British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How do I get a bank account...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-do-i-get-bank-account-633122/)

Victor88 Sep 29th 2009 11:12 am

How do I get a bank account...?

Hi friends,

Well I'm soon to be an expat (hopefully moving to NC later this year), and I'd like to find out what the best way of setting up a bank account is?

I'd like to set up the account from over here (UK) so that it's available to me when I arrive in the US... but is this possible without a current US social security number?

I'd like to transfer what little money I have to my new account in the US, and have a credit card facility too... I've been told HSBC do this, but has anyone used them? Are they any good? Whats been your experience?

Thanks for your help all !!

Victor

buckers Sep 29th 2009 11:57 am

Re: How do I get a bank account...?

Originally Posted by Victor88 (Post 7974297)
Hi friends,

Well I'm soon to be an expat (hopefully moving to NC later this year), and I'd like to find out what the best way of setting up a bank account is?

I'd like to set up the account from over here (UK) so that it's available to me when I arrive in the US... but is this possible without a current US social security number?

I'd like to transfer what little money I have to my new account in the US, and have a credit card facility too... I've been told HSBC do this, but has anyone used them? Are they any good? Whats been your experience?

Victor

Hi

I have heard that HSBC and also CitiBank will open from the UK however i think there are timelines for already being a customer but not sure. We opened ours in the US when we went there on a field trip in Sep and it was very painless. We went with Bank of America (close to where we are etc and have branches everywhere it seems), and we just required 2 copies of photo ID and a small deposit to open and that is it.

I am sure there are some on here who have opened from the UK but it was really easy to open over there (in our experience anyway)

Regards

Sue Sep 29th 2009 12:30 pm

Hi friends,

Victor

If you are looking for a bricks and mortar branch (one that you can physically visit) then I wouldn't go with HSBC, I'm in NC and I don't think they have branches in this state.

Bob Sep 29th 2009 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 7974463)
If you are looking for a bricks and mortar branch (one that you can physically visit) then I wouldn't go with HSBC, I'm in NC and I don't think they have branches in this state.

They're mostly on the east coast, one in Boston....not much help there, but they do open accounts and internet banking is pretty good.

Personally go with AmEx for getting a credit card as last of credit history will be the main problem not the bank.

Have a read of the forum, quite a lot of info to get you started.

NYCbound Sep 30th 2009 8:23 am

Hi friends,

Victor

HSBC were VERY helpful, but then I am a long standing customer and my Hubby's company have a relationship with them (fee waived etc...) We managed to open checking, savings accounts and credit card over the phone/email/fax.
But then there is a HSBC near to Hubby's work, I think you may need a branch near you, more so then here.

cranston Sep 30th 2009 8:51 am

We started with a HSBC account and not being a Premier Client at that time paid them £100 fee.

For me, it was worth it to get a US credit card with a decent limit.

Victor88 Sep 30th 2009 11:22 am

Thanks all for the excellent advice.

Cranston - thanks for the tip about the credit card, it seems like that a good credit history is the most important thing to establish in the U.S. for a newcomer with no business associations.

HSBC don't have a presence in the Charlotte/NC area (not that I have seen), so it's a matter of whether telephone/internet banking works for me... which it does here in the UK. Don't need a bricks and mortar branch.

Lazzza Oct 2nd 2009 9:28 pm

I walked into a branch of Comerica on a visit to Houston recently. Took Passport and husband's work address. 10 minutes later, walked out with a 'checking' account and a credit card each. No problems. No issues. Happy days.:)

Manc Oct 2nd 2009 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 7974463)

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7975402)
They're mostly on the east coast,

just curious Bob, what coast do you think NC is on?

Bob Oct 2nd 2009 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7984903)
just curious Bob, what coast do you think NC is on?

:p

They aren't limited to the east coast, just that the majority of the branches are here.