Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do i get hold of my 401K funds from the UK?

How do i get hold of my 401K funds from the UK?

Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

401k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do i get hold of my 401K funds from the UK?

I left the US in 2003 and left my 401k behind.

It wasnt rolled into an IRA (I foolishly thought i could do this later!)

Now I want to access the money and bring it back to the UK but cant find how to roll it into an IRA as I am not resident in the USA i dont seem to meet the conditions of transfer.

Dos this mean I am just going to have to suck up the 20% tax and 10% penalty or is there a way round it?

I am a UK citizen.

Thanks

Jon
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do i get hold of my 401K funds from the UK?

Originally Posted by 401k

Now I want to access the money and bring it back to the UK but cant find how to roll it into an IRA as I am not resident in the USA i dont seem to meet the conditions of transfer.

Dos this mean I am just going to have to suck up the 20% tax and 10% penalty or is there a way round it?

I am a UK citizen.

Thanks

Jon
Why don't you want to leave it in the US? It could be a lot cheaper to leave it there and draw down in retirement than move it to the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:28 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Are you older than 59-1/2?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Why don't you want to leave it in the US? It could be a lot cheaper to leave it there and draw down in retirement than move it to the UK.
Because I need the money now!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mallory
Are you older than 59-1/2?
Only 47 years young. 12-1/2 years to go!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I am a UK citizen.

Thanks

Jon
Even if you rolled it in to an IRA, the rules are the same as the 401K for withdrawal unless it was rolled into a Roth IRA but then tax is due immediately but no penalty (only recently allowed). Why do you think there is a 20% tax? Tax is based on income.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What's your objective here? Do you want the cash in your pocket? Or are you just wanting to transfer the funds into an IRA to continue earning value until you retire?

If you want the cash, then yes you will have to pay tax and penalty. AFAIK, there is no way around that.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
What's your objective here? Do you want the cash in your pocket? Or are you just wanting to transfer the funds into an IRA to continue earning value until you retire?

If you want the cash, then yes you will have to pay tax and penalty. AFAIK, there is no way around that.
There are a few loopholes such as you can withdraw about $10,000 if you are buying your first home without paying penalities.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
There are a few loopholes such as you can withdraw about $10,000 if you are buying your first home without paying penalities.
Would that apply if the person is resident in the UK? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know full details.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Would that apply if the person is resident in the UK? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know full details.
I don't know and I looked it up and this only applies to IRA's so I was wrong but I think he could transfer it to an IRA and withdraw $10,000 if that is allowed for non US residents.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:51 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you want the 401k money now you will have to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty unless you need the money for one of the exceptions, like $10k to buy a home. That would also be the case if you had rolled the 401k money into an IRA. You can get at the money penalty free by doing a 72t where you take it out in equal payments based on your mortality, sort of like an annuity, but you could not get at all the money until you were 59.5.

Any money that you do withdraw from your 401k will not be subject to US tax if you are a NRA and a UK resident. You need to make sure that your 401k provider is aware that the 30% withholding tax usually imposed on distributions made to NRAs is not taken out. The 10% or 20% withholding amounts are only for US citizens and US residents. To do this you need to invoke the US/UK tax treaty. You will be fully taxable on the money as income in the UK and will have to do a UK self assessment.

Last edited by nun; Oct 12th 2012 at 2:56 am.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
If you want the 401k money now you will have to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty unless you need the money for one of the exceptions, like $10k to buy a home. That would also be the case if you had rolled the 401k money into an IRA. You can get at the money penalty free by doing a 72t where you take it out in equal payments based on your mortality, sort of like an annuity, but you could not get at all the money until you were 59.5.

Any money that you do withdraw from your 401k will not be subject to US tax if you are a NRA and a UK resident. You need to make sure that your 401k provider is aware that the 30% withholding tax usually imposed on distributions made to NRAs is not taken out. The 10% or 20% withholding amounts are only for US citizens and US residents. To do this you need to invoke the US/UK tax treaty. You will be fully taxable on the money as income in the UK and will have to do a UK self assessment.
Thank you for an excellent reply. - As i am self employed i would just include it as part of my SA. - This sounds like a plan to me!

Now just to explain it to my plan administrators and persuade them not to deduct the penalties!! - Wish me luck!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:27 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for an excellent reply. - As i am self employed i would just include it as part of my SA. - This sounds like a plan to me!

Now just to explain it to my plan administrators and persuade them not to deduct the penalties!! - Wish me luck!
FYI you still pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

..........unless you do the 72t.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 9:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

OK ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.