bunch too! ;)

Zonie Aug 23rd 2010 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8797931)
There's been a few threads about home births. The Search Function is located in the pink bar at the top of the page...go to Advanced Search and make sure you highlight the search to the US Forums.

Give me a shout if you have problems finding them.

Pink? Mine is blue, or are you wearing those rose tinted spectacles again?

N1cky Aug 23rd 2010 11:03 pm

I think you may be jumping the gun a bit here. The likelihood of you managing to move to the US within 2 months when you haven't even had an interview yet is very slim. Only my opinion but

Job phone interview next week (week 1)
Job live interview (week 2)
Job offer week after (week 3)
Immigration paperwork (week 5)
Embassy Interview (week 7)
Visas/Passports Returned (week 8)

Are you really going to be able to pack and leave the same week?

Also, don't forget lots of airlines won't take pregnant women 6 weeks before their due date, or babies under 6 weeks old.

Therefore if she went back to the UK to give birth she could be away for 12 weeks, not an ideal start to your new life in the US.

If you decide to have the baby in the US you will need to double check your health insurance covers pre-existing conditions (not just pregnancy).

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2010 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zonie (Post 8797937)
Pink? Mine is blue, or are you wearing those rose tinted spectacles again?

Defo located in a pink bar...maybe it depends what browser you're using.

Sally Redux Aug 23rd 2010 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Zonie (Post 8797909)
This may be you:

People Entitled to Full NHS Hospital Treatment free of charge

Anyone working abroad for not more than 5 years as long as they have lived legally in the UK for ten continuous years at some point (including self employed people);

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074379

That's interesting. It appears to be hospital treatment only, I wonder if the wife could continue on the current birth plan she has or would just have to present at a hospital?

If ryanthelion is unsure about the healthcare, it would seem sensible to delay the start of the job. Also, although some members have had home births in the US, my understanding is that it's far from the norm. Epidural in hospital at the very least.

Noorah101 Aug 23rd 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8797941)
Defo located in a pink bar...maybe it depends what browser you're using.

Mine is kind of a dingy yellow....

Rene

Noorah101 Aug 23rd 2010 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84 (Post 8797925)

Make sure you check ahead of time with the insurance plan you end up on, to see how home birthing is covered. Might be different than hospital birthing.

Rene

Bluegrass Lass Aug 23rd 2010 11:21 pm

MrsElui is the resident home birthing expert. Look for some posts by her Ryan.