Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to?-fry chicken & make milk gravy.

How to?-fry chicken & make milk gravy.

Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to?-fry chicken & make milk gravy.

Hi I've just been reading a Guardian article about southern fried chicken & gravy (drooling), then I've scoured recipes on t'internet and am now keen on trying to do this.
I'd really welcome any advice from southern cooks rather than blindly follow a published recipe.
and the gravy?? I'm from the UK and what we call gravy is made with water/stock so rather bemused about something called gravy made with milk.
I've come to this late in life I know-but it's time to do it.
Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to?-fry chicken & make milk gravy.

Sorry but the thick white gravy they serve here just isn't right.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry but the thick white gravy they serve here just isn't right.
I suspected as much-where's the oxo cubes?

Has anyone got a photo of Southern gravy because it may help stem my aspirations? The chicken however is still a goer.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conniewalker
I suspected as much-where's the oxo cubes?

Has anyone got a photo of Southern gravy because it may help stem my aspirations? The chicken however is still a goer.
Have you tried Googling for pics of white gravy?

I tried to post a link but having trouble posting it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 16th 2013 at 1:48 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I've just been reading a Guardian article about southern fried chicken & gravy (drooling), then I've scoured recipes on t'internet and am now keen on trying to do this.
I'd really welcome any advice from southern cooks rather than blindly follow a published recipe.
and the gravy?? I'm from the UK and what we call gravy is made with water/stock so rather bemused about something called gravy made with milk.
I've come to this late in life I know-but it's time to do it.
Thanks
White Gravy is just not right

http://cbsop.com/recipes/restaurant-...n-white-gravy/
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:03 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the South most of my life. The way to have perfect Southern fried chicken and gravy is to first get some really good beer, and pour a couple cans into each diner, then find a hole-in-the-wall soul food restaurant and get the large black grandmother in the kitchen to make it for you. Foolproof and delicious.

If you get to the restaurant in the morning, Miz Deborah will also make you buttermilk biscuits, using nothing but soft white self-rising flour, buttermilk, and lard, and mixed together with her hands, that will make you want to live in the shed out back of the restaurant.

OK, milk gravy is not attractive. It's just white sauce with black pepper, made on a base of an unbrowned flour-dripping roux; the dripping for fried chicken is basically what's left in the pan after you pour out the excess frying oil and the brown bits on the bottom are part of the gravy. If you have fried loose pork sausage meat and you mix it back into the gravy, it's sausage gravy to have over biscuits; if you have fried ham, the red-brown particles make "red-eye gravy" with coffee in place of the milk (yeah I know) and you serve it over the ham and biscuits.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rUe8eYjnGI...g/s400/018.JPG

Last edited by Speedwell; Nov 16th 2013 at 2:12 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Well that looks very unappealing so I shan't bother. Thanks for all your help and saving me a lot of time and effort. Guessing it's basically a white sauce-not gravy as we know it (Mr Spock).
I shall focus my efforts on the fried chicken-to dip in milk or not?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I've lived in the South most of my life. The way to have perfect Southern fried chicken and gravy is to first get some really good beer, and pour a couple cans into each diner, then find a hole-in-the-wall soul food restaurant and get the large black grandmother in the kitchen to make it for you. Foolproof and delicious.

If you get to the restaurant in the morning, Miz Deborah will also make you buttermilk biscuits, using nothing but soft white self-rising flour, buttermilk, and lard, and mixed together with her hands, that will make you want to live in the shed out back of the restaurant.

OK, milk gravy is not attractive. It's just white sauce with black pepper, made on a base of an unbrowned flour-dripping roux; the dripping for fried chicken is basically what's left in the pan after you pour out the excess frying oil and the brown bits on the bottom are part of the gravy. If you have fried loose pork sausage meat and you mix it back into the gravy, it's sausage gravy to have over biscuits; if you have fried ham, the red-brown particles make "red-eye gravy" with coffee in place of the milk (yeah I know) and you serve it over the ham and biscuits.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rUe8eYjnGI...g/s400/018.JPG
Crikey Moses-coffee gravy/sauce! and biscuits sound like scones(to Brits).
Scones should be served with home made strawberry jam and clotted cream.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well that looks very unappealing so I shan't bother. Thanks for all your help and saving me a lot of time and effort. ....
I'm sorry you don't find it visually appealing, because it actually is very good. A good southern gravy is seasoned with salt, and best with sausage meat crumbles in it ("sausage gravy"), and is very good on fried chicken or "chicken fried" steak! There is also a "brown gravy", which is more meaty, but still a lot thicker than British style gravy.
Crikey Moses-coffee gravy/sauce! and biscuits sound like scones(to Brits).
Scones should be served with home made strawberry jam and clotted cream.
Scones and "biscuits" are visually identical, but a biscuit is slightly lighter and flaky, whereas a scone is slightly heavier and crumbly. Biscuits are often used as a sandwich, but are not spread with butter or margarine, and are therefore horribly dry IMHO. I have learned to avoid "ham biscuits" at family picnics and church or work "pot luck" (bring and share) meals.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 16th 2013 at 2:39 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry you don't find it visually appealing, because it actually is very good. A good southern gravy is seasoned with salt, and best with sausage meat crumbles in it ("sausage gravy"), and is very good on fried chicken or "chicken fried" steak! There is also a "brown gravy", which is more meaty, but still a lot thicker than British style gravy.
It is good!

The nice thing about "white" gravy is you can make it as bland or spicy as you want. I don't eat it or make it very often because it's too, too fattening, but I like it on occasion. And I've made it and added chicken stock to it as well.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Nov 16th 2013 at 2:43 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes this. Gravy is so much more than white sauce. It cant be dismissed by saying it looks unappealing. I like mine quite peppery. Also biscuits are not scones.

I'm guessing you don't have a Popeyes in Abruzzo?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Also biscuits are not scones.
Agreed, scones are nothing like Biscuits. I don't think there is a Brit equivalent? While we are on the subject of southern food, how about Scrapple?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Why did I click on this?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Why did I click on this?
Indeed, why are you here?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yes this. Gravy is so much more than white sauce. It cant be dismissed by saying it looks unappealing. I like mine quite peppery. Also biscuits are not scones.

I'm guessing you don't have a Popeyes in Abruzzo?
LOL No but we do have lots of wonderful olio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.