Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do we emigrate to the US?

Wikiposts

How do we emigrate to the US?

Old Jun 14th 2003, 6:15 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Is it not possible for people to air their opinions without resorting to being offensive and rude? You may disagree with someone but it doesn't mean you have to be rude. Especially when the original post was just someone's opinion stated in a polite way. I thought a discussion board was just that...for debate.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:34 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Grass is always Greener on the Other side!

Originally posted by Patrick
Thats straight out of the Ranjini book of diplomatic comments!
Whoa!! Patrick firing his six-guns from the hip, as usual *sigh* the world would indeed be a dull place without you. err..... I meant to say BE would be a dull place, excuse me.
I'm not being sycophantic as far as His Sweet Reasonableness, diplomat par excellence, when I say that I agree with him about the cost of health insurance. Ken and I pay quite a bit more than that, being an older couple. Even our co-pay is higher. I think anyone concerned about health costs should be aware of this before they move to the US. Expecially for a family of eight??

Last edited by Ranjini; Jun 14th 2003 at 7:38 am.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 7:55 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
Whoa!! Patrick firing his six-guns from the hip, as usual *sigh* the world would indeed be a dull place without you. err..... I meant to say BE would be a dull place, excuse me.
I'm not being sycophantic as far as His Sweet Reasonableness, diplomat par excellence, when I say that I agree with him about the cost of health insurance. Ken and I pay quite a bit more than that, being an older couple. Even our co-pay is higher. I think anyone concerned about health costs should be aware of this before they move to the US. Expecially for a family of eight??

Did Ranjini just agree with me on something!!!

If anyone wants me I will be ice skating in Hell.

Patrick
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:02 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Is it not possible for people to air their opinions without resorting to being offensive and rude?
It is possible, but its far less fun!
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

aramintaalice is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats straight out of the Ranjini book of diplomatic comments! How can you say such a dumb thing. Just because you don't want to be in the UK don't diss it. For ****s sake it is still one of the most progressive countries in the world, it is a much freeer society than america - (you don't need ID, your more than just a SSN).

For all your dislike of your native country don't think that America is the land of milk of honey, some things are better some are worse but you have just shown how ignorant you are! If you think that by escaping the UK any problems you have will disappear they won't, I have been here 4 months and still haven't got a job (only had 3 interviews). The money here isn't as great as people make out (it is relative, if its expensive to live then the money is higher so you can earn a lot but you then pay a lot in rent/mortgage, taxes and other such stuff.

The NHS isn't great but health insurance for your family will cost you upwards of $120 a month, then you have to pay $20 for each visit to the doctors. Alright the health care is much better but somewhere along the line your paying for it.

People come to the UK because it is a good place to live, it is a safe place (**** off with your stories of isolated incedants in your area everyone).

I am proud to be British, I love England and its cultural heritance. I too could find a million things that are wrong with the UK (and the US for that matter) but don't feel it necessary.

Patrick

Any chance of a moron free day! No, OK then.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone at all. I was just interested to hear Bubbles opinion of the UK really - it really wasn't meant to be offensive in any way.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:13 am
Banned

It is possible, but its far less fun!
Interesting ..........
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:21 am
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by aramintaalice
Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend anyone at all. I was just interested to hear Bubbles opinion of the UK really - it really wasn't meant to be offensive in any way.
I appologise too. You just came over like Darrenb and some others on here that are so down about the UK, and so up about the US and never lived in the US. They have no idea that although most things seem cheap it is more expensive to live than you think (just because cars and gas are cheap and you get a bigger house for the money). My wife loses £1500 per month from her wages for health care, taxes and 401K, they didn't mention that in the brochure. They don't mention the taxes some states have, if your not taxed high on income, you will be taxed high on property tax or (what we would call) VAT. Its in there somewhere!

What is given with one hand is always taken away with the other. Yes living here is nice, but (like most people on this board) I am British and Proud, and won't have people talking down about my homeland

Patrick
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:24 am
Pagan Sex God

Interesting ..........

Only to my Shrink and my Parole Officer

Patrick
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:27 am
Banned

Originally posted by frrussre
Why do people on the boards, assume we emigrasted to Us because there was something wrong with the country we came from.
I personally think starting afresh is just great. Leave all the crap behind. Start life on a new page, as it were.
Why people think as they do? Because they know nothing about anything worth knowing about IMHO...
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:32 am
Pagan Sex God

Because they know nothing about anything worth knowing about IMHO...
Is that a sentence or just a collection a words, english only please!

(teasing!)
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by frrussre
Jaytee:

"Not true at all about the loose immigration policy, whether or not that is bad for the United States. Asylum is far easier in Britain. Even Hussain's daughters mailed in their applications for asylum. Here they even turn away Cuban immigrants trying to swim to shore and deport them back to CERTAIN IMPRISONMENT AND/OR EXECUTION back in Cuba, even though they would be able to stay on if they had made it to shore (wet foot, dry foot). This is a horrible policy.

As far as illegal immigrants, yes there are many doing menial jobs for low pay to extremely low pay and they and their families are met with countless impassable blockades in regards to education, employment, law enforcement.. not a pleasant existance".

This thread is not about, the rights and wrongs of illegal immigration.
I did not make any moral or immoral judgements.
This thread is about bad mouthing, the UK. My response was that many people want to go to the UK and my opinion, that people come to the USA illegally or legally because it's easier.

If you want to start a thread on the moral issues of illegal immigrants, then please do so. But this thread is not the place.

Reg. Frank R.
Well, you're right, that is an opinion.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:47 am
Banned

Is that a sentence or just a collection a words, english only please!

(teasing!)
Now Patrick teaseth me :scared: Personally I thought it kind of sounded like something Oscar Wilde would say. Sort of profound??
Old Jun 14th 2003, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

bubbles2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: The Grass is always Greener on the Other side!

Hello! There

You asked me why I would love to move to the UK and I have many reasons. The main reason is that I'm in love with the architecture, the landscapes, the narrow roads, the cars on the opposite direction, the people. The place that captured my heart was the Yorkshire Moors, I'm in love with that place! Every time I go to England I wish I could stay, I wish I could find a job there that would sponsor me and live somewhere in the North. I wish my babies could attend an English school and also I wish I could find a good hearted and attractive English man to marry but chances are slim, specially now that I have turned 40. The older you are the slimer chances you have to restart your life.
Some people say that England is a cold country but I have found to be the opposite, everyone I have encountered have been friendly, truly nice and I cannot think of any other place in the world that I would move to but England.

Well, my hope is that someday the UK and the US will have some treaty that would allow citizens of both countries to live in either country. Maybe we will not see this in our lifetime but we can always dream and hope for it.

If you come to the Eastern US let me know, I would love to meet you all!

Cheers!

Heather
Old Jun 14th 2003, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bubbles2003
Well, my hope is that someday the UK and the US will have some treaty that would allow citizens of both countries to live in either country.

Sorry, but that's definately NOT gonna happen. Florida would be overrun with British immigrants.:scared:
Old Jun 14th 2003, 11:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
Sorry, but that's definately NOT gonna happen. Florida would be overrun with British immigrants.:scared:
Unlike now, where it's overrun with Cuban immigrants!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.