Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to file Bankruptcy from abroad?

Wikiposts

How to file Bankruptcy from abroad?

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:53 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to file Bankruptcy from abroad?

Originally Posted by fubar
rincewind....is firstdirect available to overseas people or did you set it up using a UK address etc..

I need to consolidate if possible...

thanks

fubar
I originally set it up while I was in the UK. But now they have my US address and are happy to carry it on now that I am here.

I'm not sure about setting it up while you are out of the country. Do you have a relative in the UK that you could use as an address and have them forward you the details?

You may be better off speaking to First Direct to make sure what you do is permitted. Their international number is 44-113-2345678
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

cheers for that - I'll give it a try...
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by axis
Thank you all so much for the help, it's really appreciated. Unfortunately I think a loan is out of the question, since I can't afford to even make a minimum payment on that even. Doesn't help so much that the exchange rate is 1.8/1.9 these days either

Consolidating it all into one payment would end up at least $1000 a month, can't do that. I've been thinking about this a lot, and I think bankruptcy is the only way out, but gladly, not the end of the world.

Thanks again!
Did you end up doing this?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Before filing bankruptcy, I would check every last resort first.

Do you have a bank account in the UK? Can you ask for a loan?

I have CC debts as well and I got a loan through First Direct to consolidate my card debt and pay only one payment. Worked fine until I had to use the cards again to pay my bills until I found job.

I know exactly what you are going through.

But try a loan first. If you can't get a loan, try adding all your debts to one card. One payment makes it much easier and most cards will give you a 6 month low interest when you transfer a balance. Mine did.

Good luck, I know how mentally exhausting this can be and I hope you find a way to solve the problem.

It's good to hear that some members on this forum still have a conscience and decide not to just walk away from their responsibilities.
Do people actually try and get away with not paying off their debts ?? Surely they can be found and made to pay ? what happens if they go back to the uk on holiday they must be able to catch them then. Nice people like that make things more expensive for the others who still have credit cards etc.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:14 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Do people actually try and get away with not paying off their debts ??
Some do and have stated openly in this discussion forum (other threads).

For me, it's beyond belief. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Hell, trying to sleep at night while I calculate the length of time to pay off my debt is bad enough. But to just ignore it would kill me.

Besides, I like the thought of being able to move back to the UK at anytime without fear of prosecution.

Things have a nasty habit of catching up with you eventually so it's not worth the risk.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:10 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Do people actually try and get away with not paying off their debts ?? Surely they can be found and made to pay ? what happens if they go back to the uk on holiday they must be able to catch them then. Nice people like that make things more expensive for the others who still have credit cards etc.
One of my friends who is moving here, has 20 k gbp from his house sale and 10 k credit card debt

needless to say he is leaving the credit card debt behind
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:20 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
One of my friends who is moving here, has 20 k gbp from his house sale and 10 k credit card debt

And we wonder why our leaders are irresponsible?!??
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:38 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And we wonder why our leaders are irresponsible?!??
Monkey see, monkey do
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Monkey see, monkey do
He is a monkey alright, more like

see no problems, hear no problems, speak no problems.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:09 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Never having been in this position I don't know for definate but surely this would eventually catch up with them (and if it doesn't, it should!). I don't know how or where but like someone already said, if you ever attemted to move back to Britain and resume your life you would be screwed!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

needless to say? I find that irresponsible and really pretty stupid - these things come back round and if your friend ever plans to go home then its not good - burning bridges is never something i advise!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone who's been in a bad situation like this can comment... all others are grandstanding.

I didn't file because I wanted to... my wife was seriously ill for 6months during which time I was made redundant, just as we were getting back on our feet (after a consolidation loan) I was made redundant AGAIN, spent 13 weeks looking for a job in the UK before moving out here and I then spent a while working out deals with creditors but in the end they all wanted more than I could provide and wouldn't budge.

I didn't move out here and NOT tell anyone, each and every creditor I have knows the situation and understand the predicament but has rules to follow.

I followed the rules of the court in filing, they will now follow their insurance rules and get paid their money back..

mistakes were made yes but to claim you know anything about this without actually being fully apraised is arrogant at best.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:51 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by USBound
mistakes were made yes but to claim you know anything about this without actually being fully apraised is arrogant at best.
I did not make a statement regarding your case.

I know all too well about being very poor and I have seen that in some circumstances like high medical bills I would not be solvent. My sympathies to you and your wife.

However, if someone makes a profit of 20K GBP and leaves behind a 10K GBP debt, with no other debts, I think that is wrong.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
I think anyone who's been in a bad situation like this can comment... all others are grandstanding.

I didn't file because I wanted to... my wife was seriously ill for 6months during which time I was made redundant, just as we were getting back on our feet (after a consolidation loan) I was made redundant AGAIN, spent 13 weeks looking for a job in the UK before moving out here and I then spent a while working out deals with creditors but in the end they all wanted more than I could provide and wouldn't budge.

I didn't move out here and NOT tell anyone, each and every creditor I have knows the situation and understand the predicament but has rules to follow.

I followed the rules of the court in filing, they will now follow their insurance rules and get paid their money back..

Not sure who you are replying to with this post? I certainly never accused you of anything - my comments were that people who walk away from debt in the UK are irresponsible and will probably regret it in the long run. You seem to have done the sensible thing and i would not critise you for it. I do take exception with comments on earlier post that "...needless to say they are leaving the CC debt" - i had cc debt in the UK and still paid it - so there is no needless to say about it.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I was replying to the masses not to anyone specific and while no one specifically mentioned me the implication is always there.

thanks

andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.