British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How dog friendly is Long Island? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-dog-friendly-long-island-903679/)

Loadsoflaundry Sep 22nd 2017 11:21 am

How dog friendly is Long Island?

Hiya, my husband has been offered a job (Long Island), thrown my world into a spin, until the negotiations are all done I'm occupying myself with how the move will affect me (very selfish I know).

I don't work and will be bringing my dog over with us, I've learnt so much from this site already (lurking and reading) ... thank you ever so much the info from here has really put my mind at rest ... now I need help finding out how dog friendly (or even mildly welcoming) places are or where to avoid, so I can feel more confident that this could be good for us.

Any extra information about living on LI and nice areas would be a bonus.

Nutmegger Sep 22nd 2017 1:53 pm

Re: How dog friendly is Long Island?

Originally Posted by Loadsoflaundry (Post 12343913)
Hiya, my husband has been offered a job (Long Island), thrown my world into a spin, until the negotiations are all done I'm occupying myself with how the move will affect me (very selfish I know).

I don't work and will be bringing my dog over with us, I've learnt so much from this site already (lurking and reading) ... thank you ever so much the info from here has really put my mind at rest ... now I need help finding out how dog friendly (or even mildly welcoming) places are or where to avoid, so I can feel more confident that this could be good for us.

Any extra information about living on LI and nice areas would be a bonus.

Welcome to BE! Long Island is a very big area, so you need to be more specific about where you are headed to. Much of it is very suburban and families will have dogs, but be aware that people don't take their pets into public places the way they do in the UK, and that dogs will be expected to be leashed on walking trails, etc. Many towns have dog parks, where your pet can exercise and make canine friends. You will need to ensure that your dog is up to date on rabies shots, and besides the usual DHLP and heartworm and flea and tick protection, get shots for Lyme Disease.

Loadsoflaundry Sep 22nd 2017 3:20 pm

Thank you for replying and the welcome.
The job is based in Garden City. Although we don't want to live right next to work. One of the main reasons we are interested in this job is the opportunity it gives us to experience/explore a different country by living there. It's initially 2 years but they have hinted they want him to be a PR but we can't realistically agree to that before we see if we like it or not.

Are there restrictions stopping dogs going to public spaces? I'm talking about breaking up a dogwalk with a coffee, which is something we do here, not bothered about taking him to restaurants. I spend a lot of time on my own as my husband works long hours so the dog is a big part of my life and going out and about with him to explore is important.

Keeping him on a lead is fine. Dog parks sound my idea of hell I suppose it depends how big and how busy they are. Where we live now we have fabulous walks around us so I was hoping for the same or better.

What's DHLP? He's up to date on rabies until 2018 and he gets his annual boosters to keep him passport valid, do treat for ticks and fleas, not sure about heart worm. Do I get the Lyme disease shot here before leaving?

Nutmegger Sep 22nd 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Loadsoflaundry (Post 12344105)
Thank you for replying and the welcome.
The job is based in Garden City. Although we don't want to live right next to work. One of the main reasons we are interested in this job is the opportunity it gives us to experience/explore a different country by living there. It's initially 2 years but they have hinted they want him to be a PR but we can't realistically agree to that before we see if we like it or not.

Are there restrictions stopping dogs going to public spaces? I'm talking about breaking up a dogwalk with a coffee, which is something we do here, not bothered about taking him to restaurants. I spend a lot of time on my own as my husband works long hours so the dog is a big part of my life and going out and about with him to explore is important.

Keeping him on a lead is fine. Dog parks sound my idea of hell I suppose it depends how big and how busy they are. Where we live now we have fabulous walks around us so I was hoping for the same or better.

What's DHLP? He's up to date on rabies until 2018 and he gets his annual boosters to keep him passport valid, do treat for ticks and fleas, not sure about heart worm. Do I get the Lyme disease shot here before leaving?

DHLP stands for distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, and parvovirus -- though other things seem to keep getting added in and out! I don't know if the Lyme shot is offered in the UK, but if it is, I would certainly have my dog already protected before arriving; otherwise, you can get it here. Different states sometimes require different kinds of rabies shots -- you should check if New York State has a specific requirement so you can ensure your pet has the right kind. And heartworm is usually prevented with a monthly chew medication -- if your dog isn't on it, he will need a blood test before starting treatment as the meds can't be taken if the dog already has heartworm.

Dogs are not allowed in shops, restaurants and cafes -- if there is somewhere with outdoor tables in your area, you could probably sit outside with your pet, but not otherwise. As I mentioned, people just don't take their dogs for a walk down main street the way they do in the UK!

FinnDiego Sep 22nd 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12344125)
Dogs are not allowed in shops, restaurants and cafes -- if there is somewhere with outdoor tables in your area, you could probably sit outside with your pet, but not otherwise. As I mentioned, people just don't take their dogs for a walk down main street the way they do in the UK!

Note that this is pretty regional. There are dogs absolutely everywhere in SoCal - cafes/patios, breweries, leashed outside grocery stores, etc. They aren't allowed inside in restaurants that serve food, but many have dog-friendly patios and coffee shops seem to be a bit borderline.

Nutmegger Sep 22nd 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by FinnDiego (Post 12344187)
Note that this is pretty regional. There are dogs absolutely everywhere in SoCal - cafes/patios, breweries, leashed outside grocery stores, etc. They aren't allowed inside in restaurants that serve food, but many have dog-friendly patios and coffee shops seem to be a bit borderline.

New York’s laws banning animals from patios and courtyards at bars/eating places were repealed a couple of years ago, but I don’t know how many people take advantage of that. However, SoCal obviously has a far different outdoor scene from NY. For instance, I see pics of dogs on the beach in CA, but that is only permitted in NY outside of the summer high season.

kateinbrooklyn Sep 22nd 2017 6:07 pm

I live in Brooklyn and don't have a dog, but I have plenty of friends who do and there are tons in our neighborhood. Honestly, I don't know how people live in such small apartments with large dogs, but they do. Dogs are kept on leashes here and they are not allowed inside coffee shops or restaurants so people tend to leave them tied up outside for short periods.

Our neighbourhood has also seen standalone dog houses sprout up on the streets, where you put money in and you store your dog while you go shopping. Rentable dog houses now available in Brooklyn | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

We have one on the next block, but I have never ever seen a dog in it! Anyway, people love their dogs here just as they do back home!

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 22nd 2017 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12344229)
I live in Brooklyn and don't have a dog, but I have plenty of friends who do and there are tons in our neighborhood. Honestly, I don't know how people live in such small apartments with large dogs, but they do. Dogs are kept on leashes here and they are not allowed inside coffee shops or restaurants so people tend to leave them tied up outside for short periods.

Our neighbourhood has also seen standalone dog houses sprout up on the streets, where you put money in and you store your dog while you go shopping. Rentable dog houses now available in Brooklyn | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

We have one on the next block, but I have never ever seen a dog in it! Anyway, people love their dogs here just as they do back home!

Interesting, do they have them for larger dogs as well?

kateinbrooklyn Sep 22nd 2017 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12344253)
Interesting, do they have them for larger dogs as well?

Seems to be one-size-fits-all. I don't see this being a sustainable business model.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 22nd 2017 6:47 pm

How It Works

Judging by this only fits small dogs, my one is comatose at my feet and no way would he squeeze in one of those.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 22nd 2017 6:54 pm

Might work well for small children?

sherbert Sep 22nd 2017 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12344195)
New York’s laws banning animals from patios and courtyards at bars/eating places were repealed a couple of years ago, but I don’t know how many people take advantage of that. However, SoCal obviously has a far different outdoor scene from NY. For instance, I see pics of dogs on the beach in CA, but that is only permitted in NY outside of the summer high season.

SoCal is the most dog friendly place I've been to in the US (it was a shock to move up to NorCal) but this is mainly because the weather is always good: very rarely too hot, never too cold. This means that most places have patios and outside areas and they are used year round.

Nutmegger Sep 22nd 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12344229)
I live in Brooklyn and don't have a dog, but I have plenty of friends who do and there are tons in our neighborhood.

When I lived in NYC I always saw lots of fellow apartment dwellers out walking their dogs. Here in CT, I rarely see any, as most people have yards they let the dogs out into and don't walk around the neighborhood too much. I feel it could be the same on Long Island for the OP, but presumably she will do a recce before moving and find out for sure!

Pulaski Sep 23rd 2017 3:09 pm

In town and the 'burbs the dog will be safe, but if you venture further afield, out into state and national parks or wilderness areas where it is legal to allow your dog off the leash, you would be very well advised to buy a high visibility vest for your dog.

http://shop.brightpups.com.au/15-lar...ility-vest.jpg

LouisB Sep 23rd 2017 7:46 pm

As others have said, Long Island is big and has many diverse regions.

However it's certainly true that in parts of Brooklyn dogs, especially little ones are everywhere. There are dog parks, dog walkers, dogs everywhere you look. Even dog kennels for shops and shops put bowls of water outside their shops for the public.

Dogs dogs dogs 🐶