Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long before the kids get a US accent?

Wikiposts

How long before the kids get a US accent?

Old May 8th 2009, 12:32 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before the kids get a US accent?

my three and a half year old daughter likes to correct my pronunciation of certain words: "no daddy, they're called vytamins", and take the piss out of others: "hahahaha daddy says wawter hahahaha"
Old May 8th 2009, 1:07 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Our son was 9 when we moved and picked up the accent quite quickly at school but I think mostly so the kids would understand him. When grandma & grandad visited in March he lapsed straght back into broad Aberderdonian
Old May 8th 2009, 2:18 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is already telling me my little 9 months old son will soon be talking in a country accent. He was born here and half his family is from the south but it doesn't stop me hoping that some how he'll pick up the English accent from me if only to impress the ladies when he's older
Old May 8th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Ok... slightly tricky one... our kids are 5 and 7 and we are assured that they have no chance of maintaining an English accent (which makes sense as their brains are still developing - unlike mine)....but how long does it take...?

Answers on a postcard...

Doug.
Hey Dougster... Don't be so sure about your own accent.

I've been here six years and thought my accent was the same as when I got here, but I went out for a few drinks with JamesAndAli a few weeks back and was shocked to hear them ask about my accent... I think "mid-atlantic" was how they described it.

If an adult accent can change in six years, I think you can expect to hear changes very quickly for the kids emersed totally in the US school system at an age that they are still learning the language.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:51 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here since December, and my boys are getting a bit of a 'twang' that I can detect......... Although when my mum talks to them on Skype she says that they sound really american.

The enunciations they have really picked up on is the hard 'R' in words.... like at the end of water, better etc, and they seem to have lost the ability to use a T in the middle of words, prefering the good old 'D' instead, so we have Wader, bedder etc...... They also use the american words for things - chips, pants etc... .athough I do insist that they call me MUM not MOM!!

According to both my mum and my hubby, even after the short 5 months we've been here so far, I also have a twang developing...... in fact hubby nearly pee'd his pants laughing the other day when he heard me at work saying room 428.... apparantly it came out 100% Kentucky.... a real 'fower twenny ayt' ..... my mum says that for the first 5 minutes of talking to her I sound american, then I slip back to being a brit again!
Old May 8th 2009, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Little bit different for us, we have been there and back a couple of times, spending about 11 years in the UK (between tours) and around 11 here, my 2 boys (21 and 16) both have the US accent, but can 'put on' the Brit one any time they want too! Everyone I talk to in the UK says I have 'lost' my Brit accent, yet all my friends here say I am definitely still an 'Englishtart'
Old May 8th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

My fiancée has warned me that I better not lose my accent; is doing so grounds for divorce?
Old May 8th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
My fiancée has warned me that I better not lose my accent; is doing so grounds for divorce?
A couple of years and you're in for some deep shit... Tally Ho!
Old May 8th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

My 6 year old had a large twang until he spent a week with his Rochdale, UK cousins...that brought him back to earth with a bump
Old May 9th 2009, 3:22 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

one day at pre school! that said they are useful translaters for me and hubby! and at home Uk English the minute in the outer world of the US, they use US English, I saw the making of me with John Barrowman brought up in the States but at home Scotish! my boy don't have a unified accent at home I am SE Kent Dad is Scot from 20 miles outside Glasgow...but the English genes are shining through!
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the US on a J1 visa when I was 18 I developed a mid Atlantic twang within a few months and even now, some 14 years later I still say the odd word with a slight American accent. My 2 kids, daughter 4yrs and son almost 6yrs, have a mainly English accent seeing as they were born and brought up here but they both say the odd word with a Scottish accent inherited from me. I think when we move to US later in year, they will both pick up the American accent quite quickly. As will I. Husband will end up being the odd one out!
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by neil
And quite rightly too, my daughter is almost 2, and she says chips (for proper chips), trousers, nappy (although she does say diaper too), and she knows what a teapot is - of course I expect eventually I'll lose control.

She also talks to me in a British accent on some random words - I don't notice this stuff so much but my wife finds it funny.
My son was 9 when we came here - now 15. He flip flops his accent depending on who he is talking to. When my my friends and family have visited, they have commented on the 'twang' in my own accent - I guess if you are completely submerged in a culture, some of it is going to rub off. Got all the 'chips', 'pants', 'gas' and such on autopilot right now. Find myself having to really work hard not to sound too American when people visit!
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Ok... slightly tricky one... our kids are 5 and 7 and we are assured that they have no chance of maintaining an English accent (which makes sense as their brains are still developing - unlike mine)....but how long does it take...?

Answers on a postcard...

Doug.
For me It depended on the age of the kids and their feelings about moving to the US. When I arrived in 2004 my daughter, then 7, had an accent halfway across the Atlantic as we were flying out. My son, who was two years older still has a south of England twang, which is more or less pronounced depending on how pretty the girl is he is talking to!!

D
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:47 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the word choice slip after only a few weeks, flashlight, sidewalks, diapers, etc. The accent thing may change after awhile, but even amongst friends who are English but raised in the US, there are occasional hints of a 'British accent' still in their voice. As others said they'll sound American to a Brit, but to an American who listens closely you'll see traces of their original accent stay on for years.
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:22 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

As well as all of the things above: pronouncing a "d" instead of "t" in words such as battery/baddery and butter/budder, the use of certain words such as "trash", "trunk", "pants" etc, the other thing I've noticed particularly in my son (nearly 14, been here since he was 10) is that all words seem to merge into one. So a sentence becomesonewheretherearenospacesorspecificpronuncia tionofeachword
Drives me insane! I have to ask him to repeat himself when he does it. For those of you who live in Houston my hubby and I call it the "Mattress Mack" syndrome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.