British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How homesick are you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-homesick-you-433476/)

Maz Mar 9th 2007 3:41 pm

How homesick are you?

Would you move back to the UK today if you could? Or are you settled for good? Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle.

Today marks my 15th anniversary of moving out of England. I have to say I feel more and more like a foreigner when I go back (usually once a year) and am ramping up to hopefully move to NZ. I don't feel at home in the US, and feel out of place in the UK too.

Maybe I just have gypsy blood. :lol:

jumping doris Mar 9th 2007 3:48 pm

Re: How homesick are you?

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4502307)
Would you move back to the UK today if you could? Or are you settled for good? Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle.

Today marks my 15th anniversary of moving out of England. I have to say I feel more and more like a foreigner when I go back (usually once a year) and am ramping up to hopefully move to NZ. I don't feel at home in the US, and feel out of place in the UK too.

Maybe I just have gypsy blood. :lol:

I'm in the middle at the moment.
Feel less homesick than I did a few weeks ago .
I wish we had never come here and that is different to wanting to go back.
Comming here was a unanimous decision, going back would be mostly my decision. My daughters and OH love it, I'm on the fence.
There is a lot I would miss if we went back and a lot I will miss should we stay.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of the States and hopefully living somewhere other than Pittsburgh one day.
Our green card situation is also looking more hopeful and that makes a big difference.
Plus the sun is shining and we are going to have a lovely hot summer!

TruBrit Mar 9th 2007 3:57 pm

hiya maz,

nope i'm never homesick as such coz i know blighty is there just waiting for me to return for good one of these days. maybe it's because i go home so often that i never feel a 'foreigner' in the uk. also i have travelled the world and appreciate what the uk has to offer me. the usa is not home and never will be, it's just a base for now.

i feel lucky to know where home is. must be a bit unsettling to say the least to feel so out of place. hope you make it to nz. good luck :)

Ray Mar 9th 2007 4:16 pm

I was in the UK in May 06 ...and said then ..its unlikely I
would ever return ...

Bob Mar 9th 2007 4:26 pm

Not homesick...won't be moving back anytime soon, though I'm not sure I'd want to grow old here.

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4502444)
I was in the UK in May 06 ...and said then ..its unlikely I
would ever return ...

You died there and your body was brought back to the US.

Jerseygirl Mar 9th 2007 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 4502342)
I'm in the middle at the moment.
Feel less homesick than I did a few weeks ago .
I wish we had never come here and that is different to wanting to go back.
Comming here was a unanimous decision, going back would be mostly my decision. My daughters and OH love it, I'm on the fence.
There is a lot I would miss if we went back and a lot I will miss should we stay.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of the States and hopefully living somewhere other than Pittsburgh one day.
Our green card situation is also looking more hopeful and that makes a big difference.
Plus the sun is shining and we are going to have a lovely hot summer!

Apart from the GC bit...I could have written that post.

I have come to accept that this is the way of life for many expats...a foot in both countries but never feeling really settled anywhere again. Some days I miss the UK like crazy...others days I get by. My solution is to buy myself a little pied a terre over there so I can visit more often.

TruBrit Mar 9th 2007 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4502789)
My solution is to buy myself a little pied a terre over there so I can visit more often.

hmmmm tried that, thought that would fix me when i bought mine 2 yrs ago :blink:

Texas Mom Mar 9th 2007 6:24 pm

I'm fairly settled here in the States although it's only been nine months.
Things that happen at home make me feel home sick and make me wonder what the hell I'm doing here.

The most recent thing to have happened is that my grandfather was taken into hospital. I get daily updates and was fortunate enough to talk to him the other day but it's not the same as popping in with a bunch of grapes. He's not doing to well at all but he would hate to think that I was sitting here worried sick about him.
So for that reason I'm home sick just now as I'd like to spend some time with him.

Other than that I have no complaints. I don't think we'll be in Texas for ever. Hubby has been all over the world with work and it's only a matter of time before he gets head hunted again and I'm not opposed to moving again. Life's too short and the world is a big place.

I lived in the town I was born in until last June when we moved here. If a return to the UK was on the cards I'd like to try somewhere other than my home town.

danfan Mar 9th 2007 7:08 pm

New to this forum but couldn't resist this thread.
I've been in US for nearly 5 years & am married to a yank and we're here for the long haul. But yes, I miss home terribly!

I miss my mum, my friends, my job, the language, Corrie, driving on the left, fish and chips - geez, everything. I got excited when my supermarket started stocking mushy peas last week!

I felt like a real alien for the first few years - truly out of place and had a huge appreciation for how immigrants must feel when they don't speak the language. I still feel odd here, moved from Va to Pa last year & have settled a bit better here & am hoping to get to England for a visit this year. I'm hoping I don't feel like an alien there too.

rincewind Mar 9th 2007 7:17 pm

Get homesick everytime I think about what I had in England before I moved here.

britvic Mar 9th 2007 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 4502956)

You've said it for me Rincey :(

Ray Mar 9th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind (Post 4502956)

But look what you have now ...!! sheesh ...

Lycanthrop Mar 9th 2007 7:37 pm

20 years this month since I fell off the tuna boat. I've Lived in Cali and beautiful but shagged out northern NY and now the mid-Atlantic South. Having moved across the country and arguably seen more in 20 years than some will ever do in their whole lifetime I'd be quite happy in a non-descript semi in Lower Crapston. Moved here thinking "if I dont - I'll always regret it".........well, its been done now........and thats that. :)

rincewind Mar 9th 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4503018)
But look what you have now ...!! sheesh ...

Thanks for making me homesick again.

I have less here.