Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to help without offending

Wikiposts

How to help without offending

Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:58 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no it isn't I went to New York and you should have seen the size of some of the fannies I saw there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by manc1976
I mean, I can go shopping without too much fuss.
Yeah, but give me a trolley where the back wheels turn, so I can move the thing from one side of the aisle to the other without lifting or doing a mad zig-zag dance. It'll help my blood pressure no end.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kazzuk
Oh no it isn't I went to New York and you should have seen the size of some of the fannies I saw there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
I'm sorry guy's but I can NEVER get used to calling my back my front!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:06 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scorchio
Yeah, but give me a trolley where the back wheels turn, so I can move the thing from one side of the aisle to the other without lifting or doing a mad zig-zag dance. It'll help my blood pressure no end.
It's not a trolley - its a cart
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to help without offending

Originally posted by Leslie66
Instead of trying to "dumb down" the immigrants you should be helping the retards working in the grocery story who apparently can't understand English.

Leslie, not nice. Many of the workers in our Stop and Shop are immigrants and the baggers are either mentally handicapped and/or elderly. I give them and the store points for humanity.

I'm sorry to say that I can't understand most Brits and forget about watching the Crock Dundee movies. I need subtitles.

Rete
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:15 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Imagine Delboy and Rodney coming to USA and trying to communicate. Now that would be worth a show......
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:16 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Originally posted by kazzuk
Imagine Delboy and Rodney coming to USA and trying to communicate. Now that would be worth a show......
I'm going to start a new thread - re: funny things that could be said in the show
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:35 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Actually sounded a lot like my mother there. :lecture: She is convinced that America is getting stupider by the generation. She blames rap music and MTV. The older I get, the more often I find myself in agreement with her.

True about the handicapped, one of the grocery stores I go to employs handicapped baggers. Overall they are friendlier, smarter, faster, and more efficient than the regular baggers.

Originally posted by Rete
Leslie, not nice. Many of the workers in our Stop and Shop are immigrants and the baggers are either mentally handicapped and/or elderly. I give them and the store points for humanity.

I'm sorry to say that I can't understand most Brits and forget about watching the Crock Dundee movies. I need subtitles.

Rete
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:45 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sterlingandjack
Ex: I am in a grocery store and a couple with british accent (not australian), are asking clerk how to "motor" to a destination in another county. The clerk doesnt have any idea what "motor" means or what city he is refering to because of the accent, he is unintelligible. They look very embarrassed, angry and uptight on the point of exploding -after repeating themselves for the 5th time. They obviously dont want to be noticed anymore than they already are. That is the sort of thing.
They were just strange then. Who uses "motor" as a verb ffs? Perhaps they were German with a very good command of English? Should have bought a map, like most Brits do. Relying on verbal directions instead of looking at a map is a very American thing.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
Actually sounded a lot like my mother there. :lecture: She is convinced that America is getting stupider by the generation. She blames rap music and MTV. The older I get, the more often I find myself in agreement with her.
Isn't it scary?????

True about the handicapped, one of the grocery stores I go to employs handicapped baggers. Overall they are friendlier, smarter, faster, and more efficient than the regular baggers.

We find them the same way here. I found Publix in Naples, Florida does the same.

Rete
Old Apr 12th 2004, 8:12 am
JeanDupont

Originally posted by Rete

Rete
What the **** is the relevance of a "Crock Dundee" movie?

Its Australian you grasshole!

In case you didn't know - Australia is a DIFFERENT country to Britain and is some 12,000 or so miles away!

Old Apr 12th 2004, 8:15 am
JeanDupont

Originally posted by monster
They were just strange then. Who uses "motor" as a verb ffs? Perhaps they were German with a very good command of English? Should have bought a map, like most Brits do. Relying on verbal directions instead of looking at a map is a very American thing.
I agree - Brits do not say "motor" as a verb - they say "drive" like most Americans.

As you say it is more than likely these were European tourists doing their best to make themselves understood in English.

I find Costco or Sams good for general maps - and they are about one quarter of the bookstore price.

Old Apr 12th 2004, 8:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeanDupont

In case you didn't know - Australia is a DIFFERENT country to Britain and is some 12,000 or so miles away!
What's a grasshole? lol.

Is that British?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 8:18 am
WTF?

I agree - Brits do not say "motor" as a verb - they say "drive" like most Americans.

As you say it is more than likely these were European tourists doing their best to make themselves understood in English.

I find Costco or Sams good for general maps - and they are about one quarter of the bookstore price.
I think this whole thread was a joke........

Or as the Brits say "The OP is winding us up."
Old Apr 12th 2004, 8:25 am
Concierge

Yup you fit the bill for arrognance and stupidity all in one package. Now I wonder which nationality you are?

The relevance is that I can't understand either a british or an australian accent you twit.

But then perhaps relevance is over your head. Three year olds do have a problem with grasping concepts and they have no reading comprehension the same as you.

Rete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.