Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do they manage in San Francisco

How do they manage in San Francisco

Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:39 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do they manage in San Francisco

One thing to remember. If you leave California chances are you'll never be able to afford to return to live in California
Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
One thing to remember. If you leave California chances are you'll never be able to afford to return to live in California
If people can, as they do, return to the UK from countries around the world, I am sure you could make it back to California if you really wanted to.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just out of interest, what are people actually getting for the property tax in the US? It's not as if people in the US aren't already paying taxes either. They introduced property tax here in Ireland from 2013 and there were huge protests. I currently pay €225 a year for a 4 bed detached house, because I bought at a low prices during recession and the system is kind of based on value, but it's more a self assessment anyway. I probably won't get anything for it, but so far it isn't as bad as other countries. We also have other annoying taxes, but I kind of prefer a higher alcohol tax than a higher property tax.
In my city, the biggest proportions of property taxes go to public protection (police, courts etc), transportation (roads, sidewalks, transit subsidies etc), education and public healthcare.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Propery Tax is the bane of my existence here. We pay around $8k a year on a 500k 4 bedroom home. It's a disgrace.
. It really is a disgrace and it's not as if $500K is a lot in California. Some people might have saved all their lives to afford a nicer place in a safe area, but then you're punished to pay insane property taxes. That's $160K in 20 years..................
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

. It really is a disgrace and it's not as if $500K is a lot in California. Some people might have saved all their lives to afford a nicer place in a safe area, but then you're punished to pay insane property taxes. That's $160K in 20 years..................
Pretty much the same here. I feel bad for the people who bought years ago and now have houses pushing 1 million in assesed value, and never expected and may not even have the income necessary to pay the annual taxes.

My MIL house for this years assessment went up nearly 350,000 since last year, total assessed value is now 870,000. She bought in the 80's when housing here was dirt cheap and this was a blue collar working class town.

She will pay around 5,000 on top of utilities such as sewer and water.

We do have some grants and programs for certain groups of lower income and seniors to help cover taxes, but when you have assessments going up in some area's 30% in a year.

Now its a white collar commuting town.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Some people might have saved all their lives to afford a nicer place in a safe area, but then you're punished to pay insane property taxes. .
But isn't it a vicious circle? It is a nicer, safer area because of the services that come from higher property taxes: a good police force, well-maintained roads, garbage pickup, snow removal (where relevant), and the number one item, good schools.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

You will pay ~1.2% in CA. That is fixed by prop 13. On a 500K house you will be paying about 6K per year for the rest of your life. It is possible you might pay extra through mello roos for newer developments.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Pretty much the same here. I feel bad for the people who bought years ago and now have houses pushing 1 million in assesed value, and never expected and may not even have the income necessary to pay the annual taxes.

My MIL house for this years assessment went up nearly 350,000 since last year, total assessed value is now 870,000. She bought in the 80's when housing here was dirt cheap and this was a blue collar working class town.

She will pay around 5,000 on top of utilities such as sewer and water.

We do have some grants and programs for certain groups of lower income and seniors to help cover taxes, but when you have assessments going up in some area's 30% in a year.

Now its a white collar commuting town.
I assume she is not in California. Where you are protected from property tax rises. My 90 year old neighbor pays ~$1500 a year, i pay 6K. A person down the street pays under $1000. But they bought in the 70s.

CA is not so bad really. You pay more for houses but property tax is capped by prop 13. My friend pays double my property tax rate in New Jersey.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it a disgrace? Everyone - unless they live in a paper bag in the middle of the road - pays property taxes directly as a property owner or indirectly through rent. Most states in he US choose to fund more things locally than the UK (and presumably Ireland) so really you have to compare the total tax take to make any meaningful comparisons.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 6th 2016 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Why is it a disgrace?
Because we ALREADY PAY STATE TAXES to support our local towns. There is absolutely NO reason for a town to charge *thousands* in taxes. Even Kensington & Chelsea council tax rates don't even begin to approach the rates around here.

Everyone - unless they live in a paper bag in the middle of the road - pays property taxes directly as a property owner or indirectly through rent.
So? It's still wrong. It's a broken system. How are people supposed to pay exorbitant property taxes when retired? They won't be able to.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Because we ALREADY PAY STATE TAXES to support our local towns. There is absolutely NO reason for a town to charge *thousands* in taxes. Even Kensington & Chelsea council tax rates don't even begin to approach the rates around here.
That's because in the UK almost everything is centrally funded. But you're still paying for it, be it through income tax, vat, petrol tax etc. Really, you have to look at the total tax take to make comparisons.

So? It's still wrong. It's a broken system. How are people supposed to pay exorbitant property taxes when retired? They won't be able to.
That is why many states limit property tax increases, eg CA with prop 13 etc (not that I agree with the way prop 13 does it).
Old Jan 6th 2016, 6:03 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

That's because in the UK almost everything is centrally funded. But you're still paying for it, be it through income tax, vat, petrol tax etc. Really, you have to look at the total tax take to make comparisons.

That is why many states limit property tax increases, eg CA with prop 13 etc (not that I agree with the way prop 13 does it).
One might object to the level of property tax being levied, but for me the real headscratcher is the distribution of those revenues.

In San Diego county, it seems the wealthiest cities have the lowest levels of property tax, and the poorer cities have the highest. However, gross receipts from those taxes are going to be waaay higher in the wealthy areas due to the value of property.

Less money in the pot for local schools and City maintenance, means less desirable area to move to, keeps the property value down, less tax revenue... vicious circle. And they couldn't even increase the rate if they wanted to.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But isn't it a vicious circle? It is a nicer, safer area because of the services that come from higher property taxes: a good police force, well-maintained roads, garbage pickup, snow removal (where relevant), and the number one item, good schools.
Still seems way too much and what if I don't drive, don't have kids and create less waste than others? Surely other taxes should cover those things. Here I pay road tax based on CO2 emissions (from 2008), or engine size (before 2008). I live 20 mins from city in a rural location and pay €300 for bin collection yearly, while some collections are based on weight. The idea that waste collection is included in property tax is not bad to reduce illegal dumping, but seems like a rip off. Surely the area is not safer because you are paying more for police and will the police give you extra services, because your tax is higher than others?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by username.exe
One might object to the level of property tax being levied, but for me the real headscratcher is the distribution of those revenues.

In San Diego county, it seems the wealthiest cities have the lowest levels of property tax, and the poorer cities have the highest. However, gross receipts from those taxes are going to be waaay higher in the wealthy areas due to the value of property.

Less money in the pot for local schools and City maintenance, means less desirable area to move to, keeps the property value down, less tax revenue... vicious circle. And they couldn't even increase the rate if they wanted to.
The rate is fixed state-wide by prop 13 at 1%. Localities can vote for additional "parcel taxes" - a fixed amount per property - for specific purposes, which I strongly disagree with.

Schools in CA are largely funded at the state level.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 6th 2016 at 6:12 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's because in the UK almost everything is centrally funded. But you're still paying for it, be it through income tax, vat, petrol tax etc. Really, you have to look at the total tax take to make comparisons
But if you lose your job in the UK you get benefits because you paid income tax. VAT doesn't mean things are more expensive than in the US and it's your choice to buy the product. If I'm paying tax on petrol, I will drive a car that's more efficient and at least people who don't drive are rewarded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.