British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How to get a US job without a visa (if you don't get seasick) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-get-us-job-without-visa-if-you-dont-get-seasick-760787/)

BellaE Jun 6th 2012 1:19 am

How to get a US job without a visa (if you don't get seasick)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18327493

If you take your start-up out to sea, that does make you captain of your own fate...if not the ship.

Sally Redux Jun 6th 2012 1:29 am

Re: How to get a US job without a visa (if you don't get seasick)

The lawyer seems to think it's legal but I wonder what the status of the 'entreprenoors' would be when attending meetings.

Bink Jun 7th 2012 11:14 am

I don't get how it overcomes the real issue, which is if they want to land in the US, they still have to go through immigration... They can't just sit 12 miles offshore and then come and go as they please without going through immigration.

Sally Redux Jun 7th 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10105439)
I don't get how it overcomes the real issue, which is if they want to land in the US, they still have to go through immigration... They can't just sit 12 miles offshore and then come and go as they please without going through immigration.

Looks more like they are just going to take money off gullible people. How could your family live full-time on a ship moored in international waters as well.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 8th 2012 3:18 am

This is a repeat of a story from a year ago.

Then they were talking about the 'entrepreneurs' living on land and commuting to work on the boat.

The Visa issue was never answered.

kimilseung Jun 8th 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10105882)
Looks more like they are just going to take money off gullible people. How could your family live full-time on a ship moored in international waters as well.

I think they are still trying to raise money to buy and fit out the ship, could that many investors be that gullible to not check the legalities out?

My assumption would be that immigration would just take a completely different view to the same actions, ESTA might be one thing when you are in the UK. but I can see new regulations when it is applied for from a ship using an American IP address. It would be interesting to know what knowledgeable people are saying.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 9th 2012 2:30 am

Why would they need new regulations, there must be Canadian and Mexican businesses close to the US Mainland.

Steve_ Jun 14th 2012 7:00 pm

Mr Mutabdzija says the idea for the vessel was conceived because of the difficulty entrepreneurs face when trying to obtain B-1 US business visitor visas.
So it's actually aimed at people who don't qualify for the VWP and can't get a visitor's visa either. So people who can't get into the US at all.

Like I said in the other thread, I've heard it all before, Microsoft was going to open up some campus in Victoria and put some of their staff there, all I can say is, Google the Microsoft offices in Victoria and look at them on Streetview.

Impressive.

Although it does appear they may be having another stab at it.

Steve_ Jun 14th 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10108843)
Why would they need new regulations, there must be Canadian and Mexican businesses close to the US Mainland.

Or if you've got to get them (the supposed investment capitalists) on a boat, can't you get them on a plane? Or Skype?

Because I hear investment capitalists in technology are really averse to using technology, so the best idea is clearly to put them on a boat 12 miles off-shore with a shaky internet connection.