Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How find work in New York

How find work in New York

Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:11 pm
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about
Default How find work in New York

Hi

It would be helpful if someone can give me some insight into how to go about finding work in New York city. I worked in NYC many years ago as a student, and I want to return back.

I am a MBA graduate, with 10 years of Commerical Business Analyst experience.

Im aware of the apparent facts that the economy is in recession etc. If someone can advise other than the apparent it would be really helpful, perhaps just to test the waters.

I have the following question in mind :

How do you find companies which are experiencing professional skill shortages ? in NYC

How do you find information which instructs which skill shortages are being experienced in NYC ?

cheers
MB
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How find work in New York

OK I'll do it.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Aug 8th 2009, 11:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, visa is the issue....and sound of things your looking to get in with a bank type of financial service? You've got to find a place that is rock solid and not taken any government help lately or they won't be able to get you a visa.

Anyway, best way of finding a job is networking, so if your on linkedin, make more contacts, join trade groups that sort of thing.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, visa is the issue....and sound of things your looking to get in with a bank type of financial service? You've got to find a place that is rock solid and not taken any government help lately or they won't be able to get you a visa.

.. sorry - just having a little trouble with the concept of a "rock solid" US financial institution ...
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:42 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not taken any government help lately
My favourite part lol
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Koolio
How do you find companies which are experiencing professional skill shortages ? in NYC

How do you find information which instructs which skill shortages are being experienced in NYC ?
You get in a time machine and travel back to 2003. Honestly you need to have contacts. There's no demand for MBA analysts in NYC and way too much supply, an application from the smallest smallest firm still gets hundreds of highly qualified, suitable applications.

It's an admirable goal and I wish you the best with it but you need to have contacts who recognise your suitability. Cold calling/sending in applications to strangers in HR will not result in a job offer in the current climate. You talk about the recession bla bla bla like it's some abstract concept not experienced by you and the companies you're applying to. It's not, it's very real, just look at the glut in H1 visas this year.

There's no secret workaround which you'll find on a message board. So, like everyone said, network network network and in the meantime don't quit your job in the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

The financial sector is picking up. Didn't Goldman Sachs recently announce huge profits? Some companies are doing well simply because of the recession (budget chains, restaurants, etc). Also, there are still public sector jobs available. Administrators are always needed.

But as a general rule of thumb, you will only get work by business contacts or word of mouth. Currently, there are hundreds of applicants for each advertised job.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Some companies are doing well simply because of the recession (budget chains, restaurants, etc).
Not sure I can agree with this statement...loads of restaurants here have closed down, mostly due to people saving their money and cooking their own meals at home. I have a friend that got laid off from Red Lobster and can't find a job anywhere in the restaurants here.

She also told me that lots of wait staff she knows are looking for other jobs (2nd ones) because they can't live on the pay (before tips) and they are not serving enough customers to make good tips anymore.

I guess this could be different, depending on the area though
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Not sure I can agree with this statement...loads of restaurants here have closed down, mostly due to people saving their money and cooking their own meals at home. I have a friend that got laid off from Red Lobster and can't find a job anywhere in the restaurants here.

She also told me that lots of wait staff she knows are looking for other jobs (2nd ones) because they can't live on the pay (before tips) and they are not serving enough customers to make good tips anymore.

I guess this could be different, depending on the area though
It's been widely reported that McD's are doing well. When people can't afford to spend much money on food they turn to the cheap fast food chains. Don't know why...I'd rather have a cheese sandwich than a McD's meal.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
The financial sector is picking up. Didn't Goldman Sachs recently announce huge profits? Some companies are doing well simply because of the recession (budget chains, restaurants, etc).
Regardless of how well McDonalds and budget chains are doing, someone with 10 years analyst experience and an MBA does not want to flip burger patties.

The financial sector may be picking up (slightly) but the competition for those jobs is beyond insane, Goldman Sachs especially. That's true across the board, - we might be seeing a slight, slow recovery but the unemployment rate is through the roof. So instead of 1000 applicants for 3 jobs, it's 1000 applicants for 4 jobs. Not great odds either way.

Don't mean to crap you negative but them's the breaks.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agentred
Regardless of how well McDonalds and budget chains are doing, someone with 10 years analyst experience and an MBA does not want to flip burger patties.
Some former execs are actually doing this or similar. My local Starbucks is like a job club. Fully suited businessmen show up each morning and spend all day sending applications and "networking".

(And yes, I'd rather have a cheese sarnie than a Big Mac too. As long as it had Branston in it)
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to say that right now the only way to get a job in NYC would be to knock out your front teeth. Friends and family out there either have very high powered jobs or stumbled on some by luck.

I'd like to work out there as well at some point, but am well aware that patience is necessary right now.