Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to go about it!!

Wikiposts

How to go about it!!

Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice
Default How to go about it!!

This is very likely a daft question, but I feel that I am going to ask it anyway

Is there a "best way" to try and get out to the US? What I mean is, how do US companies/employer's generally respond to job applications from people in the UK?? Is it best to "Americanise" your CV and start applying for jobs and see if one bites? Is it really that simple to basically just apply for jobs as you see them and see what happens?

My parents recently moved out to Houston for my dad's job in the oil & gas industry and I am just back from a two week holiday there and absolutely loved it!! I'm heading back out there again for another two weeks or so in July and really feel this is where I would like to end up.

I also happen to be a Canadian citizen, so any applications that I make I will be pushing my Canadian passport under their noses to try and take advantage of NAFTA. I'm hoping that may give me a slight edge, if not a substantial one.

Can anyone offer any advice at all? It would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to go about it!!

First questions, what is your level of education,How old are you, and are you married?

Some basic information will help us to advise what visa(s) you would have options in apply/being sponsored for.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice

Originally Posted by civilservant
First questions, what is your level of education,How old are you, and are you married?

Some basic information will help us to advise what visa(s) you would have options in apply/being sponsored for.
I have a 2:1 Honors Degree in Computer Network Management & Design, and have 6 years real world experience working in IT. I am 28 years old, and thankfully single. No ball and chain!!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Is it your families intention to remain in the US long term and eventually to become US Citizens? Are they being sponsored for Green Cards?

In terms of looking for work, having a degree means you would eligible for an H1B if you were able to find an employer who would sponsor you for the visa. Sites such a LinkedIn are very good for networking - and thats what its all about in the US, who you know.

You can visit on the VWP and look for work, although you are clearly at a disadvantage because you do not have permission to live and work in the US. In order to interest an employer, you need to think about what vital skills you can bring to a job that are unique and that cannot be provided by an out of work network engineer in the US, that could start tomorrow, and not cost them $$$ in visa fees.

You might also want to consider a UK employer that could potentially transfer you in the future.

Im sure others will be along when the US wakes up with more specific ideas
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Is it your families intention to remain in the US long term and eventually to become US Citizens? Are they being sponsored for Green Cards?

In terms of looking for work, having a degree means you would eligible for an H1B if you were able to find an employer who would sponsor you for the visa. Sites such a LinkedIn are very good for networking - and thats what its all about in the US, who you know.

You can visit on the VWP and look for work, although you are clearly at a disadvantage because you do not have permission to live and work in the US. In order to interest an employer, you need to think about what vital skills you can bring to a job that are unique and that cannot be provided by an out of work network engineer in the US, that could start tomorrow, and not cost them $$$ in visa fees.

You might also want to consider a UK employer that could potentially transfer you in the future.

Im sure others will be along when the US wakes up with more specific ideas
Well it certainly is an option for my parents to stay long term. His company have said that they want to sponsor him for a Green Card application so that he can stay in the US on a perm basis, it seems now that they have him, they want to keep him. My dad at last conversation had said he can't think of a real reason NOT to go for a Green Card.

At least from what I know from US Immigration Laws, family members of a Green Card holder are allowed to apply for their own Green Card to maintain the "unity of the family" I think it said on the website I read.

There is also the possibilty of some contacts my dad has in Houston maybe being able to help, but I guess it all depends on what happens really.

My main concern from my own personal view would be how US Employers generally react to overseas applications. Judging from people's posts on here, people certainly do apply and make successfull moves over to the US after getting job offers, so at least it happens!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hiring practices vary a little between industries, but in many cases, including my own, it is (was) just about impossible to get any interest until I was actually in the US. My wife is a USC, so that took care of my visa, but I booked a week's holiday in New York and only then was a recruiter able to set up some interviews. Networking and LinkedIn can certainly help, especially l, I hear, in the IT domain, but nothing beats being "on the ground".

I'm not sure that your parents can sponsor you until at least one becomes a USC. The time delay for parents sponsoring adult children, is, I think, several years. I don't know a whole lot about Canadian passports and working in the US under NAFTA, but that is probably your best shot, .... short of marrying an American.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Eligible for the TN visa too though, if he finds a eligible type of job. That's something you get at the border.

Not as flexible as other visas though, well it makes long term planning more challenging.

To the OP, you don't want to rely on your parents getting you a greencard off the backs of theirs, you're looking at 10 years back log potentially or there abouts.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:15 am
Often not so civil...

I dont know anything about TN visas, so didnt mention it as I knew someone else would
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
At least from what I know from US Immigration Laws, family members of a Green Card holder are allowed to apply for their own Green Card to maintain the "unity of the family" I think it said on the website I read.
To clarify, certain green card holders can sponsor family members for immigrant visas (you don't get a green card until the day you enter the US with the immigrant visa). Once your parents become permanent residents (= green card), they can sponsor you. After about 8-9 years, you will get an immigrant visa (because you are over 21). Be aware that if you marry, you are no longer eligible for an immigrant visa if your parents are still PRs. To be eligible after you marry, they must first be US citizens.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:49 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The web site you need to read is the Visa Bulletin. F2B preference category for you, those who are presently eligible to apply for immigrant visas have been waiting for 8 years.

At 28 years of age, and being of sound mind and body, you shouldn't really need to be united with your parents.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Nelson1805
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know anything about TN visas, so didnt mention it as I knew someone else would
With a TN-1 visa, employers are more likely to hire someone than someone that needs an H-1B visa since the prospective employee can quickly bring the documentation to the border and get the visa approved immediately and there isn't a quota.

Although the TN-1 visa is not dual intent and requires renewal every year, the person is then working in the US and can look for H-1B jobs which are dual intent or possibly even have the current employer apply for a H-1B visa for the employee.

The TN-1 visa allows the employer to hire the employee to start working immediately.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

Although the TN-1 visa is not dual intent and requires renewal every year...
Apparently this has been changed to every 2 years now.