Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How does sponsorship work?

How does sponsorship work?

Old Oct 20th 2002, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Flem2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does sponsorship work?

For a while my husband and I have thought seriously about uprooting from the UK to live in the States. My aunt and uncle emigrated there 30 years ago and have said they would sponsor us, but we don't really know what this involves and would it be enough?
I have a bachelors degree, but not in a subject that gives me any particular skills.

Can anyone give us any advice please?
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 3:56 am
Hnchoksi

Default Re: How does sponsorship work?

>Subject: How does sponsorship work?
    >From: Flem2002 [email protected]
    >Date: 10/20/02 9:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    >Message-id:
    >For a while my husband and I have thought seriously about uprooting from
    >the UK to live in the States. My aunt and uncle emigrated there 30
    >years ago and have said they would sponsor us, but we don't really know
    >what this involves and would it be enough?
    >I have a bachelors degree, but not in a subject that gives me any
    >particular skills.

Your aunt cannot sponsor you.

What is your degree in? You'd be surprised at what degrees are accepted for
H-1B visas...

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

fleming77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Flem2002:
For a while my husband and I have thought seriously about uprooting from the UK to live in the States. My aunt and uncle emigrated there 30 years ago and have said they would sponsor us, but we don't really know what this involves and would it be enough?
I have a bachelors degree, but not in a subject that gives me any particular skills.

Yeah your aunt is unable to sponsor you but as you have a degree you should be able to get sponsorship through the H1b.(or if you have 12 years exp in your field) However you have to find the job first, which can be a pain in the rear. Then the employer has to apply for the visa and prove that he is paying the prevailing wage and will follow certain conditions. IT s quite a process but if obtained you can work here legally for 3 years with an extension to 6.
Word of advice ... you wont have much of a chance getting work if you are applying from the UK. Come over on a B1/b2 visa and try. ITs an easier process to change from this status to H1b.
Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

hevsean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by fleming77:

Yeah your aunt is unable to sponsor you but as you have a degree you should be able to get sponsorship through the H1b.(or if you have 12 years exp in your field) However you have to find the job first, which can be a pain in the rear. Then the employer has to apply for the visa and prove that he is paying the prevailing wage and will follow certain conditions. IT s quite a process but if obtained you can work here legally for 3 years with an extension to 6.
Word of advice ... you wont have much of a chance getting work if you are applying from the UK. Come over on a B1/b2 visa and try. ITs an easier process to change from this status to H1b.
Good luck.
So if some employee offers to sponsor you you can get a visa - but what about your spouse aren't they prohibited from working? How do you get round this? would they need to get sponsored as well?

How have others done this before ?

S
Old Nov 18th 2002, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sponsors

As far as I know, anyone who has US citizenship and up to date tax records can sponsor you.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know, anyone who has US citizenship and up to date tax records can sponsor you.

Thats not true.

If you bring your spouse, s/he will get H4 and can not work unless s/he gets his/her own workvisa
Old Nov 18th 2002, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ivonne

Thats not true.

If you bring your spouse, s/he will get H4 and can not work unless s/he gets his/her own workvisa
Not true. I am a US citizen, and on a spousal visa (IR-1), the right to work and remain in the US is granted immediatley on entry, without separate filing or waiting.
Old Nov 18th 2002, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a different case. You are a citizen! But if no one of the couple is an american citizen, they have to go a different route. There is no such thing as applying for Gc and getting one, only because you want to live in USA. You have to find a sponsor. The case here is different!
Old Nov 19th 2002, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Default sponsors

Thats right. I don't recall having said that anyone did not need a sponsor. No worries.....
Old Nov 21st 2002, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

rodeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How does sponsorship work?

mybodyshopper.com is the site that mainly focuses on the job for those on H1b visa
Old Nov 21st 2002, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Spouses are prohibited from working, unless you can get a company to sponsor you when you get here. Spouses are not issued with a SSN, so there will be some trying times ahead - as I have found out. Everything financial wise will be put in hubbys name, you won't even be able to get a Sears card. Your husband will have to apply for everything and you can be put on as a secondary signature on any accounts. I walked in to a bank with $500 to open an account and was told sorry, if you don't have a social, you can not open up an account..... Good luck and try not to get too frustrated with all the red tape.
Old Nov 24th 2002, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Flem2002

Could your aunt or uncle could sponsor one of your parents?? AS I UNDERSTAND IT: If the parent can establish permanent residency or Citizenship, you could easily get in (it would just be a formality) since your parent would now be a US Citizen. The time involved would be at least several years, if not many more.

Last edited by jaytee; Nov 29th 2002 at 7:41 am.