Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:22 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Every generation you go back your number of ancestors doubles. The Mayflower arrived almost 400 years ago, so at 25 years/generation you have 65,536 ancestors alive 400 years ago (assuming no knots in your family tree, which is unlikely). The opposite is not true, given the tendency of people in times past to have more than the 2.3 children to maintain a steady population. If the population doubled every generation, and only 50 of the pilgrims on the Mayflower left descents, that would multiply the number by a further 2x50, making 6.5 million descendants in the current generation, with likely three generations alive making (6.5+3.3+1.6) million = 11.4 million descendants alive today. That you've met several descendants isn't that surprising.
But surely the vast majority of Mayflower descendants wouldn't know they had an ancestor who came over on the Mayflower? For instance, probably hundreds of thousands of British people who don't know they have American ancestry, are actually descended from someone who travelled to America on the Mayflower. For instance, I might be a Mayflower descendent but I'll never know because the records don't exist ....

Conversely, probably some who claim a Mayflower ancestor really had one, but most are deluded (mistakes in their family history research, or myths retailed from past generations.)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But surely the vast majority of Mayflower descendants wouldn't know they had an ancestor who came over on the Mayflower? For instance, probably hundreds of thousands of British people who don't know they have American ancestry, are actually descended from someone who travelled to America on the Mayflower. For instance, I might be a Mayflower descendent but I'll never know because the records don't exist ....

Conversely, probably some who claim a Mayflower ancestor really had one, but most are deluded (mistakes in their family history research, or myths retailed from past generations.)
Correct on all counts.

I suspect that many of those that claim a family connection to the Mayflower, have inherited a passed down family mythology, not tracked back their ancestry to an actual Mayflower passenger. Or they have tracked their ancestry back to a known descendant of an actual Mayflower passenger, and met somewhere in the middle.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Conversely, probably some who claim a Mayflower ancestor really had one, but most are deluded
Reminds me of some claiming and boasting around here recently...something to do with having a "Russell Group" degree.

Or maybe they meant this...
Surf the web of deceit....

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6102...e0!3e2!6m1!1e1
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:02 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Reminds me of some claiming and boasting around here recently...something to do with having a "Russell Group" degree.

Or maybe they meant this...
Surf the web of deceit....

http://surfboardsbyrussell.com/wp-co...op-816x559.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6102...e0!3e2!6m1!1e1
Russell athletic wear also markets jock straps
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Every generation you go back your number of ancestors doubles. The Mayflower arrived almost 400 years ago, so at 25 years/generation you have 65,536 ancestors alive 400 years ago (assuming no knots in your family tree, which is unlikely). The opposite is not true, given the tendency of people in times past to have more than the 2.3 children to maintain a steady population. If the population doubled every generation, and only 50 of the pilgrims on the Mayflower left descents, that would multiply the number by a further 2x50, making 6.5 million descendants in the current generation, with likely three generations alive making (6.5+3.3+1.6) million = 11.4 million descendants alive today. That you've met several descendants isn't that surprising.
The bigger problem with this reasoning is actually that lots of those 65536 ancestors are the same person. This gives a corresponding large reduction in the number of people alive with ancestors on the Mayflower.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
The bigger problem with this reasoning is actually that lots of those 65536 ancestors are the same person. This gives a corresponding large reduction in the number of people alive with ancestors on the Mayflower.
That is true too, but still the fifty plus people on the Mayflower (almost half of the original 102 died during the first winter), almost certainly have descendants numbered in millions alive today. So meeting several people who make such a claim is not surprising.

Another ship, also called the Mayflower made five further voyages in the following years, bringing people to the New World, rather confusing what it means to have "arrived on the Mayflower".

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 23rd 2014 at 12:40 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

That is true too, but still the hundred plus people on the Mayflower (my rough estimate was based on only fifty people), almost certainly have descendants numbered in millions alive today. So meeting several people who make such a claim is not surprising.
Another thing about American ancestry - folks in earlier times often had a dozen or more children, if the wife was fortunate enough to survive multiple pregnancies. Sadly, this was because the majority of children died before they became adults, so to have kids to look after them in their old age, they needed to have more than the two or three children we typically have. Also of course, because they had no reliable contraception.

But they got to the American northeast in the seventeenth century, and those that survived the bloody awful weather and the Indian and French raids, found life was actually quite benign compared to the life of a cottager in Essex. Plenty of wood to keep warm in the winter, unlimited land, sugar maples (yum), and of course, unlimited deer, turkey etc. to eat.

So many had huge families that survived to adulthood. Large numbers returned to England, others spread out across America. But those early immigrants who have descendants, probably have more descendants than the two descendants per generation that we might calculate as an average.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:10 pm

Another thing about American ancestry - folks in earlier times often had a dozen or more children, if the wife was fortunate enough to survive multiple pregnancies. Sadly, this was because the majority of children died before they became adults, so to have kids to look after them in their old age, they needed to have more than the two or three children we typically have. Also of course, because they had no reliable contraception.

But they got to the American northeast in the seventeenth century, and those that survived the bloody awful weather and the Indian and French raids, found life was actually quite benign compared to the life of a cottager in Essex. Plenty of wood to keep warm in the winter, unlimited land, sugar maples (yum), and of course, unlimited deer, turkey etc. to eat.

So many had huge families that survived to adulthood. Large numbers returned to England, others spread out across America. But those early immigrants who have descendants, probably have more descendants than the two descendants per generation that we might calculate as an average.
Agreed, and my calculation (which may have been off, because I was working the logic out in my head as I typed) was intended to reflect every generation doubling in size, which would mean, each couple having an average 4½-5 offspring reach adulthood.

Such large families were common until relatively recently, with Mrs P's grandparents each being one of 7-12 children! Mrs P's father is one of six, though interestingly, four of those six went on to have only a single child of their own.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, and my calculation (which may have been off, because I was working the logic out in my head as I typed) was intended to reflect every generation doubling in size, which would mean, each couple having an average 4½-5 offspring reach adulthood.

Such large families were common until relatively recently, with Mrs P's grandparents each being one of 7-12 children! Mrs P's father is one of six, though interestingly, four of those six went on to have only a single child of their own.
My maternal grandfather was one of 12, but yet my mom is one of 3, and I'm one of 2. Anecdotally, I'd hazard that families have definitely gotten smaller relatively quickly in the last 50 years...unless you're the Duggars.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:24 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
My maternal grandfather was one of 12, but yet my mom is one of 3, and I'm one of 2. Anecdotally, I'd hazard that families have definitely gotten smaller relatively quickly in the last 50 years...unless you're the Duggars.
Same sort of thing for me. My grandfather was 1 of 13 but my dad was 1 of 2 and I'm only 1 of 2. I do know though that each of those 13 had between 1-5 children so there's little danger of the line dying out!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

sorry ... my bad .... toungue in cheek comment taken to extremes again *sigh* theres a good reason I only have 2,000 and some posts after 12 years on this forum apparently I can't order wadder in England either. :\
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
You just know one of those kids is going to rebel and say "hell no" I'm not having endless amounts of little critters.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

True recollection of true event:
" I'm descended from someone who came over on the Mayflower"
"Who gives a shit!?"
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You just know one of those kids is going to rebel and say "hell no" I'm not having endless amounts of little critters.
Oh I know! Esp since they all lived in a 1 bathroom house from what I understand! I don't think any of my great aunts/uncles had a massive number of kids.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
sorry ... my bad .... toungue in cheek comment taken to extremes again *sigh* theres a good reason I only have 2,000 and some posts after 12 years on this forum apparently I can't order wadder in England either. :\
No fair!
You didn't use the tongue in cheek emoticon, so naturally extreme commenting ensued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.