Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How important is getting a UK passport for a dual citizen?

How important is getting a UK passport for a dual citizen?

Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

imissmonstermunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How important is getting a UK passport for a dual citizen?

I have read various older threads about dual citizens getting both passports, and how to go about doing that. But I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is really all that important to get the UK passport if you're only going there for a short holiday and you have a proper US passport to get back into the US where I now live as a citizen? I know some people who didn't have a US passport on them have had problems getting back into the US on their way back home from a trip to UK, but what if you're a dual citizen travelling from US to UK on a US passport, would the UK really give you a problem if you're only trying to visit for a short while? Could they turn you away and send you back to US, if you don't have a UK passport too?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't travel much and don't know how these things work. And the main reason I am asking is because after having just received my new US passport, I am looking at now making a UK passport as people have suggested, but the fee would be over 200 more, so I am trying to find out if it is really worth doing. Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How important is getting a UK passport for a dual citizen?

I have dual UK/USA citizenship as well with passports for both. No problem getting into and out of the UK and back into the USA on a US passport. No need to carry a UK one if you don't want to. On the US passport it has a small "place of birth" space on the id page. If you were born in the UK it should say that on there.

The number of times I have come into LHR and going through passport control with the US passport and the desk person said "welcome home". It was nice of them.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't have looked that hard...this is answered in the numerous passport threads.

US citizens, required to use US passport to exit/enter US, so you need one.

UK citizens only need a passport fit for purpose to enter/leave UK, so if only for a holiday, a US passport is fine.

You only really need the UK passport if you were moving back permanently. Though as a UK citizen, you can't be refused entry, it's just more hassle.

It's worth renewing the UK passport in the UK on your next holiday, if you're near one of the servicing centres, Liverpool/London etc, and get it done in a day, it costs a little more and a bit more planning but it is still cheaper than a foreign renewal.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

imissmonstermunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for the answers. If the UK passport is only really needed for moving back there permanently, why do so many dual citizens living in the US who seem to have no plans to move to UK still keep UK passports on top of a US passport then? Sort of an emergency thing, just in case? It costs hundred of dollars to make one, I don't really understand why people would spend that on something not totally necessary. Just curious about this...

Last edited by imissmonstermunch; Feb 17th 2013 at 8:01 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imissmonstermunch
Thank you both for the answers. If the UK passport is only really needed for moving back there permanently, why do so many dual citizens living in the US who seem to have no plans to move to UK still keep UK passports on top of a US passport then? Sort of an emergency thing, just in case? It costs hundred of dollars to make one, I don't really understand why people would spend that on something not totally necessary. Just curious about this...
because if you let it lapse for to long, you would then have to apply as if it were a first time passport rather than as a renewal and that is a lot more ballache.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for the answers. If the UK passport is only really needed for moving back there permanently, why do so many dual citizens living in the US who seem to have no plans to move to UK still keep UK passports on top of a US passport then?
As someone else says, it's easier to renew than get a new one if you let it lapse for too long. Also, a U.K. passport gets you into certain countries (visa-free) where you would require a visa if using a U.S. passport. For example - Brazil.

On the other hand, some people prefer to let U.K. passports lapse for various reasons, especially as an indicator of having shed a U.K. domicile (can affect inheritance tax liability).
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great way to prove citizenship if needed. Especially true for kids born in the US and getting those kids their UK passport.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:19 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

UK passport would make EU travel easier. If you have an expired UK passport, that would help for "proving" UK citizenship, but it is the US pp that gets you in and out of the States easiest, so no you don't need both, in general.

If you travel to other countries, it may be easier to get a visa as a UK citizen than US, perhaps.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

The only advantage I can see is you can pick the shortest queue at immigration when you go back to the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked this of some people I know and in some cases I find that it's really a security blanket. There is still this fear that they've somehow compromised their UK citizenship by taking on another citizenship. So they keep a valid UK passport just to prove to themselves and everyone else that they are still UKCs. I'm not saying this is true in all cases because some people actually do find having a UK passport to be useful. However, I know some people who've kept a valid UK passport and never actually used it before it expired! And then they get another one!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paul32x
The only advantage I can see is you can pick the shortest queue at immigration when you go back to the UK.
Yes... but it isn't always true though, quite often I have found the non-EU line to be quicker.

We will not be renewing oldest child's UK passport which is about to expire. It does feel a bit weird somehow even though neither of us are UK citizens! So I can understand that people want it as "security blanket"!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I know some people who've kept a valid UK passport and never actually used it before it expired!
I've only used my UK passport a few times, and as I have almost no family left in Scotland, I'll probably let it expire. I'm in the process of renewing my Canadian passport, which I use a lot more since my mum and brother still live in Toronto... but once mum is gone (she's 84) I'll probably let that lapse also. At this point in time, I keep my CDN passport in case of an emergency - so I don't have to worry about not being allowed in. Damn CDN passports are only valid for 5 years!

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I've only used my UK passport a few times, and as I have almost no family left in Scotland, I'll probably let it expire. I'm in the process of renewing my Canadian passport, which I use a lot more since my mum and brother still live in Toronto... but once mum is gone (she's 84) I'll probably let that lapse also. At this point in time, I keep my CDN passport in case of an emergency - so I don't have to worry about not being allowed in. Damn CDN passports are only valid for 5 years!

Ian
You might want to wait. The new Canadian ePassports will be available on July 1st 2013. You can choose between a 5 year or 10 year passport. Although you can easily visit Canada on a US passport anyway (which I did this past weekend). Just bring proof of Canadian citizenship if you are worried about the remote possibility of being refused entry.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 19th 2013 at 5:48 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The new Canadian ePassports will be available on July 1st 2013. You can choose between a 5 year or 10 year passport.
This is excellent information! Thanks! I haven't really been keeping up with Canadian stuff for the past 10 years or so.

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is excellent information! Thanks! I haven't really been keeping up with Canadian stuff for the past 10 years or so.

Ian
If you can apply from within Canada (using a relative's address), you'll save yourself some money.

Here are the new ePassport fees (effective July 1st 2013):
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/publications/co....aspx?lang=eng

Here are the current passport fees for comparison:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section6.aspx?lang=eng