Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before your NHS priviledges become exempt?

Originally Posted by ryanthelion84
Well I'm proud of my wife for giving birth to our daughter with nothing but a tens machine in the early stages of labor, some relaxation techniques and the soothing effect of the water in the birthing pool as pain relief...she did this in a birthing centre and as such wants to go one better this time and have a home birth...something she is let to convince me of...id like the idea of the birthing centre again!
I had my second one at home and highly recommend it.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Anyways....we digress!

All in all i think my the answer to the question i put forward in this thread has been answered...

You can return to the UK anytime within 5 years of your emigration to a fully supportive NHS provided that prior to emigration you were a permanent UK resident for a 10yr + period.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:01 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm proud of my wife for giving birth to our daughter with nothing but a tens machine in the early stages of labor, some relaxation techniques and the soothing effect of the water in the birthing pool as pain relief...she did this in a birthing centre and as such wants to go one better this time and have a home birth...something she is let to convince me of...id like the idea of the birthing centre again!
My hubby electicuted me with my tens machine while I was in labor. Serious, I had stuck up hair and everything
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:02 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways....we digress!
Yeah get used to it, it never gets past 2 pages without the subject changing totally.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

ryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really niceryanthelion84 is just really nice

Sally > Are we talking UK or US for the home birth?

It would be really interesting to know which states condone it I suppose...in particular does Florida?

Next is check the company health plan if i get that far in the selection process to determine if pregnancy is covered from the offset and if the policy in this area is as good as some posters have said they have experienced in the past, or indeed as bad as others...and then maybe look to find out if local hospitals near where we would be looking to live are legs in stirrups with a drug pipe up your spine, cut you open if you break a sweat style medical establishments or indeed ones with a birthing pool and a more natural outlook...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
My hubby electicuted me with my tens machine while I was in labor. Serious, I had stuck up hair and everything
OMG! Sorry, but the picture that brings to mind.....
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nicky> I guess the trouble is its such a big topic and one question tends to be answered by another question and before you know it you get overwhelmed...at least in my job im used to be inundated with information and having to break stuff down into sizable chunks.., which is why, (rather annoyingly to people probably) you'll see lot's of posts from me all with a different question!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sally > Are we talking UK or US for the home birth?

It would be really interesting to know which states condone it I suppose...in particular does Florida?

Next is check the company health plan if i get that far in the selection process to determine if pregnancy is covered from the offset and if the policy in this area is as good as some posters have said they have experienced in the past, or indeed as bad as others...and then maybe look to find out if local hospitals near where we would be looking to live are legs in stirrups with a drug pipe up your spine, cut you open if you break a sweat style medical establishments or indeed ones with a birthing pool and a more natural outlook...
That was UK.

At this late stage, I'd really recommend she stays where she is. Some other members on here have had home births in the US, but how would you set it all up in time?

P.S. if you hit the quote button or the little arrow symbol under a post, you can quote it directly.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways....we digress!

All in all i think my the answer to the question i put forward in this thread has been answered...

You can return to the UK anytime within 5 years of your emigration to a fully supportive NHS provided that prior to emigration you were a permanent UK resident for a 10yr + period.
For clarification, ER and hospital yes but not GP, although they do have discretion.

Last edited by Zonie; Aug 24th 2010 at 7:28 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zonie
For clarification, ER and hospital yes but not GP, although they do have discretion.
Indeed...this seems to be it...however I work in Healthcare computing and know the process inside out and I'm failing to see that if you change your address before you leave to say, the address of your parents 2 mins down the road, that there is no way of knowing whether you've been out of the country or not!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed...this seems to be it...however I work in Healthcare computing and know the process inside out and I'm failing to see that if you change your address before you leave to say, the address of your parents 2 mins down the road, that there is no way of knowing whether you've been out of the country or not!
Oh wait, I thought we were talking about what you are allowed to do, not what you can get away with... I think the thread you're looking for is this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682433
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe you can carry on getting Child Benefit as well
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Maybe you can carry on getting Child Benefit as well
Hey! Now there's a thought!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I'll pay for your free, fraudulently-obtained health care, be my guest.

Is there an epidemic I missed when I was watching the news today? Or is BE the venue for this year's Freeloaders Convention and I didn't get the announcement email?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sure, I'll pay for your free, fraudulently-obtained health care, be my guest.

Is there an epidemic I missed when I was watching the news today? Or is BE the venue for this year's Freeloaders Convention and I didn't get the announcement email?
Cancelled for this year, no one would buy any tickets.

Last edited by Zonie; Aug 24th 2010 at 10:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.