Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How honest should we be at immigration?

How honest should we be at immigration?

Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default How honest should we be at immigration?

Cross-posted in the Canadian immigration forum...

We've decided to tie a holiday in with our immigration, so before we go up to Canada we'll be spending about a month with my parents in South Carolina, then driving up to Canada with them in their car. We will have return flights from Birmingham to SC (partly to satisfy the visa-waiver requirements, partly because returns are cheaper!), with the return date being about 2 months after we arrive (to give us plenty of time to leave the country before the date on the tickets).

The question is, how honest should we be with immigration in the US when we land? My husband is a landed Canadian PR, with the visa in his passport and his PR card. We will be carrying a fair amount of personal belongings (probably more and different stuff to the average holiday maker). Our purpose for being in the US is holiday, but we have no intention of using the return ticket, because once we're done in SC we'll be driving up and starting our new life in Canada.

Should we actually say this at immigration, or should we just pretend that we're just holiday-makers who will be staying for 2 months? I'm a bit hesitant about lying to the immigration officers (I was always brought up NOT to lie or joke with them!), but I'm afraid that if we tell them the full truth they will think that we won't actually be moving on to Canada and deny us entry to the US.

It's a little frustrating, because we have no intention of doing anything wrong, but these days I can understand they are a little hypersensitive about all things immigration!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How honest should we be at immigration?

They normally just ask the purpose of your visit and its duration.

But if for some unusual reason they query further tell the truth.

No need to volunteer anything.

Have the evidence to support your intention to hand just in case.