Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I sell a car (in Canada)?

How do I sell a car (in Canada)?

Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default How do I sell a car (in Canada)?

Hi

I have never sold a car before so I really need some guidance.

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and will need to sell it in the next 6 weeks. It is on 7 year finance and I've only been paying it off since May 2011, so I am fully aware I'm going to end up owing money on it.

However, I literally have no idea how this works.

How do I figure out how much to sell it for?

How do I advertise it (as in description)?

How does it work with the bank and the finance loan?

I am super clueless in this department.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I sell a car (in Canada)?

Hi

Originally Posted by cancov
Hi

I have never sold a car before so I really need some guidance.

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and will need to sell it in the next 6 weeks. It is on 7 year finance and I've only been paying it off since May 2011, so I am fully aware I'm going to end up owing money on it.

However, I literally have no idea how this works.

How do I figure out how much to sell it for?

How do I advertise it (as in description)?

How does it work with the bank and the finance loan?

I am super clueless in this department.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Look into Lease Busters http://leasebusters.com/en/index.html
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! I didn't even know there was such a thing! I'll look into it.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I didn't even know there was such a thing! I'll look into it.
My car was only 11 months old when we put it on leasebusters. It sold in the first day, which was too soon for us, but the woman who bought it was nice enough to put off the exchange until the week before we moved.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Can I ask if you ended up owing money on the car? And did it cost money to use leasebusters?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Can I ask if you ended up owing money on the car? And did it cost money to use leasebusters?
The lady I sold mine to took over the financing. IIRC there was a fee for using Leasebusters, but it was 6 years ago now, so don't remember. From the FAQs page it looks like it's $295. http://www.leasebusters.com/en/faq.asp
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cool, thanks! I just don't understand why someone would take over a lease that has more owing on it than what the car is worth given how much new cars depreciate as son as you leave the lot? What is in it for them?
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ok I am really going to show my thickness here when it comes to cars but is a "lease" the same thing as the finance that is on my car? Like I didn't lease the car, I bought it using a 0 interest 7 year finance deal. Will this Leasebusters concept apply to me?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:34 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ok I am really going to show my thickness here when it comes to cars but is a "lease" the same thing as the finance that is on my car? Like I didn't lease the car, I bought it using a 0 interest 7 year finance deal. Will this Leasebusters concept apply to me?
Sorry no, I read your original post and thought you were leasing rather than financing the car. When you advertise and sell the car, you will find that the financing company has placed a lien on the car which you have to pay out before the buyer can register the car.

I really think you should discuss it with the finance company to find out what the payout is going to be. It won't be cheap. Check VMR to get an idea what the car is worth. http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus.../11hysota.html Also check Kiiji and Craigslist to see what the asking price is before you list the car.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Sorry no, I read your original post and thought you were leasing rather than financing the car. When you advertise and sell the car, you will find that the financing company has placed a lien on the car which you have to pay out before the buyer can register the car.

I really think you should discuss it with the finance company to find out what the payout is going to be. It won't be cheap. Check VMR to get an idea what the car is worth. http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus.../11hysota.html Also check Kiiji and Craigslist to see what the asking price is before you list the car.
Ok, thanks, that was what I was thinking. I guess I am going to need to talk to the lender. I won't have the cash lump sum to cover the difference, so I don't know what I am going to do. Every penny I have (and every bit of credit too) is going to finance this move home.

I was looking up voluntary repossessions, I wonder if it will just have to come to this and then I will have to work out a deal to pay off the difference to the bank?

Will they let me sign the car and remaining payements over to my sister?

Out of everything about moving, this is what I am finding the most anxiety provoking.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that leasebusters have a sister company, finance busters? You would have to check that your loan/payments are transferrable though. Good Luck!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
I think that leasebusters have a sister company, finance busters? You would have to check that your loan/payments are transferrable though. Good Luck!
Thanks, I shall look that up. I feel so foolish when it comes to this!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:42 am
Still alive

Thanks, I shall look that up. I feel so foolish when it comes to this!
Don't feel foolish. You're doing the best you can, so nothing to feel foolish about.