Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How good is healthcare insurance for those government employees?

How good is healthcare insurance for those government employees?

Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:59 pm
Banned

jmorgnita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How good is healthcare insurance for those government employees?

I work in the UK and my British friends, most of the time, believe that Britain, with its NHS, is superior to the healthcare system in the US.

However, recently I had a chance to talk with someone who work for the federal government in the US. According to what he said, each month he pays around $150 while his organization pays for him another $900. This money not only covers himself but his wife and their children, which means his wife, a full-time employeee, pays nothing.

It seems that this deal is better than anything an average worker can hope for in the UK. For example, when his wife gave birth to a child, the hospital bill was about $15,000 but they only had to pay $200.

My friend stressed that this healthcare arrangement is only available for those who work for the federal government.

So do you think the US government employees have a better deal than people in the UK?

Thank you
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How good is healthcare insurance for those government employees?

They might... until they get laid off.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Some areas of the Government and local authorities provide excellent healthcover for their workers. Some can continue with this cover even after they retire - something which costs local taxpayers a fortune.

There have been several articles over the years discussing "gold plated' federal/government insurance coverage.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:27 pm
Banned

To SanDiegogirl, I think my friend will have the same treatment after he retires. So it is exactly like what you said.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get why the deal is 'better than anything an average worker can hope for in the UK' though. His or her healthcare would be free at the point of service and they would not lose it if laid off.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:41 pm
Banned

Dear Sally Redux, I mean the quality of healthcare and the cost as well.

1. The quality of healthcare: I enjoy NHS but don't think it is "world class" as many fans in the UK would claim. I don't know what it is like in the US, so that is why I asked the question.

2. The cost: My wife and I in the UK both have to pay the national insurance to get access to NHS.

Meanwhile, as I explained in the original post, the government employee only has to pay while his wife pays nothing and yet enjoys the same healthcare treatment, together with their children.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends. Sometimes it is great, sometimes it is shit.

MIL, who's a teacher, on a very old contract mind, so still getting half decent cover only finally got a pay rise last year that covered the rise in the premium....previous close to 10 years she'd not seen an actual money increase because of the premium hikes.

The new teachers get embarrassingly shit cover in comparison and the firefighters out there don't even get offered any more, except the one full time person.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmorgnita

1. The quality of healthcare: I enjoy NHS but don't think it is "world class" as many fans in the UK would claim. I don't know what it is like in the US, so that is why I asked the question.

2. The cost: My wife and I in the UK both have to pay the national insurance to get access to NHS.

Meanwhile, as I explained in the original post, the government employee only has to pay while his wife pays nothing and yet enjoys the same healthcare treatment, together with their children.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that. Is this an academic discussion, or are you able to get a job with the US Federal Government?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:50 pm
Banned

This is just an academic discussion, as I would like to have more information and advice.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The quality in the US is no different to the UK. It can be world class, it can be shit, all depends on where you live....and what your provider is willing to allow you access to.

As for the NHS, it comes from general taxation for the most part, so whenever someone buys shit, they contribute. That's a shit load cheaper than what most people spend in the US. NIC's most go to other benefits and pensions these days, not the NHS.

Anyway, speak to your mate when the kids age out and if they pick up something like diabetes or asthma in the meantime. As it stands, without a jobs group coverage, that would make them uninsurable and without Obamacare being kept, would see them punted from their parents cover at 21.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very grateful for the fantastic insurance I get as a Massachusetts state worker and I have access to some of the in the world's best hospitals like Mass General. My single person premium is $50/month. There is no deductible, but I pay $15 for each doctor visit, $100 for the first diagnostic test and $250 if I get admitted to hospital. Last year I had some outpatient surgery and the cost was $115. I also have excellent dental insurance that costs $12/month and recently had a root canal. The bill was $1400 and was completely covered by my insurance.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:52 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best feelings on earth is the peace of mind that the NHS (for all its well whined about faults) offers.

Think about it

You get laid off over here and you're screwed. Not many people can afford COBRA. Health insurance companies are snakes (pun intended).
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is just an academic discussion, as I would like to have more information and advice.
Personally, the last thing I would move to the US for is the healthcare.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:54 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'm very grateful for the fantastic insurance I get as a Massachusetts state worker and I have access to some of the in the world's best hospitals like Mass General. My single person premium is $50/month. There is no deductible, but I pay $15 for each doctor visit, $100 for the first diagnostic test and $250 if I get admitted to hospital. Last year I had some outpatient surgery and the cost was $115. I also have excellent dental insurance that costs $12/month and recently had a root canal. The bill was $1400 and was completely covered by my insurance.
You are very lucky and MA is a very progressive state with the right attitude.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
One of the best feelings on earth is the peace of mind that the NHS (for all its well whined about faults) offers.

Think about it

You get laid off over here and you're screwed. Not many people can afford COBRA. Health insurance companies are snakes.
It's whined about but it actually is world class and what's more you never have to think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.