Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I go about a name change?

How do I go about a name change?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:11 am
Just Joined

x524x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I go about a name change?

Hello fellow ex pats, I was born in London and moved to California at a young age. I have dual citizenship Brit-US. I'm looking to change my name, I still live in California. How would I go about doing it? Do I need to get my name changed in the UK prior to changing it in CA? If I change my name in California will I have to travel to London to do all the paper work? I've tried looking for name changes similar to my situation and I didn't find much results so I'm hoping other ex pats who has been in my predicament would be able to answer. Any input is valued, thanks

I do apologise if I posted this on the wrong section.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I go about a name change?

Originally Posted by x524x
Hello fellow ex pats, I was born in London and moved to California at a young age. I have dual citizenship Brit-US. I'm looking to change my name, I still live in California. How would I go about doing it? Do I need to get my name changed in the UK prior to changing it in CA? If I change my name in California will I have to travel to London to do all the paper work? I've tried looking for name changes similar to my situation and I didn't find much results so I'm hoping other ex pats who has been in my predicament would be able to answer. Any input is valued, thanks

Hi and welcome to BE.

Can you just clarify how old you are, as I note that you've posted in the Youth Club. I imagine if you are under 18 then you would have to discuss a name change etc with your parents?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by x524x

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp...changeform.htm

You don't need to travel to London.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

x524x is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi and welcome to BE.

Can you just clarify how old you are, as I note that you've posted in the Youth Club. I imagine if you are under 18 then you would have to discuss a name change etc with your parents?
Oh I'm just a little over 18 lol. Just a bit lost about how to do this, for example would I have to give California my birth certificate to show them I've changed my name? Or would I have to get my name changed in the UK first then in the USA? If I change my name in the USA do I still retain my former name in the UK? Would I have to do them separately? lol I know I'm asking a lot and thank you guys for answering