Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Originally Posted by Jonion
Orlroight, ow yam doin?
Yow a yam-yam, too?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yow a yam-yam, too?
No, I'm 15 miles north so close enough to be able to do most of the regionals to good effect.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandLuc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yow a yam-yam, too?
I am (originally from Fordhouses) but as I spent most of my uni years away in Wales and working in Bristol after graduating I don't have that strong of an accent anymore.....thankfully
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:02 pm
Wabi Sabi

Pearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to all

As an American, I can vouch for most of us thinking a Brit is posh and intelligent just because of the accent. Of course, I don't even notice my English hubby's any longer except for when he calls the kitchen backsplash the splashback or the "median" in a split highway, the "central reservation." Of course, I find it hilarious when I have to translate what he said to a fellow American. Even funnier is when I have to translate for him to a fellow Brit (his accent has flattened out a bit from living in Germany and the USA for the past 10 years)... And, yes, a British accent is just plain sexy (a la James Bond) ! And I do believe at times my husband gets a bit of preferential treatment - lucky him!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:16 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pearlgirl
As an American, I can vouch for most of us thinking a Brit is posh and intelligent just because of the accent. Of course, I don't even notice my English hubby's any longer except for when he calls the kitchen backsplash the splashback or the "median" in a split highway, the "central reservation." Of course, I find it hilarious when I have to translate what he said to a fellow American. Even funnier is when I have to translate for him to a fellow Brit (his accent has flattened out a bit from living in Germany and the USA for the past 10 years)... And, yes, a British accent is just plain sexy (a la James Bond) ! And I do believe at times my husband gets a bit of preferential treatment - lucky him!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

I was thick
Thick as two short planks....
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Nice
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Sally...you beat me to it....that was exactly what I was just about to download.....
with the suggestion to also click the link to read the newspaper article

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steveq
Just go in a red coat, the smart ones may snigger, the thick ones won't get it.
Local re-enactment units have tried to recruit me twice, one lot wore red-coats and wanted someone who sounded convincing, and the other lot were an artillery unit wanting someone else to do the incredibly dangerous job of loading antique cannon from the front end (nasty rate of 'accidental' discharges + subsequent loss of limb). I made polite excuses and left.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs Sally...you beat me to it....that was exactly what I was just about to download.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs
Quality.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

13 years later, still can't order waTer in a restaurant and apparently still having trouble being understood on the phone too.
Meet a lot of folks who claim their ancestors came over on the Mayflower which I'm now beginning to suspect was the worlds first super cruiser. Have met at least 40 people who have told me the tale of the Royal Oak and how their ancestors were the one who bought it over from England. The nicest and most recent encounter was with an older gentleman in a restaurant who asked where I was from then told me his father came from Barrow-in-Furness and had I ever heard of it, turns out I lived there for 8 years and ended up having a good talk with him about his family, he keeps in touch via email now sending me photos of the antique shipwright tools his father bought over with him and I've found a few good videos of Barrow, now hes planning a visit.

My oldest son (now famous in our little town for his quips) while working as a barrista got so tired of being asked where he was from he took to telling people he was from Ohio and that his parents were awfully posh and made him speak like this. I'm sure you won't be surprised when I tell you most people believed him :\
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I can't recall a single occasion in almost 30 years where I've had a negative reaction here for being British. The closest I've come is having to correct some crazy assertions regarding the NHS at the height of the "debate" on the ACA.
Working in academic medicine the loudest complaints about the ACA I hear are from immigrant physicians who don't want to see the end of the fee-for-service model, moves towards grouping physicians into managed care organizations, or the shift from process to outcomes based reimbursement. Some feel they did not come to America to practice cost-effective medicine, but to make a bucket load of money for themselves.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 10:37 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs Sally...you beat me to it....that was exactly what I was just about to download.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs
The original LP opened into a full newspaper that included a radio guide, classified ads, crossword puzzle and assorted articles, all written by Ian Anderson.

It's funny that this album was essentially a jab at prog rock, but has since become a progressive rock classic.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
13 years later, still can't order waTer in a restaurant and apparently still having trouble being understood on the phone too.
Meet a lot of folks who claim their ancestors came over on the Mayflower which I'm now beginning to suspect was the worlds first super cruiser. Have met at least 40 people who have told me the tale of the Royal Oak and how their ancestors were the one who bought it over from England. ....
Every generation you go back your number of ancestors doubles. The Mayflower arrived almost 400 years ago, so at 25 years/generation you have 65,536 ancestors alive 400 years ago (assuming no knots in your family tree, which is unlikely). The opposite is not true, given the tendency of people in times past to have more than the 2.3 children to maintain a steady population. If the population doubled every generation, and only 50 of the pilgrims on the Mayflower left descents, that would multiply the number by a further 2x50, making 6.5 million descendants in the current generation, with likely three generations alive making (6.5+3.3+1.6) million = 11.4 million descendants alive today. That you've met several descendants isn't that surprising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.