Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How does a Brit journalist get a US Work Visa???

How does a Brit journalist get a US Work Visa???

Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

chick_hack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does a Brit journalist get a US Work Visa???

Hi!
Im a 30 year old journalist on a London paper and a committed Yankophile
I would love to live in the States again for a year or maybe longer (I lived in California for a year with a J1 visa as part of an American Studies degree in 1994-5; had a great time and made some great mates) and was wondering how to go about getting a year work work visa? I had a social security number at the time but have since lost it (doh)...Am I allowed to reactivate it if I contact the Social Security office?
I have also heard you can get a visa if you prove you are writing for a British paper, but I am more interested in writing for a US magazine/paper (I know that loads of Brit hacks write for the NY Post, for example).
Any advice gratefully received!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:38 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: How does a Brit journalist get a US Work Visa???

Originally posted by chick_hack
Hi!
Im a 30 year old journalist on a London paper and a committed Yankophile
I would love to live in the States again for a year or maybe longer (I lived in California for a year with a J1 visa as part of an American Studies degree in 1994-5; had a great time and made some great mates) and was wondering how to go about getting a year work work visa? I had a social security number at the time but have since lost it (doh)...Am I allowed to reactivate it if I contact the Social Security office?
I have also heard you can get a visa if you prove you are writing for a British paper, but I am more interested in writing for a US magazine/paper (I know that loads of Brit hacks write for the NY Post, for example).

You need a firm job offer to get the work visa. Suggest you start contacting papers.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

PS A US social security number is for life. If yours is not valid for work you'll have to have it updated. But first, of course, you need to get them to find your number in the system!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
(ex UK journo living in Dallas)

Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:46 pm
gpc
Forum Regular

gpc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does a Brit journalist get a US Work Visa???

Originally posted by chick_hack
I can't help you with your visa efforts, but you're definitely right that the NY Post is a haven for British journalists.

I always have American friends complaining about the Britishisms in that paper, like how they insist on calling Michael Jackson "Jacko" when absolutely no one in this country has ever called him that.

Magazines in New York are also loaded with Brits.