Reload this Page >

How to help without offending

Wikiposts

How to help without offending

Old Apr 12th 2004, 9:12 am
JeanDupont

Default Re: How to help without offending

Originally posted by Rete
Yup you fit the bill for arrognance and stupidity all in one package. Now I wonder which nationality you are?

The relevance is that I can't understand either a british or an australian accent you twit.

But then perhaps relevance is over your head. Three year olds do have a problem with grasping concepts and they have no reading comprehension the same as you.

Rete
If you can't understand a British or an Australian accent then you are in a very small minority group in the entire North American continent - OR you are challenged in some way.

As you wonder what nationality I am - I am a dual US/UK citizen of mixed US/UK parentage and have spent about half my 70 years in each country.

Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
STOP!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
I'm sorry guy's but I can NEVER get used to calling my back my front!

Oh you'll soon get used to thinking arse backwards
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sterlingandjack
Ex: I am in a grocery store and a couple with british accent (not australian), are asking clerk how to "motor" to a destination in another county. The clerk doesnt have any idea what "motor" means or what city he is refering to because of the accent, he is unintelligible. They look very embarrassed, angry and uptight on the point of exploding -after repeating themselves for the 5th time. They obviously dont want to be noticed anymore than they already are. That is the sort of thing.
I'd be bloody frustrated listening to that lot.
If a couple can't substitute a more easily understood word for "motor" by the fifth attempt, they're beyond help mate....but you could try saying distinctly to the clerk...they want directions to so and so.....
Old Apr 12th 2004, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kazzuk
Imagine Delboy and Rodney coming to USA and trying to communicate. Now that would be worth a show......
They did!!! Anyone remember the show (forget the name of it) anyhow it is the one where they go to Florida and Del is mistaken for a mob leader and everyone else think they are Austrailian?

Ash
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:59 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
They did!!! Anyone remember the show (forget the name of it) anyhow it is the one where they go to Florida and Del is mistaken for a mob leader and everyone else think they are Austrailian?

Ash
It was a christmas special. They were in Miami.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:09 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
It's not a trolley - its a cart
I thought so too- 'till I moved to Alabama-stan. Here it is a Buggy (pronounced Boo-gy)
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:10 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
I thought so too- 'till I moved to Alabama-stan. Here it is a Buggy (pronounced Boo-gy)
You can't have trolley's in Alabama if 99% of the population are off theirs.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeanDupont
If you can't understand a British or an Australian accent then you are in a very small minority group in the entire North American continent - OR you are challenged in some way.

As you wonder what nationality I am - I am a dual US/UK citizen of mixed US/UK parentage and have spent about half my 70 years in each country.

FYI yes I am. I am hearing impaired. Severly. I wear two BTE aids.

As for challenged, you are the challenged one if you think that everyone but a few can understand Brits or Australian accents. I know many normal hearing people who cannot. Of course, it depends on the region of their country they come from. Also the fact that the each country has their own colloquialisms which are not always readily discernible even when used in a sentence.

As for your nationality, I don't give a rat's arse what or where you hale from. It doesn't make you any smarter nor any more provincal or stupid then you have shown yourself to be.

You have 15 years on me and I do hope that in 15 years I do not show the same intolerance for others and suppposed superiority that I would demean others without just cause.

Rete
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:56 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Then I would say most US citizens are in that same category- with the exception of the "Aristocratic, nose up in the air Queen's English" type. I can tell the "Booy cracky, 'ees a big'n ain't 'ee, 'is moma mus'ta beeen a woppa" Crocadile Hunter or Croc Dundee Ausie accent, but most anything in between I am never sure and I imagine most here are the same way.

As far as understanding either, I get almost as much as I do from the Southerners down here with the exagerated southern accent-90% or so.

I also find that whether from Oz, England, Ireland, Scottland or where ever, I understand the educated/professional class much better than those with lower levels of education. Since 1/2 of Alabama-stan must have dropped out in the 8th grade, I have a hard time with some of the local red-necks and "rural blacks".
Old Apr 13th 2004, 4:50 am
JeanDupont

Originally posted by Rete
FYI yes I am. I am hearing impaired. Severly. I wear two BTE aids.

As for challenged, you are the challenged one if you think that everyone but a few can understand Brits or Australian accents. I know many normal hearing people who cannot. Of course, it depends on the region of their country they come from. Also the fact that the each country has their own colloquialisms which are not always readily discernible even when used in a sentence.

As for your nationality, I don't give a rat's arse what or where you hale from. It doesn't make you any smarter nor any more provincal or stupid then you have shown yourself to be.

You have 15 years on me and I do hope that in 15 years I do not show the same intolerance for others and suppposed superiority that I would demean others without just cause.

Rete
So - basically you are deaf and you cannot understand Brits or Aussies - what a surprise!

Why the **** could you not have mentioned this before??????

Now I sympathise with you - it makes all the difference having the hearing aids.

I know from experience that they often pick up and amplify all the background noise as well making it very hard to understand speech.

Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

So - basically you are deaf and you cannot understand Brits or Aussies - what a surprise!

Why the **** could you not have mentioned this before??????

Now I sympathise with you - it makes all the difference having the hearing aids.

I know from experience that they often pick up and amplify all the background noise as well making it very hard to understand speech.

Being the only Englishman around here (Southern Maryland, I guarantee you that 99% of the people I speak to think I'm Australian.
I always found it hard to tell the difference between Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans.
So it's hardly surprising that many Americans don't recognize a UK accent, particularly with all the "dialects" Michael Caine/Bob Hoskins/Rupert Everitt/Hugh Grant + London/Brum/Newcastle