Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to help without offending

How to help without offending

Old Apr 12th 2004, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

sterlingandjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to help without offending

I would like some opinions on how to help someone out who has a british accent and could use a nudge in the right direction. I sometimes come across such people in line somewhere at a grocery store or a museum, etc. They obviously don't want to be noticed for the accent but you can see they are frustrated and dont know how to go about what they are trying to do.

Now, would I be the "pushy" american for trying to help or should I just ignore them? I am naturally a retiring type and I can see how hard it is for them to have to ask for help but they do and its not going well because they are asking the wrong questions. Is there a right way to intervene and end their embarassment?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 4:08 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to help without offending

Originally posted by sterlingandjack
I would like some opinions on how to help someone out who has a british accent and could use a nudge in the right direction. I sometimes come across such people in line somewhere at a grocery store or a museum, etc. They obviously don't want to be noticed for the accent but you can see they are frustrated and dont know how to go about what they are trying to do.

Now, would I be the "pushy" american for trying to help or should I just ignore them? I am naturally a retiring type and I can see how hard it is for them to have to ask for help but they do and its not going well because they are asking the wrong questions. Is there a right way to intervene and end their embarassment?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

LMAO Oh please. Someone out there must seriously be having a laugh!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Manc on this one...

Ash
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, why would we need help in a grocery store?
I mean, I can go shopping without too much fuss.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:24 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what they interpret as needing help is the long silence that we give when trying to work out, why they can't understand a word that is pronounced slightly different. Why they can't even take an educated guess as to what we might be asking for......
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:28 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Perhaps we might understand the question better if you gave a few examples? How can you tell if a complete stranger with a British accent is embarrassed and frustrated? Are you sure they're not Australian?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:29 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by kazzuk
I think what they interpret as needing help is the long silence that we give when trying to work out, why they can't understand a word that is pronounced slightly different. Why they can't even take an educated guess as to what we might be asking for......

Perhaps the poster is referring to the stunned silence that follows "what language do you speak over there, then?"
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you sure they're not Australian?
Now that's funny! LOL I'm ALWAYS confused with being Australian.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to help without offending

Instead of trying to "dumb down" the immigrants you should be helping the retards working in the grocery story who apparently can't understand English.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

sterlingandjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Ex: I am in a grocery store and a couple with british accent (not australian), are asking clerk how to "motor" to a destination in another county. The clerk doesnt have any idea what "motor" means or what city he is refering to because of the accent, he is unintelligible. They look very embarrassed, angry and uptight on the point of exploding -after repeating themselves for the 5th time. They obviously dont want to be noticed anymore than they already are. That is the sort of thing.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:43 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

But you can't help but pick up some words. My mum went silent the other day when I called her and said that my fanny was 2 inches bigger since moving here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:44 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Ex: I am in a grocery store and a couple with british accent (not australian), are asking clerk how to "motor" to a destination in another county. The clerk doesnt have any idea what "motor" means or what city he is refering to because of the accent, he is unintelligible. They look very embarrassed, angry and uptight on the point of exploding -after repeating themselves for the 5th time. They obviously dont want to be noticed anymore than they already are. That is the sort of thing.
Enough said, must have been southerners!
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the clerk what motor means.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kazzuk
But you can't help but pick up some words. My mum went silent the other day when I called her and said that my fanny was 2 inches bigger since moving here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope that symptom of relocation is confined to Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.