Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I know Im back in Blighty?

How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:03 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Try living in Arizona, the one state (?) that does not change clocks. Half the year we are on the same time as CA, the other half we are on the same time as CO. Absolutely everyone is confused by that! But I do like the fact the clocks don't change in winter ...
I've heard stories about people living in one state just across the border line and working with kids going to school in another state just across the other side of the border. They leave home an hour after they start work and it takes twice the time to get home Now that would be confusing
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Where's your little pink squiggle by your name then? If you're looking for special treatment you need one of those.
I thought she was a bloke too
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've heard stories about people living in one state just across the border line and working with kids going to school in another state just across the other side of the border. They leave home an hour after they start work and it takes twice the time to get home Now that would be confusing
That's why Arizona needs the Transporter Bridge
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:48 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought she was a bloke too
Ok Bob.... now you have let the side down.. you realise you have left us men open to all the females on the site who are going to pile on and want to accuse us of not paying attention.. selective hearing .. and you should have known by the way I type!! and all manner of other wild accusations ... all of which are untrue ..but
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
That's why Arizona needs the Transporter Bridge
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Ok Bob.... now you have let the side down.. you realise you have left us men open to all the females on the site who are going to pile on and want to accuse us of not paying attention.. selective hearing .. and you should have known by the way I type!! and all manner of other wild accusations ... all of which are untrue ..but
well the pink sign only popped up when TR mentioned it...that's my excuse
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Desmodronic is an unknown quantity at this point

How do i know im back in blighty?

Drive a mile down the road 2 miles over the speed limit and my licence goes on a vacation.

Naw....theres nothing that would make me wanna go back.........sounds like in the 12 years ive been gone......the place has gone down hill.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

...when you get called a prick because your response to their initial question of "'Ere what mate giz us a fag?" is "Sorry, mate, I don't smoke."

...when your friends start calling you posh because you no longer carry a regional accent.

And on a lighter note, when your friend uses "See my mate over there [pointing at me], he's from San Francisco" as a pick up line at a club.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
...I can hear the rag n bone man crying out "Ragbone" coming up our street.
O to be in England...
Well BE friends my trip is nearly over! Fly back wednesday - nothing but nothing has changed in the 3 months ive been away - including me

I slipped right back into blighty life - developed again a strong boro accent - ate fish n chips with glee - probably put on half a stone (o the joy of people understanding what half a stone means!) discovered i can still drive and have become used to seeing 2 rag n bone men round our street twice a day!!!

Stocked up with Primarni, simple products, found somewhere in the boro who actually did eyebrow threading and spelt out my name with a Zed rather than Zee - tho i did have to think about that one!

Hmm the parties over now when i get back - driving test and job hunting. Oh and my AOS interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See you on t'other side!!!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Huh?

http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=2237

What in the world...? Why? And why aren't there any pictures of it in the sunshine?
This picture ...

from the site above seems to sum up in one frame why I get so depressed when back there .... gray skies, and dark brick buildings. I know everyone here hates the wood buildings, and the stucco, but I just can't stand the dirty red brick ... All the picture is missing to round out the story is a teenage girl pushing a pram with a fag hanging out of her mouth ...
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I've just spoored myself. It still smells like shit though.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
The thing I noticed the most is..you feel like you are in a third world country when driving the pothole covered country roads..
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Im going to take this off topic but Im allowed as it was my topic to start with
Tonrob im not sure but do you fly to Teesside and if so which route? I had a nightmare journey from SF to Manchester via JFK then train to the boro last week - couldve got to the moon quicker
I might go from SF via Amsterdam next time but its so expensive
If its not you who is the boro boy then no worries

Ah now think i am mixing you up with Yorkieabroad!!!
Fly to vegas, and get Virgins non stop to Manchester...
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Huh?

http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=2237

What in the world...? Why? And why aren't there any pictures of it in the sunshine?
You mean like this??
Attached Thumbnails How do I know Im back in Blighty?-1050_09_1-transporter-bridge-middlesbrough_web.jpg  
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Fly to vegas, and get Virgins non stop to Manchester...
thanks - this is what i have done this time (im here now) bit of a pain to get a 3 hour train journey to the boro

Ive found a route from SF to Teesside via Amsterdam so will try that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.