Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you set your watch over here?

How do you set your watch over here?

Old Jul 25th 2004, 12:38 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default How do you set your watch over here?

In Britain we have the speaking clock and the BBC's "pips" to help set our watches accurately, but I've not found anything like that over here. As a result, I've no idea whether my watch is right or not. Anyone help?
Old Jul 25th 2004, 1:02 pm
Pulaski

Default Re: How do you set your watch over here?

Originally posted by nxylas
    > In Britain we have the
speaking clock and the BBC's "pips" to help set our watches accurately,
but I've not found anything like that over here. As a result, I've no
idea whether my watch is right or not. Anyone help?
I use
this, http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timeanddate.com,
but you need a DSL/ cable modem to be sure that it is showing the
correct time to the second - it's a pity that the site can't show a
rolling second figure based on your computer's clock as it would be fine
for a minute or two while you set your own watch or clock. :(

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 25th 2004, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

www.time.gov has the official US time.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:23 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

We usually go by our Sprint PCS phones but who knows how reliable they are?!
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:32 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaflorida
We usually go by our Sprint PCS phones but who knows how reliable they are?!
My Sprint phone clicks the minute exactly on cue from this site:
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java

Pretty accurate I'd say.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:35 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

That's good to know, thanks!
Old Jul 26th 2004, 4:21 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Locally, we have a time/weather number.....513-721-1700. Not sure if there is one in every area though...I'm presuming it's a service provided by the phone company.

Old Jul 26th 2004, 5:33 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

We have an atomic clock. Not that it helps much -still always late.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 6:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I find there's nothing in my life that really requires split second accuracy. Is this bad?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:48 am
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

Not at all. The battery in my watch has been on the wane for months. Because of it I lose about 10 minutes a week in time and have to move my watch forward again.

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I find there's nothing in my life that really requires split second accuracy. Is this bad?
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

In Britain we have the speaking clock and the BBC's "pips" to help set our watches accurately, but I've not found anything like that over here. As a result, I've no idea whether my watch is right or not. Anyone help?
One clock GMT
Second clock PST
Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the UK you can go on to teletext or ceefax, or whatever, on your TV and get the current UK time to the second. Surely the USA has the same? Maybe a complication over there are the various time zones. Being such a small country physically (much smaller than the state of Montana for example) we only have one time zone, currently BST (British Summer Time) one hour ahead of GMT and one hour behind Central European Time which alters its time twice a year at the same time as we do.