Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How has your US move affected your kids?

How has your US move affected your kids?

Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How has your US move affected your kids?

How old were your kids when you made the move, and how do you think they have been affected, either positively or negatively?
Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How has your US move affected your kids?

Mine were 6, 4 and 2. The 6 year old struggled a bit with language and cultural issues for the first year. The other two were pretty much unaffected.

They're now 14, 12 and 10. They're at much better schools than they probably would have been at in the UK. They get to ski, go to the beach, and do a lot of stuff they wouldn't in the UK, at least not where we lived. Where we live there is less pressure for children to grow up fast, although I think that's not necessarily a country thing but more a local thing.

The main downside is that they are 3,000 miles away from most of their family.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 3:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think much has changed since you last asked the question:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...handle-816828/
Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I don't think much has changed since you last asked the question:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...handle-816828/
Huh. Weird. So no-one new has joined the forum in the last year and a half?
Old Nov 6th 2015, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Are you researching for an article? It seems a very broad-based enquiry. Both times.

If not, you'll likely get more useful, targeted answers if you explain how old your kid(s) are, and what particular concerns you worrying about - the impact on teenagers versus toddlers will be profoundly different.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 2:28 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was six months when I moved, I think she has benefited from having a father around.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
How old were your kids when you made the move, and how do you think they have been affected, either positively or negatively?
My 3 kids were 4, 3, and 10 months. I don't think much actually changed for them as they were very young and impressionable. We have a 4th child who was born in the US.

I often wonder how it would be different if they had been brought up in the UK (where we're originally from and where the 3rd child was born) or in Canada (where we used to live and where the first 2 were born). I think the sheer size of the US means that most of the news they hear is US-centric. Most American kids I know have a poor knowledge of the rest of the world in terms of history, geography, climate, current affairs, etc. I think in this regard, it would have been better for my kids to grow up in Canada or the UK. Our oldest is now at university in Canada from where she has definitely obtained a different perspective on the US as well as Canada and the rest of the world. I think that has been a very healthy experience for her.

All are now in their teens or early 20s. We have encouraged them to travel. Apart from family holidays to Europe, Mexico etc, the oldest 2 (both girls) have also travelled on their own. Both have been around Europe on the train together. One has also volunteered in Peru. The other has toured New Zealand.

My son (18) concerns me as he doesn't appear to have much desire to travel and is probably the most American (insular) of the 4. His knowledge of the rest of the world centers mainly on soccer.

The youngest girl (14) appears to want to travel when she is older and also wants to go to university outside the US.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 6th 2015 at 3:49 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Mine were 4 and 6. They have loved the experiences of moving over to the US. Sure they miss family that are still in the UK, but they have both independently said they do not want to return to the UK to live.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:44 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were 3 and 1.
They very quickly forgot about their house/family/lifestyle in England, as you might predict.

Internet and technology have made the move that much easier in terms of regularly connecting with family back in England.