Reload this Page >

How do I get a bank account...?

How do I get a bank account...?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Victor88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get a bank account...?

Hi friends,

Well I'm soon to be an expat (hopefully moving to NC later this year), and I'd like to find out what the best way of setting up a bank account is?

I'd like to set up the account from over here (UK) so that it's available to me when I arrive in the US... but is this possible without a current US social security number?

I'd like to transfer what little money I have to my new account in the US, and have a credit card facility too... I've been told HSBC do this, but has anyone used them? Are they any good? Whats been your experience?

Thanks for your help all !!

Victor
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all
Default Re: How do I get a bank account...?

Originally Posted by Victor88
Hi friends,

Well I'm soon to be an expat (hopefully moving to NC later this year), and I'd like to find out what the best way of setting up a bank account is?

I'd like to set up the account from over here (UK) so that it's available to me when I arrive in the US... but is this possible without a current US social security number?

I'd like to transfer what little money I have to my new account in the US, and have a credit card facility too... I've been told HSBC do this, but has anyone used them? Are they any good? Whats been your experience?

Victor
Hi

I have heard that HSBC and also CitiBank will open from the UK however i think there are timelines for already being a customer but not sure. We opened ours in the US when we went there on a field trip in Sep and it was very painless. We went with Bank of America (close to where we are etc and have branches everywhere it seems), and we just required 2 copies of photo ID and a small deposit to open and that is it.

I am sure there are some on here who have opened from the UK but it was really easy to open over there (in our experience anyway)

Regards
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi friends,

Victor
If you are looking for a bricks and mortar branch (one that you can physically visit) then I wouldn't go with HSBC, I'm in NC and I don't think they have branches in this state.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
If you are looking for a bricks and mortar branch (one that you can physically visit) then I wouldn't go with HSBC, I'm in NC and I don't think they have branches in this state.
They're mostly on the east coast, one in Boston....not much help there, but they do open accounts and internet banking is pretty good.

Personally go with AmEx for getting a credit card as last of credit history will be the main problem not the bank.

Have a read of the forum, quite a lot of info to get you started.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Hi friends,

Victor
HSBC were VERY helpful, but then I am a long standing customer and my Hubby's company have a relationship with them (fee waived etc...) We managed to open checking, savings accounts and credit card over the phone/email/fax.
But then there is a HSBC near to Hubby's work, I think you may need a branch near you, more so then here.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

We started with a HSBC account and not being a Premier Client at that time paid them £100 fee.

For me, it was worth it to get a US credit card with a decent limit.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Victor88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the excellent advice.

Cranston - thanks for the tip about the credit card, it seems like that a good credit history is the most important thing to establish in the U.S. for a newcomer with no business associations.

HSBC don't have a presence in the Charlotte/NC area (not that I have seen), so it's a matter of whether telephone/internet banking works for me... which it does here in the UK. Don't need a bricks and mortar branch.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I walked into a branch of Comerica on a visit to Houston recently. Took Passport and husband's work address. 10 minutes later, walked out with a 'checking' account and a credit card each. No problems. No issues. Happy days.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Originally Posted by Bob
They're mostly on the east coast,
just curious Bob, what coast do you think NC is on?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
just curious Bob, what coast do you think NC is on?

They aren't limited to the east coast, just that the majority of the branches are here.