Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to get dual citizenship?

Wikiposts

How to get dual citizenship?

Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:05 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice
Default How to get dual citizenship?

Hi all,

I moved to Pittsburgh PA on the K1 fiancee visa in December of last year and just received my conditional permanent residency green card about three weeks ago.
I am eventually hoping to get dual British/American citizenship and my husband is also interested in doing the same through me at in case we decide to go back to Britain at some point. I have looked on the uscis website and cannot find anything on how to actually go about getting dual citizenship and what is involved, what I have seen is very vague.

Has anybody had any experience with this? I don't want to go for total American citizenship because I don't want to renounce my country and all of that stuff. I am British and I always will be but having dual citizenship might make things easier for me in the long run.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get dual citizenship?

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
I don't want to go for total American citizenship
100% or nothing.

but they cannot take your British passport away.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:19 am
Banned

Nia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really niceNia_Nia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
100% or nothing.

but they cannot take your British passport away.
Arse! Oh well, I suppose I'll have to make a decision either way then won't I?

Do you have citizenship? What are the benefits of becoming a citizen rather than just staying legal permanent resident?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:19 am
Winterwords

For your husband regarding UK citizenship:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/dual.htm

Though I do believe you may have to reside in the UK for 3 years to apply for this or have to have been married for over three years. I beileve he can contact the British Embassy in Washington D.C for information on how to apply. Apparently the application process can be pretty fast (3-4 months).

You could try this email for info: [email protected]

Whatever you do, do not denounce your country or lose your citizenship (this applies for your husband as well).

Edit: And if you have kids, try to have them in the UK, that way they can claim dual nat as well through their father. Otherwise America will force them to chose when they hit 16 if they want to be British Citizens or American .

Last edited by Winterwords; Oct 4th 2005 at 6:26 am.

Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

There are no real issues for most folks.

Nice FAQ here: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Pro's...can sponsor family to come over, can't get deported, and also be rid of USCIS forever...

Con's...jury duty, have to file world wide income even if you head off to another country...another passport which inevitably will have another horrid photo

Those are just some...but either way, wouldn't lose citizenship although you say you renounce, the UK doesn't pay attention to US law.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:57 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Pro's...can sponsor family to come over, can't get deported, and also be rid of USCIS forever...

Con's...jury duty, have to file world wide income even if you head off to another country...another passport which inevitably will have another horrid photo

Those are just some...but either way, wouldn't lose citizenship although you say you renounce, the UK doesn't pay attention to US law.

Don't forget voting privelidges!!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:58 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Arse! Oh well, I suppose I'll have to make a decision either way then won't I?

Do you have citizenship? What are the benefits of becoming a citizen rather than just staying legal permanent resident?

Thanks!
As I understand it from the nice lady (for once) at my AOS interview, who told me it would be in my best interests to become a citizen as this prevents 'them' from throwing me out further down the road, if anything should happen (she was a bit vague about the anything part)

I could be wrong but I believe you cannot renounce UK citizenship unless you go up before a judge in the UK and legally renounce it, which would be a bit silly really, so that one is a grey area, in effect you end up with dual citizenship by default.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am eventually hoping to get dual British/American citizenship and my husband is also interested in doing the same through me at in case we decide to go back to Britain at some point. I have looked on the uscis website and cannot find anything on how to actually go about getting dual citizenship and what is involved, what I have seen is very vague.
It's not advertised as "dual" citizenship: http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

Start with Rich Wales' page (the link in FatBrit's post) and move on to the Guide to Naturalization. You may apply on the basis of marriage to a USC after 3 years, minus 90 days, from the "Resident Since" date on your PR card.

Your USC will have to have 3 years of permanent residency in the UK before he is eligible to apply for UKC.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:05 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I could be wrong but I believe you cannot renounce UK citizenship unless you go up before a judge in the UK and legally renounce it,
and even if you do, you can ask for it back.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:10 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Oath of Allegiance

To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:
  • support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S.;
  • renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and
  • bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.
I still don't get it
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:11 am
@matthewb76

Oath of Allegiance

To become a citizen, one must take the oath of allegiance. By doing so, an applicant swears to:
  • support the Constitution and obey the laws of the U.S.;
  • renounce any foreign allegiance and/or foreign title; and
  • bear arms for the Armed Forces of the U.S. or perform services for the government of the U.S. when required.
I still don't get it
don't get what?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Manc
don't get what?
How you can renounce foreign allegiance and here I presume they mean citizenship, when you can't actually do it. It just seems odd.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:19 am
@matthewb76

How you can renounce foreign allegiance and here I presume they mean citizenship, when you can't actually do it. It just seems odd.
they can make you say what they like............... but in theory, your passport doesn't belong to you, it belongs to the foreign office, and even if the yanks did take it off you, you could just apply for a new one.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterwords
Edit: And if you have kids, try to have them in the UK, that way they can claim dual nat as well through their father. Otherwise America will force them to chose when they hit 16 if they want to be British Citizens or American .
That is not true.

My daughter was born in the US and therefore a US citizen (with US birth cert and passport) however she can become a UK citizen by right of birth... as far as I know she will not be 'forced' to decide anything.

Ash

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Oct 4th 2005 at 8:07 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.