Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I get a parcel to Iraq???

How do I get a parcel to Iraq???

Old May 1st 2007, 8:52 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I get a parcel to Iraq???

I live in New York City, my cousin in Liverpool went to Basra last Sunday, he is in the army (to learn to be a mechanic!!)

I made him a parcel which I took to the Post Office on Saturday morning. After a very long wait, huge lines, I was told they only send parcels to Iraq to American bases. So I would need an AFPB and 5 numbers. My cousin is BFBP and 3 numbers. I asked them was there any way I can get a package there. NO!!! I have spent since Saturday till now, Tuesday evening calling post offices. One did say I could change the BFPO to AFPO but the post office still would not take it as there are only 3 numbers.

HELP!!!

I just got an e-mail from my cousin who thanked me in advance for the parcel, he said he could not wait, it was like Christmas! I had mailed him that I was on my way to the post office on Saturday morning!

Does anyone know what I can do? Please. By now as you can imagine, I am VERY upset!!!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get a parcel to Iraq???

Couldn't you mail it to the BFPO in the UK via their regular address and have them forward it on? I think they do have a forwarding service (some guys order stuff on Amazon, etc and get it fowarded).

http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/
Old May 1st 2007, 9:07 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will ask about that. Seems a bad way to mail cookies and sweets though, lol It is dvds and munchies really but they have been sitting here 4 days now so I will try anything!

For American army bases you only pay $8.10 for a flatpack no matter what the weight which is a good deal.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

It is too late to call now but will ring my sister in morning and see if she can help.
Her hubby is in army, just gone to afgan.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

UPS or Fed-ex out? Because they always harp on about being able to get it there where ever...so they might be worth a shout...
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if all else fails you could enlist and take it there yourself.
Old May 2nd 2007, 9:21 am
Just Joined

stelyn27 will become famous soon enough

If their unit is based in the UK, you will be able to send it to there as you only need a british postal address, the post room there will still be manned and should redirect it on to the squaddie in question to the bfpo it will take a bit longer.
Or send it to family in the UK and get them to send it on.

That was how it worked when I was in Bosnia, so it might of changed but i doubt it.

Here is the link for the post office prices if you send to a relative in Liverpool to send on.
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...mediaId=400164

Hope that helps a bit
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Couldn't you mail it to the BFPO in the UK via their regular address and have them forward it on? I think they do have a forwarding service (some guys order stuff on Amazon, etc and get it fowarded).

http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/
This is absolutely correct. What you do is fill in your cousins address, complete with BFPO Number as you would do if sending from the UK. On an additional bottom line, however, you put c/o BFPO London, England NW7 1PX. The US Post Office will then ship to the UK, and the BFPO people will take it from there.

Unless your cousin is friendly with some of the Americans in Basra, who will pick the parcel up for him personally, he'll never see it even if you get a hold of the Basra AFPO number.
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:25 pm
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by Dan725
This is absolutely correct. What you do is fill in your cousins address, complete with BFPO Number as you would do if sending from the UK. On an additional bottom line, however, you put c/o BFPO London, England NW7 1PX. The US Post Office will then ship to the UK, and the BFPO people will take it from there.

Unless your cousin is friendly with some of the Americans in Basra, who will pick the parcel up for him personally, he'll never see it even if you get a hold of the Basra AFPO number.
Thank you so much, do I just put London as you have? Any need to know his UK base?
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:32 pm
British New Yorker

Angry Re: How do I get a parcel to Iraq???

Originally Posted by stelyn27
If their unit is based in the UK, you will be able to send it to there as you only need a british postal address, the post room there will still be manned and should redirect it on to the squaddie in question to the bfpo it will take a bit longer.
Or send it to family in the UK and get them to send it on.

That was how it worked when I was in Bosnia, so it might of changed but i doubt it.

Here is the link for the post office prices if you send to a relative in Liverpool to send on.
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...mediaId=400164

Hope that helps a bit
Thank you. Wow, it will cost me the post to the UK and then about 24 pounds from UK to Basra!!! Here I have found, you can fill a priority mail box, NO WEIGHT RESTRICIONS , my parcel is about 12 pounds and it is the same $8 (4 pounds) as if I were sending it in the same city!!! Good deal. However as this no longer applies as James is of course in the British army. I will still send it though, through the UK a suggested.

Last edited by veronica jayne; May 3rd 2007 at 5:40 pm.
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:39 pm
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I guess if all else fails you could enlist and take it there yourself.

Hey, settle down there I walked in all the anti Vietnam marches and peace marches in the 70's!!! Still, I have never been anti the boys fighting, the opposite in fact, I wanted all the boys home safe!

One of the postal workers I was speaking to, when I said he had no APO number as he was not American said........'Maaaaaaaaam, we do not sent parcels to Iraqis'!!!!! I went nuts, I asked her why there were only two choices you could be, American or Iraqi!! This is the 5th day, I have opened the parcel and eaten one bag of the nuts, raisins and choccie mix!!! I have to re do it anyway now I know it has to go to the UK first.

Your post made me hoot with laughter which I needed
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:41 pm
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by loopylorns
It is too late to call now but will ring my sister in morning and see if she can help.
Her hubby is in army, just gone to afgan.
Thanks
Old May 3rd 2007, 5:42 pm
British New Yorker

Originally Posted by Bob
UPS or Fed-ex out? Because they always harp on about being able to get it there where ever...so they might be worth a shout...
I will call them now. Thanks
Old May 3rd 2007, 6:09 pm
British New Yorker

FedEx will take the sweeties and cookies there for $150!!!! For this they would drop it off at a central drop off and it would be taken by someone else to the camp. :curse:
Old May 4th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
Thank you. Wow, it will cost me the post to the UK and then about 24 pounds from UK to Basra!!! Here I have found, you can fill a priority mail box, NO WEIGHT RESTRICIONS , my parcel is about 12 pounds and it is the same $8 (4 pounds) as if I were sending it in the same city!!! Good deal. However as this no longer applies as James is of course in the British army. I will still send it though, through the UK a suggested.
Hmm strange I don't know why it would cost you anymore to send it Basra - never did when I've sent things through BFPO in this manner/had things sent to me. As far as I am aware, unless you are sending something really big, you just pay the post to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.